Milk-Is it bad or good for you?

Lino249

Hello everyone, hope that you are enjoying the hot weather if you have any.

It's come up recently about milk being more hydrating than water, a link will below to see the page that showed it. Then I hear that milk can be very bad for you as it can lead to certain cancers or bone issues. I just wanted to ask some other people what the story is for this liquid as I'm sure a lot of people like to consume it once in a while. Hope it's not too strange.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/milk-water-drinks-research-hydration-powerade-orange-juice-2016-7 -Milk being good for you link

http://www.peta.org/living/food/reasons-stop-drinking-milk/ -Milk being bad for you link

Thanks in advance

I am allergic to milk, not lactose intolerant, actually allergic. It causes mucus in my lungs, and caught colds every year until I stopped drinking milk. It is definitely not good for me.

Milk is food for babies, and no animal except humans, drink milk except as babies, and some animals owned by people, cats for example. IMO we should follow the example set by nature, and stop drinking milk, except for babies.

Why on earth should you take anything seriously from PETA? They have a genuine interest in animal welfare, but making totally exaggerated claims about the negative aspects of drinking milk is not impressive. How meaningful is "Some evidence suggests that ..."?

Note also "showed that women who consumed four or more servings of dairy products each day were twice as likely to develop serous ovarian cancer as those who consumed two or fewer servings of dairy products each day". I wasn't aware that ovarian cancer could be trivial.

Milk is food for babies, and no animal except humans, drink milk except as babies, and some animals owned by people, cats for example. IMO we should follow the example set by nature, and stop drinking milk, except for babies.

No other animals except humans eat Chicken and Dumplings, either. Should we follow the example set by nature and stop eating chicken and dumplings?

Many animals other than humans eat their young. Should we follow the example set by nature and start eating our young?

My point being, I don't think that just because something is or is not done by other animals, that should determine what we do or don't do. On the other hand, if you've got an evidence based argument regarding adult consumption of milk I'd love to hear it.

No other animals except humans eat Chicken and Dumplings, either. Should we follow the example set by nature and stop eating chicken and dumplings?

Many animals other than humans eat their young. Should we follow the example set by nature and start eating our young?

My point being, I don't think that just because something is or is not done by other animals, that should determine what we do or don't do. On the other hand, if you've got an evidence based argument regarding adult consumption of milk I'd love to hear it.

I didn't discover being allergic to milk until I was about 45, and suffered from colds until I stopped milk. An allergy test I took did not discover my allergy. Thus, my recommendation is purely from personal experience, which is unique and not particularly significant. However, there are easy and inexpensive ways to get calcium and other minerals that are in milk, without drinking milk. I would have been better off, if I had stopped milk sooner. I've had one cold since stopping milk, about 25 years. You may use or ignore my advice and life experience as you wish.

i hear that there are some good things and bad things in there. I think milk that it natural without giving the cow hormones , is generaly good for you but they dont raise cows naturally they give them hormones and thats when it becomes unhealthy. i dont like drinking plain milk and i dont think i consume too much of it in products like icecream and others.

I didn't discover being allergic to milk until I was about 45, and suffered from colds until I stopped milk. An allergy test I took did not discover my allergy. Thus, my recommendation is purely from personal experience, which is unique and not particularly significant. However, there are easy and inexpensive ways to get calcium and other minerals that are in milk, without drinking milk. I would have been better off, if I had stopped milk sooner. I've had one cold since stopping milk, about 25 years. You may use or ignore my advice and life experience as you wish.

As far back as I can remember I've always loved milk. I'm 57 and still drink it daily. I go through a gallon about every six days or so. Unlike Moontanman I only drink non-fat milk. If milk is bad for people, I anticipate eventually being in BIG trouble.

As far back as I can remember I've always loved milk. I'm 57 and still drink it daily. I go through a gallon about every six days or so. Unlike Moontanman I only drink non-fat milk. If milk is bad for people, I anticipate eventually being in BIG trouble.

Yeah my wife makes me drink non fat milk... :mad:

PETA is certainly not a source to look for health advice. As with many things, it depends entirely on the amount (barring allergies). Also, one could take a look at it based on either individual benefit vs population-wide benefit.

The cited study does indicate that for rehydration purposes milk seems to perform similarly to oral rehydation solutions, measured via urine retention. In addition milk is a very accessible source of a number of nutrients. Of course, in many populations other sources can be readily found, whereas in others milk may be a crucial one. Likewise, excessive consumption can be detrimental because milk is so rich in nutrients, including fat (especially in full milk) that may need to be balanced by the regular diet.

Edit: crossposted

Edited by CharonY

Hello everyone, hope that you are enjoying the hot weather if you have any.

It's come up recently about milk being more hydrating than water, a link will below to see the page that showed it. Then I hear that milk can be very bad for you as it can lead to certain cancers or bone issues. I just wanted to ask some other people what the story is for this liquid as I'm sure a lot of people like to consume it once in a while. Hope it's not too strange.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/milk-water-drinks-research-hydration-powerade-orange-juice-2016-7 -Milk being good for you link

http://www.peta.org/living/food/reasons-stop-drinking-milk/ -Milk being bad for you link

Thanks in advance

I recall an article or science program on this subject wherein it was stated that about 65-70% of the world's population is incapable of digesting a milk sugar called lactose, beyond puberty. Those who are capable have a mutant gene that allows the continued production of lactase, which enables the digestion of lactose. It is believe that about 11,000 years ago, our European ancestors began producing cheese from milk, which decreased the lactose content of this milk product to tolerable levels. Soon after, our European and some African ancestors developed the lactase producing gene mutation. Currently, about 90% of our lactose tolerant population have European ancestry, while those with Asian and African ancestry comprise >10% each. Populations such as Native Americans, whose ancestors did not domesticate cattle, are completely lactose intolerant. For more on whether "milk does a body good", here is a DNews YouTube video whose host describes evidence that "those who drink three or more glasses of milk per day die at twice the rate of those who drink one glass per day." Enjoy!

Edited by DrmDoc

Milk is food for babies, and no animal except humans, drink milk except as babies, and some animals owned by people, cats for example.

Many humans have evolved to drink milk.

IMO we should follow the example set by nature, and stop drinking milk, except for babies.

So, no.