Magnetism Experiment

physicspenguin486

I have a project for my physics class regarding magnetism and want to demonstrate diamagnetism, ferromagnetism, and paramagnetism. Does anyone have any ideas for experiments where I can successfully show these? I want to keep it simple, as in the items involved in these experiments should be available in stores/online. Any ideas?

If I give you the following information you should be able to research a suitable demonstration

Paramagnetic materials have a permeability slightly greater than unity and small positive susceptibility. Examples are aluminium and platinum.

Ferromagnetic materials have a permeability much greater than unity and large positive susceptibility. Examples are iron, nickel and cobalt.

Diamagnetic materials have a permeability less than unity and negative susceptibility. Examples are copper, gold and bismuth.

I have a project for my physics class regarding magnetism and want to demonstrate diamagnetism, ferromagnetism, and paramagnetism. Does anyone have any ideas for experiments where I can successfully show these? I want to keep it simple, as in the items involved in these experiments should be available in stores/online. Any ideas?

This probably sounds like a stupid question but; who are you?

The right answer for a teacher isn't the same as that for a pupil, and in either case it would depend on the age of the class.

With respect, Sensei, how doe you idea answer the question about showing the difference between dia, para and ferro magnetism?

I mentioned susceptibility because the sign of this property determines whether the material will be attracted onto a given magnetic field or repelled out of it.

AFAICS the subject was not show differences between them, but to show them at all..

I just gave example device for showing magnetic field lines.

Which can be used to show magnetic field created by electromagnets or permanent magnets.

Treat is as addition (rather than replacement) to what you said (what would be sense repeating the same anyway?).

I have device showing diamagnetic levitation.

Composed of couple permanent neodymium magnets, and very tiny Pyrolytic carbon, maybe 1-2 mm^2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolytic_carbon

After placing carbon above magnets, it's levitating.

Tried to make photo for forum members (for different thread) but distance it levitate above magnets is so small, it's barely/not visible on photo..

But getting it would be harder than compass array. And less useful.

It's one time show. Your head has to be 10 cm from it to even see it.. It's levitating maybe 0.1mm at most above magnets..

I think so visualization of magnetic field lines, when we not dont pass current through electromagnet, pass current in one direction, and pass current in reverse direction, and observation how compass array arrows are spinning is quite interesting and entertaining experiment..

I mentioned susceptibility because the sign of this property determines whether the material will be attracted onto a given magnetic field or repelled out of it.

Well, you have to visualize magnetic field, in the first place.. And that's job of compass array.. :)

Edited by Sensei