US health insurance too complicated ?

oldtobor

I may have to go to the US for a period of 3 months to 2 years. I want to buy my own health insurance because either I work on my own or not at all or in modest paying jobs that don't offer health insurance. How much would it cost me to buy my own in the US ?

I saw a documentary explaining this on a European TV channel. It seemed quite complicated, depending on whether you live in a city or suburbs it seems the price for your private insurance can be between 100 and 700 dollars a month.

There also seems to be a struggle between doctors, hospitals etc. for expenses so even if you have an insurance, in many suburbs doctors and hospitals wouldn't cover it. I was suprised by how complicated the whole issue was! Is there any simple rule of thumb I can use to estimate how much it would cost ? I intend to be in a suburb NJ or PA. Also many in the program said they simply don't pay anything even after they go to the hospital.

Don't get health insurance. If you need an emergency hospital just go to the hospital and after give them a tip. Maybe 20 30 dollars and say you can't pay.

A personal health insurance would cost 300 dollars a month.

Try not to get sick at all.

You can get a catastrophic policy for yourself only for about $75 (US) per month. A catastrophic policy is one that does not start paying until you reach a very high amount that you owe, perhaps $5,000 or $10,000. These are not for small things but will cover you if you were in say a bad car wreck. You are correct about things being complicated. I have been fighting for months to get a bill cleared up. I can’t get the doctor and the insurance company to talk to each other. It is just a fight we all have to endure.

I imagine there's alot of work for lawyers too! So hospitals fight with insurances fight with doctors fight with patients and lawyers make the money.

Can I get by with no insurance at all and in case of emergency go to the hospital and then just leave a tip ?

Can I get by with no insurance at all and in case of emergency go to the hospital and then just leave a tip ?

That sounds like an incredibly bad idea. Don't take chances with something like this. If you are hurt in an accident you could easily find yourself facing a bill of thousands of dollars. People lose their homes because they haven't taken out health insurance when they go travelling.

Without health insurance a car accident could mean the loss of your home. For the sake of the £200 or so needed to get cover it really isn't worth the risk.

That sounds like an incredibly bad idea. Don't take chances with something like this. If you are hurt in an accident you could easily find yourself facing a bill of thousands of dollars. People lose their homes because they haven't taken out health insurance when they go travelling.

Without health insurance a car accident could mean the loss of your home. For the sake of the £200 or so needed to get cover it really isn't worth the risk.

But oldtobor is visiting rather than living here. Without a home to lose and without assets that can be attached in a suit, he can probably get by pretty well with the catastrophic insurance and, if he leases or rents a car, uninsured motorists coverage.

Hospitals cannot turn people away in an emergency.

On the other hand, if oldtobor is thinking of settling in the U.S. for an extended time, health insurance may then make sense. It really depends upon the length of stay and what assets he intends to acquire.

Does anyone know whether traveler's insurance might be a possibility?

Also, I believe some people in business for themselves can join associations that help them tap into some sort of insurance cooperative. But I don't know much about this. (But I should. :embarass: )

I am on a wing and a "prayer" most of the time.

Oldtobor,

I may have to go to the US for a period of 3 months to 2 years. I want to buy my own health insurance because either I work on my own or not at all or in modest paying jobs that don't offer health insurance. How much would it cost me to buy my own in the US ?

If you dont plan to be in the US for too long, and dont expect to have much specialized care, your most convenient insurance option to find a good pre-paid health plan through a good HMO. It gives you a broad range of health coverage, and if your HMO is cooperative it allows you and your employer to pay a set amount each year in return for health care and hospital coverage.

Some information about HMOs and a few other types of coverage can be found here.

I dont know much about the costs of HMO premiums as they tend to vary from state to state, but I have read they have an average cost of about US$300 a month (give or take). Typically with contribution between government and your employer, you should expect to pay at least US$20 a month out of your own pocket. (Those figures come from my own estimation from this NJ federal employees health benefits page.)