Why Time Dialation isn't required to solve the twin paradox.

TakenItSeriously

If wave speed = frequency (hertz) × wavelength (metre), then lower Ghz suggests slower wave speed....so in effect things are happening more slowly (in comparison with the inertial framework of the earthbound twin) because the EM waves are moving comparatively slower, thereby accounting for the slower metabolism and thus ageing of the traveling twin.....?

From whence would Lorentz shift come from if not from gravity?

In SR, acceleration is the equivalent to gravity, which might be the answer you're looking for.

But to answer your question about the source of the Lorentz shift. It doesn't come from gravity, it's more of a mathematical relationship that predates relativity. I'm not certain of it's history, or original purpose, but it essentially is a kind of exponential scale factor.

The fact that it is used in both GR and SR may not be a coincdence, but it's application is not the same.

In GR, it's based upon the properties of gravity.

In SR, it's based upon the properties of velocity.

Therefore the mechanisms for it's use are very different.

post-115209-0-52348600-1471160973.pngpost-115209-0-86683300-1471161002.png

Figure 1 & 2:

The graph on the left shows the degree of impact the Lorentz factor plays as the scales of velocity approach c.

The graph on the right right shows the inverse of the Lorentz factor with respect to the ratio of v/c. It's interesting to note that some would say that the graph on the right shows that the change in speed relative to an outside observer is related to a dimensional shift or rotation in spacetime.

Edited by TakenItSeriously

Thank you for the information (rather than just telling me to go away and study), though I don't know why some of the experts on this forum bother explaining things to beginners. And, yes, I understand that the Lorentz effect greatly increases as a massive body approaches the speed of light.

To me, time is just an abstraction. I am not looking for some type of medium or aether, but it does seem to me that "time" is just an abstract term that refers to the way that the EM waves are propagating as the universe expands. Indeed, it seems that something happens to the waves with regard to acceleration and/or rate at which massive bodies are traveling. Since massive bodies are composed of energy, presumably in the form of EM waves (?), there seems to be some sort of tradeoff between the rate at which the EM waves are decomposing (e.g., longer life span of muons, metabolism of space traveling twin or dead sea beach bum) within the massive body itself and the speed of EM waves (e.g., light) in general, so that c+v has been interpreted as only possible if time itself slows down, since c is invariable.

To me, it seems that time is a fudge factor for what really goes on, which is that the EM waves change in some way (not only observationally, but also physically, e.g., change in frequency) that would explain the slower rates of decomposition/aging/entropy. I read somewhere that there are two types of shift, one that is observational (e.g., red shift), and one that is physical (e.g., perhaps relativity shift). Perhaps the space of zillions of tiny parts of the universe are expanding at different rates in accordance with the rate at which massive bodies are moving. (I have read that, on some infinitesimally small level, time slows down if one gets up from the sofa and goes to the the fridge to make a sandwich as one is then traveling outside ones inertial frame).

As for the twin issue, again, I wonder what would happen if the traveling twin kept going and never returned home. As a 'thought experiment', even though we can't compare the clocks, I wonder if we can't presume that the traveling clock ticks at a different rate in comparison with the earthbound twin's clock.

Another thought experiment that crossed my mind is to suppose that everyone in the world is sleeping and traveling through space in proper time, and only one person gets up and travels at near the speed of light for 30 years and then returns....Would not he be out of sync with everyone's clock on earth, and not just the twin who lives in the same house as himself....that is, hasn't the traveling twin left the inertial frame of everyone on earth in this scenario?

Again, please excuse my ignorance on this topic...I am reading up on the topic in my spare time, but thought I would throw a couple of thoughts out there while this forum thread is open.

Edited by disarray

Again, please excuse my ignorance on this topic...I am reading up on the topic in my spare time, but thought I would throw a couple of thoughts out there while this forum thread is open.

Ignorance is fixable, but you have to be willing to part with your preconceptions, i.e. the mechanisms you have described here. c being invariant leads directly to time and length being relative. No mechanism required.