What evidence is there for life after death?

seriously disabled

Some countless websites on Google claim that there is life beyond death but what does science have to say about this especially biology, chemistry and physics?

Is life after death just wishful thinking or is there some science beyond this?

If evolution is indeed true and humanity indeed evolved from more fundamental forms of life, does this mean that there is no life after death?

Edited by seriously disabled

As you have posted in physics, you want a physics answer... there is no evidence of a spirit or the afterlife that would stand up to any scientific scrutiny. There is no 'physics theory' of the afterlife - whatever some websites may tell you.

ajb is quite right!..

really I have a project to catch some clues about t-time parameter whether we may make any change on it by observation.

but , dont want to make any religious explanation about it like ajb. I do not say these are separate. but I say we still have no evidence at this century relevancy between these two subjects : 1)religion 2) science (especially mathematics-physics) ..

the most clear thing that I may say ; we should/must be able to express or live our ideas relevant religion (if we do not give unrest to anyone). not else more..

Edited by blue89

As you have posted in physics, you want a physics answer... there is no evidence of a spirit or the afterlife that would stand up to any scientific scrutiny. There is no 'physics theory' of the afterlife - whatever some websites may tell you.

I think I agree with you on this.

Also there is growing evidence from evolutionary biology that humans evolved from more basic forms of life, although the origin of life as we currently understand it is still a mystery though.

There is also evidence coming from the neurosciences that claims that consciousness is a product of a functioning brain and when the brain stops working (aka registering neurons), consciousness simply stops to be and we die.

There is a growing body of evidence that people who suffered damage to their brains have experience a complete personality change and some even lost the ability to move and speak.

So what if what makes me me and you you is really just activity in the brain then the conclusion I can draw from this is that there is no afterlife when the brain stops functioning.

Edited by seriously disabled

Also there is growing evidence from evolutionary biology that humans evolved from more basic forms of life, although the origin of life as we currently understand it is still a mystery though.

There is also evidence coming from the neurosciences that claims that consciousness is a product of a functioning brain and when the brain stops working (aka registering neurons), consciousness simply stops to be and we die.

There is a growing body of evidence that people who suffered damage to their brains have experience a complete personality change and some even lost the ability to move and speak.

So what if what makes me me and you you is really just activity in the brain then the conclusion I can draw from this is that there is no afterlife when the brain stops functioning.

all the keywords are I am intersted with them according to my project(s) ,only one except : look the biggest one is that one.

I think we will never be able to explore that. however although I would be interested in physics ,I dont wnt to be interested in metaphysics.

Edited by blue89

Neuroscience confirms that what makes me, me and what makes you, you, is an expression of brain function. My consciousness, identity, and personality is distinct from yours because that is how our brain has interpreted those qualities arising from our individual life experience. There are some who believe that consciousness is a form of energy that can only be transform by death rather than dissipated. Although I do not subscribe to such notions, I do believe that there is more to life than death. In death, I believe the body that once produced the consciousness of DrmDoc will decompose and eventually return to the star stuff from which all matter arose.

Edited by DrmDoc

Our atoms live on and get recycled into other organisms and into other lifeless materials. We continue to exist via the chemoelectrical processes taking place in the still living memories (brains) of those who knew us. Our actions carry forward and spread outward like ripples in a pond generated by a tossed rock, and our offspring surviving us continue that influence on the cosmos and community around them.

But yeah, little more than wishful thinking for pretty much all else.

Edited by iNow

What evidence is there for life after death?

Should not you be more interested in "how to sustain life as long as possible", "how to sustain life indefinitely long".. ?

DNA and cells degenerate with time. Suspending it or reversing this process is what scientists can work on.

Should not you be more interested in "how to sustain life as long as possible", "how to sustain life indefinitely long".. ?

Shouldn't we allow people to choose for themselves what questions they wish to ask?

Quantum theory does not rule out the possibility of the survival of consciousness after death. Because quantum vibrations have just recently been discovered in microtubules in the brain which supports the much derided 1990s theory that consciousness is derived from deeper level, finer scale activities inside brain neurons. Read more about this recent scientific discovery of quantum vibrations in microtubules here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm . This theory of "quantum consciousness" is the theory known as "Orchestrated Objective Reduction" (Orch-OR) which was developed by the joint work of theoretical physicist, Sir Roger Penrose, and anesthesiologist Stuart Hameroff. Penrose approached the problem of consciousness from the view point of mathematics, while Hameroff approached it from his career in anesthesia that gave him an interest in brain structures.

Mainstream theories of consciousness use classical mechanics in assuming consciousness is produced from "goo". So they focus particularly on complex computation at synapses in the brain allowing communication between neurons. But Orch-OR assumes classical physics cannot fully explain consciousness. In the June 1994 issue of Discover Magazine, an article ran called "Quantum Consciousness" about how consciousness and quantum physics are intimately connected. This theory of quantum consciousness suggests that consciousness is processed inside the microtubules of brain cells. At death, the quantum information processed inside these microtubules doesn’t disappear; but instead, is retained in on the edge of the universe's event horizon allowing such information to be retrieved after death. One of the fundamental laws in physics, the first law of thermodynamics, states that energy cannot be created nor destroyed - it can only be converted. So if it is true that consciousness is a form of energy, then according to the first law of thermodynamics, consciousness cannot be created nor destroyed. Instead, it is converted into something else.

The reductive materialist model on which conventional science is based is fundamentally flawed. At its core, it intentionally ignores the fundamental component of existence - the nature of consciousness. The pioneers of quantum mechanics demonstrated that consciousness has a definite role in creating reality. But it was the "quantum eraser experiments" (Google it) performed in 2000 and later which strongly demonstrated that consciousness itself is deeply rooted in quantum processes. Quantum eraser experiments by Wheeler and others reveal that an experimenter is able to successfully choose and predict the random outcome of an event even after the outcome has already taken place. Quantum eraser experiments show how the outcome of whether or not a photon of light is a wave or a particle can be predicted after the fact by the experimenter making a random mental choice of the experiment's outcome. In other words, the experimenter's "after the fact" choice of the outcome actually determines the experiment's outcome. These astonishing findings dramatically shows that our choices made today may determine the outcome of our past.

This astonishing finding, where quantum information is processed backward in time as well as forward, is supported by the "Holographic Principle" (google it) developed by Leonard Susskind which theorizes the universe to be a hologram. Just recently this theory has been verified. See this article: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=universe-really-is-a-holo The universe as a single hologram solves the mystery of "quantum entanglement" which Einstein called "spooky actions from a distance."

This holistic view of the universe (as opposed to the reductionist view) can also be applied to the human brain. A holographic universe and holographic brain also falsifies dualism as it relates to the mind and body. The Holographic Principle was a catalyst towards a theory of "quantum consciousness" called the "Holonomic Brain Theory" (google it) which explains how the brain encodes memories in a holographic manner. The Holonomic Brain Theory originated from David Bohm and Karl Pribram who synchronistically arrived at a holographic model of the universe and mind at the same time. Taken all together, these holographic theories support a newly emerging paradigm called "holism." Holism is the principle of a whole system being more than just the sum of its parts as opposed to reductionism. The best way to study the behavior of many complex systems is to treat it as a whole.

One of the most amazing things about the human thinking process being holographic is that every piece of information is instantly cross-correlated with every other piece of information both inside and outside the brain - another feature intrinsic to the hologram. Because every portion of a hologram is infinitely interconnected with every other portion, the human brain is perhaps one of nature's supreme examples of a cross-correlated, holistic system.

Encoding and decoding light frequencies is precisely what a hologram does best. Just as a hologram functions as a lens which translates meaningless blurs of frequencies into a coherent image, Pribram theorizes the brain also comprises a lens (e.g., our eyes) and uses holographic principles to mathematically convert frequencies received by the senses into the inner world of our perceptions. This holistic and holographic theory of how the brain processes information and stores it in a nonlocal manner becomes more understandable when, according to the theory, the brain acts as a filter which translates the avalanche of frequencies the brain receives via the senses (light frequencies, sound frequencies, etc.) into the concrete world of our perceptions. An impressive body of evidence suggests the brain uses quantum holographic principles to perform its operations. Pribram's theory, in fact, has gained increasing support among neurophysiologists.

A good analogy of this theory of the brain acting as a filter of information (as opposed to the brain acting solely as the originator of information) is that the brain acts much like a radio receiver. When death occurs, the brain's receiving and filtering function dies along with the brain; but the nonlocal quantum information of consciousness does not. In the same way, if you destroy a radio, the nonlocal radio frequencies which the radio processes into the radio announcer's voice is not destroyed but continues to exist in the airwaves. In a holographic universe, this nonlocal quantum information of consciousness is stored (i.e., "painted") like all quantum information in the universe as interference patterns upon the two-dimensional edge of the event horizon of the black hole from which our universe was projected from. As with any hologram, it is from these two-dimensional interference patterns that a three-dimensional hologram is produced. So the brain's process of quantum information being stored upon the edge of our universe's event horizon may be the basis for consciousness transcending and surviving physical death as revealed in near-death experiences. This holographic paradigm supports the idea that consciousness does not originate from "goo" (i.e. material brains.) So, in this sense, looking to see how consciousness originates in the brain is much like looking inside a radio for the announcer.

I could go on and mention other interpretations of quantum mechanics supporting a transcendent consciousness such as the Many-Worlds Theory, and its corresponding Many-Minds Theory, and the Zero-Point Field Theory; but I don't have the time or space.

The old materialistic paradigm, prevalent mostly in the West, disregards the possibility of out-of-body dimensions; whereas, the new paradigm supports them. For this reason, open-minded scientists have acknowledged the time is now to abandon the old paradigm and focus on the new one. Disregarding the old paradigm became even more reasonable when, in December of 2001, The Lancet (the United Kingdom's highly respected journal of medicine) published the results of a study by Dr. Pim van Lommel showing 18 percent of clinically dead patients having NDEs. Lommel's study documented verified events observed by such patients from a perspective removed from their bodies - called "veridical perception" - suggesting the existence of a transcendent consciousness. Such studies beg the question of why the scientific community at large remains mostly silent about these facts. Current near-death studies, such as "The AWARE Study" (google it) is trying to determine if consciousness transcends the body after death. The director of this study, Dr. Sam Parnia M.D., is a critical care physician and director of resuscitation research at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine in New York and is recognized as an authority on the scientific study of death, the human mind–brain relationship, and near-death experience. Dr. Parnia has been part of the AWARE study, launched by "The Human Consciousness Project," in which 25 participating hospitals across Europe and North America have been examining reports of patients after their clinical death, several of whom are expected to have an out-of-body experience with physical perceptions of their surroundings. A major objective of the AWARE study is to test whether these out-of-body perceptions reported by these patients can be validated. One method involves visual targets being placed near the ceiling where it can only be seen by someone reading it from above their body. Patients who report OBEs are then asked to describe what they saw. If what they saw matches the target information then out-of-body perception has been scientifically validated..

Near-death studies contain multiple reports of veridical perception of events which were outside the range of the NDE experiencer's sensory perception and, therefore, of brain mediation. In some cases, such perceptions occur while the NDE experiencer has no brain activity. Hundreds of such cases are published on www.iands.org, www.nderf.org, www.oberf.org and www.near-death.com. Taken altogether, the evidence strongly suggests the possibility of NDE and OBE perception occurring without the help of the physical senses or the brain. Therefore, for skeptics to refer to NDEs and OBEs in general as "illusions" or "delusions" is ignoring much evidence to the contrary. According to veridical NDE experts Jan Holden and Jeffrey Long: "Even if future research convincingly demonstrated that electrical stimulation of a particular area of the brain consistently induced typical OBEs, this finding would not explain veridical perception associated with OBEs."

The AWARE study will release its preliminary findings in 2014. If cases of out-of-body veridical perception have been scientifically proven, then the hypothesis of consciousness surviving death will come very close to being a scientific fact. Here is one doctor's describing a patient who successfully read a 12-digit number while out of their body: http://www.npr.org/books/titles/263101025/the-death-class-a-true-story-about-life#excerpt

Also note that anyone who doesn't understand these principles of quantum theory and consciousness (usually magician/skeptics) often refer to this as "woo woo." So whenever you read or hear anyone referring this as "woo woo," you know they haven't done their homework.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Williams, B.Sc.

"Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because,
in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the
mystery that we are trying to solve." - Max Planck, one of the founders of
quantum mechanics

The AWARE study will release its preliminary findings in 2014.

Presumably their findings were negative, then, as there were no world-changing announcements about the results.

Also note that anyone who doesn't understand these principles of quantum theory and consciousness (usually magician/skeptics) often refer to this as "woo woo." So whenever you read or hear anyone referring this as "woo woo," you know they haven't done their homework.

Clever attempt to defuse the claim by poisoning the well. It doesn't change the fact that your post is a mixture of misunderstandings, made up "facts" and mumbo-jumbo. Or, as it is better known: woo.

But it was the "quantum eraser experiments" (Google it) performed in 2000 and later which strongly demonstrated that consciousness itself is deeply rooted in quantum processes. Quantum eraser experiments by Wheeler and others reveal that an experimenter is able to successfully choose and predict the random outcome of an event even after the outcome has already taken place.

This is what is technically known as "bollocks".

Quantum theory does not rule out the possibility of the survival of consciousness after death. Because quantum vibrations have just recently been discovered in microtubules in the brain which supports the much derided 1990s theory that consciousness is derived from deeper level, finer scale activities inside brain neurons. Read more about this recent scientific discovery of quantum vibrations in microtubules here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm . This theory of "quantum consciousness" is the theory known as "Orchestrated Objective Reduction" (Orch-OR) which was developed by the joint work of theoretical physicist, Sir Roger Penrose, and anesthesiologist Stuart Hameroff. Penrose approached the problem of consciousness from the view point of mathematics, while Hameroff approached it from his career in anesthesia that gave him an interest in brain structures.

Mainstream theories of consciousness use classical mechanics in assuming consciousness is produced from "goo". So they focus particularly on complex computation at synapses in the brain allowing communication between neurons. But Orch-OR assumes classical physics cannot fully explain consciousness. In the June 1994 issue of Discover Magazine, an article ran called "Quantum Consciousness" about how consciousness and quantum physics are intimately connected. This theory of quantum consciousness suggests that consciousness is processed inside the microtubules of brain cells. At death, the quantum information processed inside these microtubules doesnt disappear; but instead, is retained in on the edge of the universe's event horizon allowing such information to be retrieved after death. One of the fundamental laws in physics, the first law of thermodynamics, states that energy cannot be created nor destroyed - it can only be converted. So if it is true that consciousness is a form of energy, then according to the first law of thermodynamics, consciousness cannot be created nor destroyed. Instead, it is converted into something else.

The reductive materialist model on which conventional science is based is fundamentally flawed. At its core, it intentionally ignores the fundamental component of existence - the nature of consciousness. The pioneers of quantum mechanics demonstrated that consciousness has a definite role in creating reality. But it was the "quantum eraser experiments" (Google it) performed in 2000 and later which strongly demonstrated that consciousness itself is deeply rooted in quantum processes. Quantum eraser experiments by Wheeler and others reveal that an experimenter is able to successfully choose and predict the random outcome of an event even after the outcome has already taken place. Quantum eraser experiments show how the outcome of whether or not a photon of light is a wave or a particle can be predicted after the fact by the experimenter making a random mental choice of the experiment's outcome. In other words, the experimenter's "after the fact" choice of the outcome actually determines the experiment's outcome. These astonishing findings dramatically shows that our choices made today may determine the outcome of our past.

This astonishing finding, where quantum information is processed backward in time as well as forward, is supported by the "Holographic Principle" (google it) developed by Leonard Susskind which theorizes the universe to be a hologram. Just recently this theory has been verified. See this article: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=universe-really-is-a-holo The universe as a single hologram solves the mystery of "quantum entanglement" which Einstein called "spooky actions from a distance."

This holistic view of the universe (as opposed to the reductionist view) can also be applied to the human brain. A holographic universe and holographic brain also falsifies dualism as it relates to the mind and body. The Holographic Principle was a catalyst towards a theory of "quantum consciousness" called the "Holonomic Brain Theory" (google it) which explains how the brain encodes memories in a holographic manner. The Holonomic Brain Theory originated from David Bohm and Karl Pribram who synchronistically arrived at a holographic model of the universe and mind at the same time. Taken all together, these holographic theories support a newly emerging paradigm called "holism." Holism is the principle of a whole system being more than just the sum of its parts as opposed to reductionism. The best way to study the behavior of many complex systems is to treat it as a whole.

One of the most amazing things about the human thinking process being holographic is that every piece of information is instantly cross-correlated with every other piece of information both inside and outside the brain - another feature intrinsic to the hologram. Because every portion of a hologram is infinitely interconnected with every other portion, the human brain is perhaps one of nature's supreme examples of a cross-correlated, holistic system.

Encoding and decoding light frequencies is precisely what a hologram does best. Just as a hologram functions as a lens which translates meaningless blurs of frequencies into a coherent image, Pribram theorizes the brain also comprises a lens (e.g., our eyes) and uses holographic principles to mathematically convert frequencies received by the senses into the inner world of our perceptions. This holistic and holographic theory of how the brain processes information and stores it in a nonlocal manner becomes more understandable when, according to the theory, the brain acts as a filter which translates the avalanche of frequencies the brain receives via the senses (light frequencies, sound frequencies, etc.) into the concrete world of our perceptions. An impressive body of evidence suggests the brain uses quantum holographic principles to perform its operations. Pribram's theory, in fact, has gained increasing support among neurophysiologists.

A good analogy of this theory of the brain acting as a filter of information (as opposed to the brain acting solely as the originator of information) is that the brain acts much like a radio receiver. When death occurs, the brain's receiving and filtering function dies along with the brain; but the nonlocal quantum information of consciousness does not. In the same way, if you destroy a radio, the nonlocal radio frequencies which the radio processes into the radio announcer's voice is not destroyed but continues to exist in the airwaves. In a holographic universe, this nonlocal quantum information of consciousness is stored (i.e., "painted") like all quantum information in the universe as interference patterns upon the two-dimensional edge of the event horizon of the black hole from which our universe was projected from. As with any hologram, it is from these two-dimensional interference patterns that a three-dimensional hologram is produced. So the brain's process of quantum information being stored upon the edge of our universe's event horizon may be the basis for consciousness transcending and surviving physical death as revealed in near-death experiences. This holographic paradigm supports the idea that consciousness does not originate from "goo" (i.e. material brains.) So, in this sense, looking to see how consciousness originates in the brain is much like looking inside a radio for the announcer.

I could go on and mention other interpretations of quantum mechanics supporting a transcendent consciousness such as the Many-Worlds Theory, and its corresponding Many-Minds Theory, and the Zero-Point Field Theory; but I don't have the time or space.

The old materialistic paradigm, prevalent mostly in the West, disregards the possibility of out-of-body dimensions; whereas, the new paradigm supports them. For this reason, open-minded scientists have acknowledged the time is now to abandon the old paradigm and focus on the new one. Disregarding the old paradigm became even more reasonable when, in December of 2001, The Lancet (the United Kingdom's highly respected journal of medicine) published the results of a study by Dr. Pim van Lommel showing 18 percent of clinically dead patients having NDEs. Lommel's study documented verified events observed by such patients from a perspective removed from their bodies - called "veridical perception" - suggesting the existence of a transcendent consciousness. Such studies beg the question of why the scientific community at large remains mostly silent about these facts. Current near-death studies, such as "The AWARE Study" (google it) is trying to determine if consciousness transcends the body after death. The director of this study, Dr. Sam Parnia M.D., is a critical care physician and director of resuscitation research at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine in New York and is recognized as an authority on the scientific study of death, the human mindbrain relationship, and near-death experience. Dr. Parnia has been part of the AWARE study, launched by "The Human Consciousness Project," in which 25 participating hospitals across Europe and North America have been examining reports of patients after their clinical death, several of whom are expected to have an out-of-body experience with physical perceptions of their surroundings. A major objective of the AWARE study is to test whether these out-of-body perceptions reported by these patients can be validated. One method involves visual targets being placed near the ceiling where it can only be seen by someone reading it from above their body. Patients who report OBEs are then asked to describe what they saw. If what they saw matches the target information then out-of-body perception has been scientifically validated..

Near-death studies contain multiple reports of veridical perception of events which were outside the range of the NDE experiencer's sensory perception and, therefore, of brain mediation. In some cases, such perceptions occur while the NDE experiencer has no brain activity. Hundreds of such cases are published on www.iands.org, www.nderf.org, www.oberf.org and www.near-death.com. Taken altogether, the evidence strongly suggests the possibility of NDE and OBE perception occurring without the help of the physical senses or the brain. Therefore, for skeptics to refer to NDEs and OBEs in general as "illusions" or "delusions" is ignoring much evidence to the contrary. According to veridical NDE experts Jan Holden and Jeffrey Long: "Even if future research convincingly demonstrated that electrical stimulation of a particular area of the brain consistently induced typical OBEs, this finding would not explain veridical perception associated with OBEs."

The AWARE study will release its preliminary findings in 2014. If cases of out-of-body veridical perception have been scientifically proven, then the hypothesis of consciousness surviving death will come very close to being a scientific fact. Here is one doctor's describing a patient who successfully read a 12-digit number while out of their body: http://www.npr.org/books/titles/263101025/the-death-class-a-true-story-about-life#excerpt

Hope this helps.

Kevin Williams, B.Sc.

quantum mechanics

9vzYQwj.jpg

Mainstream theories of consciousness use classical mechanics in assuming consciousness is produced from "goo". So they focus particularly on complex computation at synapses in the brain allowing communication between neurons. But Orch-OR assumes classical physics cannot fully explain consciousness. In the June 1994 issue of Discover Magazine, an article ran called "Quantum Consciousness" about how consciousness and quantum physics are intimately connected. This theory of quantum consciousness suggests that consciousness is processed inside the microtubules of brain cells. At death, the quantum information processed inside these microtubules doesn’t disappear; but instead, is retained in on the edge of the universe's event horizon allowing such information to be retrieved after death. One of the fundamental laws in physics, the first law of thermodynamics, states that energy cannot be created nor destroyed - it can only be converted. So if it is true that consciousness is a form of energy, then according to the first law of thermodynamics, consciousness cannot be created nor destroyed. Instead, it is converted into something else.

The old materialistic paradigm, prevalent mostly in the West, disregards the possibility of out-of-body dimensions; whereas, the new paradigm supports them. For this reason, open-minded scientists have acknowledged the time is now to abandon the old paradigm and focus on the new one. Disregarding the old paradigm became even more reasonable when, in December of 2001, The Lancet (the United Kingdom's highly respected journal of medicine) published the results of a study by Dr. Pim van Lommel showing 18 percent of clinically dead patients having NDEs. Lommel's study documented verified events observed by such patients from a perspective removed from their bodies - called "veridical perception" - suggesting the existence of a transcendent consciousness. Such studies beg the question of why the scientific community at large remains mostly silent about these facts. Current near-death studies, such as "The AWARE Study" (google it) is trying to determine if consciousness transcends the body after death. The director of this study, Dr. Sam Parnia M.D., is a critical care physician and director of resuscitation research at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine in New York and is recognized as an authority on the scientific study of death, the human mind–brain relationship, and near-death experience. Dr. Parnia has been part of the AWARE study, launched by "The Human Consciousness Project," in which 25 participating hospitals across Europe and North America have been examining reports of patients after their clinical death, several of whom are expected to have an out-of-body experience with physical perceptions of their surroundings. A major objective of the AWARE study is to test whether these out-of-body perceptions reported by these patients can be validated. One method involves visual targets being placed near the ceiling where it can only be seen by someone reading it from above their body. Patients who report OBEs are then asked to describe what they saw. If what they saw matches the target information then out-of-body perception has been scientifically validated..

Hope this helps.

Kevin Williams, B.Sc.

quantum mechanics

Quantum physics works at the quantum scale; mind/consciousness is an emergent,macro phenomenon. Read about emergence.

!

Moderator Note

Before we go down this rabbit hole any further, let me remind everyone that the topic of discussion is evidence of life after death, and that this was posted in physics.

Discussion of "quantum consciousness" or permutations of that phrase, are off-topic.

NEARDEATH wrote: The AWARE study will release its preliminary findings in 2014.

STRANGE replied: Presumably their findings were negative, then, as there were no world-changing announcements about the results.

NEARDEATH's replies: The final results came out in 2015. Of the 2,060 cardiac patients experiencing clinical death, 330 patients were resuscitated and survived, 46% of patients had cognitive memories during the experience, 9% of these patients reported having core elements of a near-death experience (NDE). Of these, 2% recalled having out-of-body (OBE) perceptions of actual events related to their resuscitation. Of these, only one patient had a verifiable period of conscious awareness during which time cerebral function ceased. Although no patient reported seeing the preset targets, this one patient's case of verified OBE perception is notable. The 57-year-old patient described floating up to a corner of the room, seeing medical staff work on him, and watching himself be defibrillated. Details of his resuscitation which he observed were later validated. What's more, after triangulating the patient’s perceptions with the actual events in the ER, it was determined the patient's OBE perceptions lasted for as long as three minutes after clinical death. The brain typically flatlines on an EEG within about 20 seconds of the heart stopping. Resuscitation efforts will get enough blood flowing to slow cell death, but not enough to regain brain function for conscious awareness. So unlike an unconscious brain under anesthetic or coma, this patient brain was in flatline and not functioning while the validated perceptions were occurring. Only when his heart started beating on its own was enough brain function restored. This study concluded that future studies with larger patient participation would be necessary to collect enough evidence for conclusive proof of survival of consciousness after death. Although the study involved roughly 1,000 preset targets at various hospitals, only 22% of the cardiac arrests occurred anywhere near these targets. The one validated patient wasn’t one of them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STRINGJUNKY wrote: Quantum physics works at the quantum scale; mind/consciousness is an emergent,macro phenomenon. Read about emergence.

NEARDEATH replies: Quantum processes in living systems is an emergent field termed "quantum biology" and in theory supports consciousness survival.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEARDEATH wrote: Quantum theory does not rule out the possibility of the survival of consciousness after death beause ... "Orchestrated Objective Reduction"

(Orch-OR) ...developed by the joint work of theoretical physicist, Sir Roger Penrose ...

SWANSONT replied: Discussion of "quantum consciousness" or permutations of that phrase, are off-topic.

NEARDEATH's replies: OK, I will stick to theoretical physics related to evidence of survival of consciousness after death such as

(1) David Bohm's holographic principle: http://www.near-death.com/science/research/science.html#a04
(2) Pribram's holonomic model of brain function: http://www.near-death.com/science/research/science.html#a05
(3) Quantum superposition: http://www.near-death.com/science/research/science.html#a08
(4) Dewitt's many-worlds interpretation of QM: http://www.near-death.com/science/research/science.html#a09
(5) Zeh's many-minds interpretation of QM: http://www.near-death.com/science/research/science.html#a10
(6) Leonard Susskind's M-Theory: http://www.near-death.com/science/research/science.html#a12
(7) Papers on NDEs and quantum physics: http://www.near-death.com/science/research/science.html#a15

SWANSONT replied: Discussion of "quantum consciousness" or permutations of that phrase, are off-topic.

NEARDEATH's replies: OK, I will stick to theoretical physics related to evidence of survival of consciousness after death such as

!

Moderator Note

Repeat after me, if necessary (To yourself. Not here): The topic here is life after death, not survival of consciousness. (Also, models are not evidence).

Edit: if you want to discuss this, open a new thread on consciousness. This one is about the afterlife, as per the thread originator.

Perhaps this topic should be moved to the Medical Science forum since the only afterlife of brain death is the physiology of decomposition--that is unless the physics of physical decomposition is the interest here. The brain produces consciousness and the physiology of the dying brain provides a plethora of explanations for NDE and the perception of life after death. At present, there is no tangible or verifiable evidence in universally accepted science of a continuation of consciousness after brain death.

Edited by DrmDoc

Through quantum decoherence and superposition, the idea of parallel universes offers the best possibility for the existence of a parallel universe acting as a person's afterlife universe when death occurs. As derived from the many-worlds interpretation of QM, it is theoretically possible a living person (including the electrical discharges occurring throughout their nervous system) to exist in superposition in a parallel universe. Many-worlds views reality as a many-branched tree where every possible quantum outcome is realized including the possibility of branches to universes that doesn't lead to a living person's death. Theoretically, this makes it possible for a living person to continue living in a parallel universe when the person dies in this current universe.

Okay we are going to get a few things across here one of my sentences are a little off I am typing with my voice because I do not have time to type right now. I trained to be a neuroscientist for a while so I understand the basics and I keep up on the research phase to other people my family are a neuroscientist so I'm going to leave you with this a lot of you in here have very close mines it seems like an all because you take an evolution or brain-based stuff you automatically think it's impossible for an afterlife one I have been through the resources for evolution I just traveled around the country going to most universities I had a lot of interviews and papers that I worked on I am now a journalist for science so I understand most of what goes on 21st 7 right now no we are really far from understanding Consciousness there is nothing we know right now that can bring is merely close to Consciousness okay we right now have better evidence for Consciousness being fundamental than we do for it being a part of the brain neuroscientist in Academia tell you this so you think that most of them don't even agree with it if you a scientist by themselves what they think of it in private and don't tell anybody else they will tell you that they think Consciousness is fundamental and a part of the brain we don't know how memories are stored we don't know where memories are it's probably like Rupert sheldrake what he says about memories and stuff like that.

and here's some evidence for the afterlife mediums mediums right now you might think cold reading all that blah blah blah but I just went to a medium because that is another hobby of mine is testing mediums out and stuff like that so what I did is did a blind experiment where I called them up on a star 67 phone number and I gave them the time I would be there and we all work this out because I told them why I go there the medium gets me the first name of my dead father and a few other things like he used to keep a little silver bear in his pocket named Clyde and he also gave me the last 4 digits of my phone number that I had when he passed 0 666 so that is not explainable by Cold reading and Julie from the wind Bridge Institute covers this another thing.

physical mediumship that is where people go into a séance room and materializations of so-called Spirits appear things move around Port switches objects coming out of nowhere and other things happen and before you say this is fake they are doing test studies on a few right now bring them in to control the land areas so Soon this is probably going to be the thing that breaks the whole barrier of the scientific paradigm.

another lines of evidence is EVP and the usual skeptical thing is this is just radio signals or wishful thinking when you can talk into a recorder or a computer program and have answers come back to you of when they lived on Earth what their first last names were and all that like the work of dr. Craig Hogan is doing right now it is hard to say that same thing with it see which is in trans mental communication is another huge part it's getting more popular and more buzz and probably going to replace mediumship sin because anybody can do it if you got a mic recorder and an open mind.

Another line of evidence of near-death experiences people say these are hallucinations of dying brings people can have them from meditating a walk in nature being stranded alone or dead and there is so much verifiable things and 98 percent of people see dead relatives 14% see dead relatives that they did not know we're dead and including all the verified events in about the party I think it was verified and another thing is 80% of the researchers that go into and bees come out Believers when they were themselves atheists.

and there's after-death communication which 60% of the country has come across and over 80% of the world has said to have after-death communication which is talking to somebody in a hyper real Vision or seeing them and another thing as operations which is people seeing spirits and are very suggestive of survival.

there's also induced after-death communication with 8 people dead for a while and are still doing helping people do and then there's past life regression and life between life regression like the work of Michael Newton.

another thing is his past lives in children so reincarnation which the work of Jim Tucker is being taken place which is probably one of the most sound things you can imagine okay and those are some of the lines of evidence there's a lot more.

right now most of mainstream science is accepting the reality of ESP and PSI so it is not far till the start accepting stuff like that and before you say this is b******* it's blue blah blah blah I think about it with an open mind there's so much to this happening most of the population is getting affected by it oh yeah and there's also deathbed Visions 2 that are very suggestive of survival and terminal Lucidity so I mean look at all of those guys actually think about it this Evolution it's not that deep to be honest I'm you can go online and look at your silly papers and this and that and Google but I travel and talk to these people all the time same thing with neuroscientist so just think for a sec would you want a paradigm or your children feel like one day they're just going to die and will be nothing or 1 or they feel a part of everything and immortal so they should feel good for everyone elseScience needs to change it is very dogmatic materialism is killing our planet and this is a terrible thing to happen it is a science where all of you are nothing but Kitty bags and meet that mean nothing to anybody you really want our society and everything to think like that I don't know about you but at this point I rather have the damn churches take over because at least they're freaking have a sense of something larger not this oh yeah you die you die there's nothing we got all this evidence when you really don't honestly it's not winning any more that's why materialist hate philosophers be as philosophers look at it as silly nonsense so sorry if my typing is a little messed up it's voice thing okay but there you guys go it's enough objective evidence this is a forum for the evidence of survival so don't you say Evolution Neuroscience can't happen I've been to almost every University talked almost every unit a neuroscientist here's the thing that you're not a tad bit closer to figuring it out

!

Moderator Note

I will try and be clear about this: This thread is about whether there is an afterlife (see post #4 for this clarification)

So stop it with discussions of near-death experiences, consciousness, and especially ESP and related crap. Those are off-topic (i.e. hijacks). I will continue to hide or split those off into the trash. As I will do to responses to this modnote.

If you want to discuss some other topic, OPEN A NEW THREAD.

(Also, allme21555, learn a bit more about punctuation, sentence structure and grammar. Your run-on sentences have completed a marathon.)

• 4 months later...

Presumably their findings were negative, then, as there were no world-changing announcements about the results.

Clever attempt to defuse the claim by poisoning the well. It doesn't change the fact that your post is a mixture of misunderstandings, made up "facts" and mumbo-jumbo. Or, as it is better known: woo.

This is what is technically known as "bollocks".

Black holes? dark energy? where is the proof? I would dare to add about as much proof for these as the afterlife. Don't let us all be blinkered in to believing that science is always right! I would add that science is mostly wrong. If I was getting paid to come up with all these fantastic theories and developed experimental woo woo to fit the desired result I would find something new every day. I am a fan of science but if we think that it is all sewn up think again. There is no scientist that will tell you that they understand consciousness, so how can they say that any form of afterlife does not exist. My personal belief is that we eternally return (this does not require pseudo science ) but the fact that whatever made you and me will eventually come together again given an infinite amount of time if infinity is a fact.