diatomic molecules

Sarahisme

According to what I have been taught... very basic Chemistry... it is two atoms of the same element. The diatomics are [math] F2, I2, O2, N2, H2 [/math] etc. There are seven that I know of... I think Mr. Johnson said there are more, we (our class) is too stupid to learn about them yet.

~TehCubes

(He didn't really say that, he just meant it. Rock on Mr. Johnson. xD)

is a diatomic molecule a molecule containg 2 atoms of the same type or just a molcule which contains 2 atoms that can be of any type (same type or not the same type)

A diatomic molecule contains two atoms,

A Homonuclear diatomic molecule contains two atoms of the same kind (Cl2, F2 O2, ect)

A Heteronuclear diatomic molecule contains two atoms of different kinds (HCL, NO, MgO, ect)

~Scott

To remember the diatomic elements, just remember HONCLBRIF. That's hydrogen (H), Oxygen (O), Nitrogen (N), Chlorine (Cl), Bromine (Br), Iodine (I), and Fluorine (F). All non-noble gases and halogens exist as diatomic molecules in their elemental form.

• 2 months later...

I always use "I Bring Clay For Our New House" to remember the naturally occuring homonuclear diatomic molecules, that takes you up and over forming the 7 shape that K9-47G was mentioning

And generally the term "diatomic molecule" is ambiguous, it could mean either two identical atoms or two different atoms.