Teacher problems

6431hoho

I live in Canada and I am in highschool.

My problem is that my math teacher is biased. I include every single details in a math fair journal yet I get 7/10. My friend was exactly the same and got 9 except it had...

"I learnd that in math proposals, the choice in project is more important than the people who you work with."

This isn't the first time; she does this all the time.

I got frustrated after she simply told me to go back to my sit. And when she wrote, "simplify" on the board, I said, "the word is expand," she kicked me out of the class.

I am having a meeting with all the biased teachers who scratch each others back. This is an impossible meeting for me to accomplish anything due to their stubborness. Any comments or suggestions? How would I take a problem that I have with my highschool teacher to maybe the government or some sort?

Interesting. This problem was discussed during my math class as well, in California. Anyways, there are some teachers who grade you down because of you political views, race, gender, etc.

If you're going to do something, always do it formally or politely. Stay calm, too.

See if other friends or previous students feel that way. If they do, then this problem should go to the principal. If any previous students felt the same way, they can help you out.

Here are the steps I would take. Talk to the teacher 1 on 1 by making an appointment. "Excuse me, may I request an appointment afterschool to discuss my grades." Basically, the teacher can't say, "No, I don't want to talk to you." If he/she does, then tell the principal.

During the appointment, bring up some of your evidence. Request to see a record of your assignments. Stuff like that. If you find that your teacher's grades for you are lower than the actual grades on you assignments (assuming your teacher shows you back your assignments), then show him/her (hopefully you keep a folder of your assignments for a semester).

If your teacher refuses to show you the assignments, ask your parents to request an appointment. Same thing again.

If that fails, request a meeting with the principal along with your parents and the teacher.

If your grades go down because of this, then report it again. It's against the teacher's code.

I live in Canada and I am in highschool.

My problem is that my math teacher is biased. I include every single details in a math fair journal yet I get 7/10. My friend was exactly the same and got 9 except it had...

"I learnd that in math proposals' date=' the choice in project is more important than the people who you work with."

This isn't the first time; she does this all the time.

I got frustrated after she simply told me to go back to my sit. And when she wrote, "simplify" on the board, I said, "the word is expand," she kicked me out of the class.

I am having a meeting with all the biased teachers who scratch each others back. This is an impossible meeting for me to accomplish anything due to their stubborness. Any comments or suggestions? How would I take a problem that I have with my highschool teacher to maybe the government or some sort?[/quote']

Why did you say "the word is expand" when she wrote "simplify". Please explain just that one item.

Bettina

Why did you say "the word is expand" when she wrote "simplify". Please explain just that one item.

Bettina

Yeah, it seems like you were being a bit hostile towards her because she graded you low. Anyways, if you have a problem with her, why not discuss it with a school counsellor? I doubt we could help you much here, apart from signing a petition to sue the teacher :cool:

Divide and conquer, You say you have a meeting with all your teachers, Play them off against each other. I know most of my teachers don't get along and i would find it hard to believe all of your teachers get along. As soon as you have one on your side it will be easyer more will follow. Remember every teacher thinks their subject is the most important use this.

~Scott

There was a big long expression that we had to expand and she put "simplify." So I said, "the word is expand," because I was mad.

Just as Bettina and I thought. Remember, play it calm and cool, that way the teacher is the aggressor and you are not, then we can all sign the petition to sue your teacher :P

I've experienced similar difficulties during my high school years, except with English teachers. I suggest the following course of action:

1. First, ask your friend if you can borrow their journal, so you can make a few copies to use as evidence.
  2. Second, make sure your parent/guardian is informed of the details of your difficulties, show them the photocopies, and let them review your case.
  3. If you can convince them that your claims are valid, then ask your parents/guardians to set up an appointment with your teacher. In my experience, high school teachers won't give the time of day to students, but concerned parents/guardians make them stand up and notice. Bring the photocopies with you.
  4. Finally, this may be hard to do, by try to take an objective look at your situation, and make sure that it is worth fighting for. If this is an isolated incident, it is best not to pursue it any further. However, if this incident is indicative of a pattern of behavior, then by all means, go for it.

Also, remember that as RedAlert and Bettina mentioned, getting angry tends to not further your cause. I know that sometimes the things people do, high school teachers in particular, can make you angry, and you feel a great deal better by just telling them off. However, while it makes you feel better in the short run, worsens your long term prospects of a fair grade. You have to remain calm and collected, for that is the best way to advance your agenda.

Here's a technique that I used which helped me is that every time a teacher said or did something that agitated me: I didn't say anything for a second, and thought about how they would simply repeat that behavior if they knew it 'pushed my buttons'. Denying them that satisfaction allows you to claim the high ground, and never have your claims dismissed because a teacher clams you're being 'irrational'. Remember, logic and cooler heads tend to prevail.

This is another area with which you will have to deal later in life - treat it as a learning experience.

In all probability, at some point you will have a job where your immediate superior dislikes you, and will try to make you look bad so that s/he can blame everything bad that happens on you. If you lose your temper s/he can have you fired for insubordination, so you have to learn to keep cool.

You have to learn to treat it as a game - the nastier she gets, the nicer you become. You absolutely refuse to allow her to goad you into losing your temper.

In the case of your teacher, I would request the appointment. The very first thing I would do is to offer a genuine appology for the sarcasm. Ask her if there are things about your behavior that she finds annoying and tell her you will try to correct them. Then ask her to explain how she graded your paper.

Unfortunately, I think there is something innate about how we feel towards other people. I know I have seen people who I dislike almost on sight. One thing that particularly disturbs me is someone with a whiny, nasal voice. It just grates on my very last nerve.

You have to face the fact that you will not like everybody you run across and they will not like you. It is easy to deal with people with whom you "hit it off" right off the bat. Learning to deal with, and treat fairly, people whom you do not like is a lot more difficult. Learning how to have them treat you fairly is even more difficult. You cannot give them any opportunity to feed their dislike - especially if they are people who have some control over your grades or income.

Maybe this will help - try to be completely honest with yourself. Imagine that you are in a meeting with only you, the principal, and the teacher present. You present your case to the principal about why you have been treated unfairly. Think about what her response to him would be. Would she say that you are sarcastic? Would she say you roll your eyes or have other unpleasant facial expressions. ( My mother used to tell me, "Don't you look at me with that tone of voice." She knew exactly what was going through my mind, I didn't have to open my mouth.) Would she say your papers are sloppy and difficult to grade. Would she say you don't turn in your assignments on time? Would she say you mutter unpleasant things under your breath to other students?

If you can answer "yes" to any of the above, you need to change your behavior before you can expect her to change hers.

I'll be honest, I haven't read all of this thread, but here's a quick view:

Don't call out in class, esp. if the teacher doesn't like you because they will be extra harsh on you. A teacher who hates you will look for any opportunity to be horrible to you, don't give them that chance.

Remember, to you, you are the most important. Don't ruin your education just because of some dumb a$$ teacher.

Write a letter or something to a more senior member of staff, admitedly not much can be done against a grudge held deep down, but keep the above in mind.

*sigh*

Thanks for posting everyone.

I had a meeting (turned out it's only 2 teachers) today but it didn't turn out well as they are not taking me seriously (they go on and on about how I think I'm better than the teacers etc.) They also didn't give me info in school inspectors...

Could you guys help me (**if you already know) get a site for school inspectors (or someone qualified to inspect)?

*sigh*

I had a meeting (turned out it's only 2 teachers) today but it didn't turn out well as they are not taking me seriously (they go on and on about how I think I'm better than the teacers etc.) They also didn't give me info in school inspectors...

Could you guys help me (**if you already know) get a site for school inspectors (or someone qualified to inspect)?

Lets see....You had a meeting with two teachers and during the meeting you wanted to know how to contact teacher inspectors. Hmmmm.....

I have never had a problem with any of my teachers...ever. But one trick that a student used, was to find two teachers that are talking to each other or some other students, go up to them and humble yourself. Look at one of the teachers and say "I'm sorry for being such a jerk". ;) Doing it in front of others gives you more credability.

Then, when you are in a class, keep quiet and listen. If you want to challenge a teacher, ask permission first, then ask it in the form of a question.

If you really are upset by something she said, see her after class.....alone.....NEVER do it in front of the class.....thats a no no.

Hope it helps.

Bettina

*sigh*

I think the word you want is "accredited" or "accreditation". Both schools and teachers must have it.

However - if you have a problem with specific teachers, I think the local school board is their governing body. You can write them a letter and state your complaint. However, I would think very carefully before pursuing that option. It will earn you a reputation among teachers as a trouble-maker, and you will be on their wrong side from the git-go.

I get the same impression - you think you are better than your teachers. Some of my best friends are teachers, and speaking on their behalf, teaching knowledge is a small part of their job description. They have lesson plans to write, and papers to grade, and all kinds of administrative tasks with which they must deal. In order to accomplish what they must, they must be geared towards teaching a class, not individuals. The exception to this is that they must try to reach the slower students and bring them up to par.

They probably know the answers to your questions, but not right off the top of their head. Their mind is programmed to accomplish their job, of getting the whole class to learn the knowledge that is in the curriculum. Helping a slow person come up to snuff is more important than helping you get ahead of everyone else.

You have 2 options here. You can ask that your parents send you to a private school where you will be more challenged. Or - if you can handle it without coming off as "holier than thou" and making them feel inferior, and if you really know the material thoroughly, you can offer to tutor some of the students who are having a difficult time.

This is the voice of experience, you will have a far easier time getting through life by being helpful than you will by being the perpetual burr under the saddle, continually causing irritation.

Well Said!

also I`de like to ask, Hoho; Why don`t you get get your friends paper and your own paper and in a quiet moment perhaps after class, ASK your teacher what the discrepency is? don`t go in demmanding!

you only want to find out the differences politely, there MAY BE a good chance that you`ve not noticed something, and having that pointed out to you will then help in further exam/tests :)

Maybe I do think I'm better than the teaher but it's only my math teacher. I want to show her that I'm capable of getting her into trouble just as if I was an adult. Her ignoring me and presuming that some students' answer are wrong (which turns out right) make by veins boil. And not to mention the limited math fair topic which was worth 15% of the whole course! It would have been resonable if everyone had a grade 5 question for math fair, but they had experiments which allowed them to express full grade 9 mathemtical potential.

No further explanation needed. This is the 2-months-challenge:

The student Peer Tutors at Saltfleet District High School are planning a ski trip (with $5000) and know that 24 students and 3 adults will be going on the trip. How many days can the group stay based on the following costs?

resort charges its guests $25 a day for an adult lift ticket and $15 a day for a student lift ticket.

Accommodation costs are $20 per day, and meals are $14 per person per day.

Everyone going on the trip must rent skis at a flat rate of $21 for each adult and $14 for each student.

Travel expenses are $180 for a bus, plus $94 a day for the driver.

>> I want to show her that I'm capable of getting her into trouble just as if I was an adult.

Adult behaviour usually implies not trying to get other people in trouble. Especially not in front of other people. That´s not really meant as an attack on you - just a statement. In fact, I had similar experiences during my schooltime, except that I never whined about my grades because I never really cared too much about them - and never needed them so far. Today I feel a bit sorry for making other people´s life harder just out of a selfish mood.

Guest donabene

Okay - at the risk of being flamed - here is some teacher (yes i am one) advice. Lets's consider the core problem - that you feel your product assessments are subjective and biased. Instead of asking for a comparison to other products, you might ask for a rubric and anchor products. A rubric outlines all of the requirements for an assignment and anchor products demonstrate what an A, B, C, D, etc 'look' like relative to the rubric.

I'm in the US and I have never worked in a locale where it was legal to share the work of one student with another for comparative purposes - even with permission. This is (mostly) due to privacy laws - and, of course, case decisions that have upheld those laws. Even with the permission of all involved parties, a teacher or school might later be held negligent, so we just do not do it.

Why not seek out and employ adult advocates? Everyone has to ask for help at times.

Guest angel

Hey, I'm at school in England so maybe you have a different system, but over here any work that counts towards a formal qualification eg A levels, is marked by an external exam body, or if its a teacher assessment like Sports Studies practical, is moderated. Surely 1 teacher can't mess up your whole grade?

At the risk of sounding like I'm dumping on the yanks, it's the

American education system so one teacher probably can stuff him up.

Have you asked for the marking or assignment guide?

Every teacher must have one, and in Australian schools, the question

weights are public info, they often print them on the exam paper

or assignment sheets.

Oh believe me if you think your teacher is bad you will look back on this

later and wonder how you ever found it difficult.

Office politics 101:

A co-worker who knew that he could not compete for the available

promotion with his fellow co-worker, walked up to him and told him(quietly) that "I've slept with your whoring slut of a mother", comments about his mother being this workers weak point, the slimy co-worker got his nose broken and his lights punched out. When he came too his first words were,

"I win". And off he went to file a complaint with the company, and an

assault and battery claim with the police.

Two days later, when the HR manager came around to decide on the

promotion, worker one had a broken nose, worker two couldn't attend

because he had a bail hearing, and also had a formal complaint against

him on the company file. Guess who got the promotion?

The, IMHO, flaming psychopath.

Cheers.

P.S. The other guy had friends so the Psychopath didn't last too long,

funny how he kept getting reported for every little infringement,

live by the complaint form, die by the complaint form.