What should I do with my associate's degree?

Tampitump

I'll be graduating next year with my AS in computer science. I consider this an indictment rather than an achievement. I don't really want the degree itself. What should I do with it? Can I throw it away. I'd like to just tell the college I don't want it and not to give it to me. I won't need it will I? Can I just throw it away?

It will be seen as a failure to gain a BSc (or something) rather than you achieving something?

This is tricky... whatever you do next people will ask you what you did at that college. Formally, you can just not tell anyone that you have an AS degree - but still the question of what you did for that year or two will come up.

Think about it and what you will say to your next potential employer etc.

Not only do I not understand these two answers, but neither of them address my question.

What really is the question/problem? I mean, why do you not want it?

You can take the award and simply not tell anyone. You could write to the college/university and formally refuse the award - but what would that achieve?

The question then is what do you tell employers or your next collage/university or whatever what you did for those two years or so. A consolation prize shows that you have done something.

hi,

I have not understood your intention (not your question(s) or expressions) (??) :)

once you are mentioning relevant associate degree , look the steps in science

1) BSc degree is the first step an academy

2) MSc (thesis based ) is the second step

3) PhD degree is the third step and is generally every qualified university require you to study hard up to third one

4) associate degree : this one require upper academic studies in comparison PhD

are you sure you have exact knowledge that may be relevant all theese numbered context.

1)if you implied that it should not define your quality taking any degree even if it was academic, then yes you are right.

2)but if you implied that academic degrees are unimportant/worthless, then you are quite incorrect.

this two things are separate and already any university does not give you any degree as a gift. :) you are studying at first how much required and ensure all requirements ,then you are taking that.

and if the second understanding is suitable to your question , ajb is quite right and also you also should thank to him for his kind explanation & symphatic reply :) :-) :) :-)

Edited by blue89

4) associate degree : this one require upper academic studies in comparison PhD

An associate degree is an undergraduate degree usually given for two years of study.

I am wondering if Tampitump has been given this as his grades are not enough to go on an finish a 3 year BSc. But I don't know that - I think this because of the question itself. Why would anyone enrole on a course that gives them a qualification they do not want?

Edited by ajb

1)An associate degree is an undergraduate degree usually given for two years of study.

2)I am wondering if Tampitump has been given this as his grades are not enough to go on an finish a 3 year BSc. But I don't know that - I think this because of the question itself. Why would anyone enrole on a course that gives them a qualification they do not want?

:) :)

sorry for confusion,

in this case may I ask why we know someone's academic title as "associate professor" (like you are ,aren't you?)

then yes for the second one you are still quite right. my expression's result has not been changed.. :) :)

I already expressed any university (generally) does not give it someone without any study. and I see the system is a bit different at european countries.

probably Tampitum thought that degree had not defined his original/real profile or that degree had not expressed the quality of that programme. (this is only prediction)

in this case may I ask why we know someone's academic title as "associate professor" (like you are ,aren't you?)

Right now I am assistant professor ... I will be a research associate soon. But you are right there can be something known as an associate professor.

None of these are academic qualifications.

1) I will be a research associate soon.

2) None of these are academic qualifications.

1) as expressed ,I will be waiting to congratulate you when you take this rank. I already think you are using generally symphatic style. :)

2) I have nou understood actual meaning you implied, with using this sentence but..

I have to quit now (I have taken an invitation for electric-electronic engineering faculty from ISTANBUL BILGI UNIVERSITY (MSc) ,this would be the following day(tomorrow) and I would/prepare something . thanks for nice conversation.

meanwhile , I hope a meningfull success for tampitump :) :-)

Edited by blue89