I have to do a speech on racism

Macroscopic

I have to do a small speech on racism on Wednesday. The topic is:

"To what extent do you think racism still exists in America today? How has racism changed over the years. Stat examples and possible causes of racism today."

I haven't been able to find any information on the subject. I've tried Google but there wasn't anything useful. I need some information or a link to some soon. Thanks in advance. I'm going to go try a different search engine now...

There was an article in our paper (The Daily Press, Newport News, VA) about a black woman who went to look at a home for sale. The owner said she couldn't buy it because there was a covenant in the deed that prohibited him selling to black people. She reported the incident and the government sent an agent ingognito. When he told that person the same thing, he was told that what he had done violates the fair housing act and he has to go to court to defend himself. The article said that those covenants were common throughout the south but were found to be illegal by the Supreme Court.

I grew up in the Virginia - our schools were segregated until I was in high school. Up until that point, I had lived in a "Wonder Bread World". The only black person I knew was the woman who cleaned house for us. My father did not allow her to use our bathroom. He installed another in the back of the garage just for her. He said it was unsanitary, because black people carried disease. I thought that peculiar, since she washed our clothes and dishes and cooked for us, but that was the way it was.

After the schools were integrated, I became friends with black students, and things changed. However, if my dad had known I'd gone into their house, he would have cleaned my clock. It was much easier for the students to accept them than for our parents. Some of the people I went to school with are still quite predjudiced.

It is different with people of my daughter's age. She never experienced segregation. People of my parents' generation had been taught that segregation was right by their parents. Those notions die hard. People can't just change their belief systems over night, even if they are proven wrong. As older people die off, I believe it will become less and less of a problem.

That doesn't help the young black couple who are trying to buy a home, I know. I'm just calling it the way I see it.

Try racism in the education system and language. There's also racism in politics. Why do politicians make the policies they do? What kind of policies promote racism? When a new group of people come to America, sometimes there's racism against them. Lost jobs, homes, etc. When some people come to America, sometimes they aren't accustomed to the diversity of some areas in America so they're racist.

Who asked you to make this small speech?

It's for my English class; everyone in the class has to do it.

There was an article in our paper (The Daily Press, Newport News, VA) about a black woman who went to look at a home for sale. The owner said she couldn't buy it because there was a covenant in the deed that prohibited him selling to black people. She reported the incident and the government sent an agent ingognito. When he told that person the same thing, he was told that what he had done violates the fair housing act and he has to go to court to defend himself. The article said that those covenants were common throughout the south but were found to be illegal by the Supreme Court.

That will be an important part. Does the newspaper have a website so I could learn more about that?

Does the newspaper have a website so I could learn more about that?
http://www.dailypress.com

Racism has merely switched it's targets. People who have a Middle-eastern appearance have a hard time of it. You should be able to find some interviews on the internet.

You might try looking up the Fundamental Attribution Error at Wikipedia for a possible cause of racism (certainly not the only one). I can see a connection and it's an interesting phenomenon no one else in your class may pick up on.

That will be an important part. Does the newspaper have a website so I could learn more about that?

I looked for the article in the online version' date=' but didn't see if. I'll see if I can find it and send you the author's name.

Racism has merely switched it's targets. People who have a Middle-eastern appearance have a hard time of it. You should be able to find some interviews on the internet.

You might try looking up the Fundamental Attribution Error at Wikipedia for a possible cause of racism (certainly not the only one). I can see a connection and it's an interesting phenomenon no one else in your class may pick up on.

Here's an example of that. My ex-son-in-law's mother is full blooded Japanese and his dad's grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. The results give him a somewhat Middle Eastern appearance. This is enhanced because he wears his hair long and has a full beard and mustache. He always has - long before 9/11. People used to just think he's weird (which he is to some extent - now they sometimes think he is dangerous.)

He is also a runner. He had to deliver some parts for me to Jefferson Lab, and when he came out of the door he ran at full speed back to the truck. It's just his way of keeping fit - he runs everywhere he goes. (And yes - he is a little bizarre - he was a featherweight boxer and he's been hit in the head one too many times.)

Anyway, a couple of scientists coming into the lab observed this behavior and assumed he had planted a bomb. Unbeknownst to him, they followed him and called the cops on their cell phone. His next stop after the lab was Costco - while he was inside, the cops arrived, and thankfully the first thing they did was run a trace on the license plate. They then called the purchasing agent who knows Ozzie, and he confirmed that he is a legitimate delivery person.

It is a good thing the scientists didn't decide to jump him - Ozzie is little, but he would have cleaned their clocks - I promise you.

After this happened, I had to tell Ozzie about it. He just couldn't understand why people would think that of him. He is a sweet, gentle man. Just different looking.

Macroscopic, IMO, the word "racism" has been redefined. If you use the dictionary definition of "racism", your speech will be much different than if you use the loosely defined versions that are floating around.

I'd ask your teacher to define "racism", then go from there.