how to take PATENT (U.S's institutes) ??

blue89

I agree with Strange here... it is not clear what you are really asking and if you indeed have somthing that one can take a patent out on.

We don't want details and don't expect you to give any, but can we assume as Strange says, that you have some project to develop some invention that has potential commercial value? You may not have a final product in your hand, but you have some new technology that you would like a patent on before fully developing the product?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. I am old enough to be your father (or maybe grandfather!) and have almost no formal qualifications beyond a couple of college-level diplomas.

Most projects are. That doesn't seem relevant to patentability. Although it suggests you will need a team with all the right skills to develop the product.

ok. look please;

I am expressing that I am respective or I would be respective & great scientist. this means it will not be important whom I am being speaking&contacting. in my opinion every people are important & estimable as equal as me. and this will not be changed in the future. this is principle.

but I remember; although I am contacting successfully withj some good official associations (like harvard , some journals,and native english friends.) ,you have complaint three times from language. then I asked the first question. , you may see me I am speaking with ajb or other frieng more politely. because I know he has over MSc degree and this generally requires studying hard. But be sure that I am also studying hard , and think please anyone who would be at harvard will not be happy due to taking some expresions over only one times. I think I can understand generally at one time.

this is not problem. I already have been a bit surprising ,and said you may try to be more elegant.but do not miss that according to my principle you will have at least equal regards that I give my own personality. (!!: this is principle every human is estimable , all these , have no importance for me: age & nationality & gender & economic status.)

then , I think it would be logical not writing every properties of literature.

I agree with Strange here... it is not clear what you are really asking and if you indeed have somthing that one can take a patent out on.

We don't want details and don't expect you to give any, but can we assume as Strange says, that you have some project to develop some invention that has potential commercial value? You may not have a final product in your hand, but you have some new technology that you would like a patent on before fully developing the product?

I apologise if I missed something that you imply I did do it incorrectly.

sample project like I implied (in the past):

you know ultrasound device(US).if you think its efficacies in medicine ,then you will not think that it seems commercial.(it is implied before invention)

but if you consider its sale (convenient improvement in electric-electronic engineering), of course you will think it is commercial.

then -->> this sample is the most convenient and may make it more clear simply which kinfd of study I would do.

additional comment:

I do not believe that our (all) degrees would show genuine/intelligence. this may show only the rate of how much (hard) we are studying. and also this is not the certitude. because quality is not same at every universiteis

when/if I hurt someone,really I feel me more negatively affected than her/him. :(

I am leaving now from forum if I did do this. :( (elderly people are more sensitive ) by ,I hope to see tomorrow.

Edited by blue89

If you have some new invention related to ultarsound machines, then you may be able to patent it. There maybe some long process of deciding if you really have something new. It it is not really new, then you may still seek to protect your self with trade marks and similar.

I don't have any experience in this at all. All I do know is that you cannot patent science or mathematics - only inventions.

Edited by ajb

If you have some new invention related to ultarsound machines, then you may be able to patent it.

I don't have any experience in this at all. All I do know is that you cannot patent science or mathematics - only inventions.(?) (!)

hi dear symphatic friend; :)

do you believe that anyone might invent a new sample shape of "ultrasound machine" only by himself/herself own??

I think this will generally be impossible.this is interdisciplinary study and collaboration will be required (collaborate with at least a doctor + engineer/scientist(mathematician+physician+engineer (eee or like ce) or other related ones))

my principle

the literature's own or numeric numbers are not so important exactly in my opinion, I think we need/should to explore something useful/efficacious to people. (universai/not partial) then we can only be respective/genius via using this information!..

then,I think you may miss some details, think please we would like to create a new useful(applicable) theorie ,but we are not engineer ,we are mathematician or physician (scientist) ,how will we be able protect it??

Edited by blue89

do you believe that anyone might invent a new sample shape of "ultrasound machine" by only himself/herself own??

It is unlikely... so you have invented something else - or why would you be asking about patents?

It is unlikely... so you have invented something else - or why would you be asking about patents?

patents ,because ecancermedicalsceince journal's kind editor offered me ..

but she added ; some journals may have some protocols to protect your ideas (copyright

)( everyone is speaking that this would be more about patent..I am young scientist and still do not know every procedures in relation or currency) :(

Edited by blue89

The material publsihed in a journal is usually copyright - and that copyright is owned by the publishers. They usually give you some rights like free off-prints and the right to put a version on the arXiv etc.

However, the science and mathematics itself is not copyright.

If you have some invention, even if it is more in the prototype stage, you may be able to get a patent. But they are expensive - you need to think if you will make any money from this. If you only have some loose ides then you will not be able to get a patent.

Edited by ajb

However, the science and mathematics itself is not copyright.

If you have some invention, even if it is more in the prototype stage, you may be able to get a patent. But they are expensive - you need to think if you will make any money from this. If you only have some loose ides then you will not be able to get a patent.

I think I have already explained everything that this would not be intended being loose idea. to create something useful (to be respectiveI ,this will already be required. this is not discussion. but the quite important thing : I would give emphasis that experiment/observation would be compulsory to be able to speak how it was. (loose , useful , great,..etc).

it seems I should reserach by my own. I will read related instructions on the net. thanks for our scientific conversation up to now.

What we are not clear on is if you have *already* invented something, either as 'blue prints' or a prototype model, or if you just have some ideas about how to invent something?

In particular, you cannot get a patent for your project - you can only get a patent for an invention coming from your project.

patents ,because ecancermedicalsceince journal's kind editor offered me ..

but she added ; some journals may have some protocols to protect your ideas (copyright)

Neither patents or copyright can protect ideas.

Only secrecy can protect an idea.

You can patent a method, though.

Good point. You can also patent designs (e.g. of toys, etc.)

I have no experience of either of these areas.

Right, I know you can patent industrial processes - but I guess not basic science methods.

Indeed. My understanding is that it has to involve transformation of concrete "things" from one form to another. So not general algorithms, for example.

That seems to be correct. You can de facto patent an algorithm in the US system, but you would need to rename it either in form of a software patent or patent it a s an approach to do something specific. E.g. you could patent a machine learning approach that does a specific task, for example. Effectively, they can be fairly abstract. The interesting bit is that while you cannot patent algorithms per se in the US, you can e.g. patent this. If you replace "system" with "algorithm" and still not be far off at all.

"Scientific method" is probably a bit too broad, if it includes things like scientific theories. But there are specific approaches and applied methods that could be patented (which could fall under the above example).

That seems to be correct. You can de facto patent an algorithm in the US system, but you would need to rename it either in form of a software patent or patent it a s an approach to do something specific. E.g. you could patent a machine learning approach that does a specific task, for example. Effectively, they can be fairly abstract. The interesting bit is that while you cannot patent algorithms per se in the US, you can e.g. patent this. If you replace "system" with "algorithm" and still not be far off at all.

"Scientific method" is probably a bit too broad, if it includes things like scientific theories. But there are specific approaches and applied methods that could be patented (which could fall under the above example).

okay. thanks for your post. really I have been almost giving up , but here is another important point : how long does it take to be replied for our file (if we assume that the file was submitted to them)?

I would add something more, (this idea has been mentioned too much and for this reason) : I think this century is highly more modern. this means in my opinion having knowledge would be valuable. but it would be good to say that this knowledge should also be intellectual.I mean we have to find something clearly logical.

to be realistic; I don't think/believe so much to the possibility that something be invented without science, this does not seem logical.(but I see this is being spoken everywhere. and I also had read something from turkish patent institute and in my opinion some of them were comic expression)

Edited by blue89

okay. thanks for your post. really I have been almost giving up , but here is another important point : how long does it take to be replied for our file (if we assume that the file was submitted to them)?

It can take 3 to 6 months to get an initial response (confirmation of filing).

The patent is published after 18 months.

The patent examiner should give their first examination report between 9 and 18 months after filing.

You then respond to this (usually explaining why it they should not have rejected it!)

The whole process can take several years.

Edited by Strange

It can take 3 to 6 months to get an initial response (confirmation of filing).

You then respond to this (usually explaining why it they should not have rejected it! (?) )

The whole process can take several years.

:( :( this is exhaustive/boring section. I also have been surprised if only confirmation itself takes 3 to 6 months. I think this literature is not convenient without me examining. I am original author of its and it will not be so easy examining.

ok. thanks to all replies as I said ,I think I should check other instructions by my own.

this is probably the ending of my questions to this thread.

Edited by blue89

• 4 weeks later...

Yep! I am very glad I no longer have to deal with it.

hi strange ,I have decided that your some explanations that I have read are quite logical

thanks for every posts up to now !

in this case , I would ask you , whats external subjects about patent you know?

and how long did it take to take your first patent ?

I thought English society are more modern ,then I thought of course I must be willing to be us /england /canada or australya. but I see you are writing from china..

what about everything ..?

I am 27 years old ,I think I need no much money ,but at th same time I dont wish to spend energy there anymore in turkey

what do you advise to me?

check also please this recent thread : http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/97251-how-are-these-conditions-for-ieee/ (if you have any official eperience for such events)

and could you explain us in more detailed form relevant this thread (your experience about patent)

thanks

Edited by blue89

in this case , I would ask you , whats external subjects about patent you know?

I know something about patents because I spent many years working with patent agents to help them understand the company's inventions, helping to write responses to the patent office's rejections of patent applications, etc.

and how long did it take to take your first patent ?

I can't remember exactly. Maybe 5 years. Something like that.

I thought English society are more modern ,then I thought of course I must be willing to be us /england /canada or australya. but I see you are writing from china..

No, I am in Europe. (But speak Japanese.)

and could you explain us more detailed relevant this thread (your experience about patent)

Not sure what else to say. Most of my work on patents (and related intellectual property) has been in electronics - computer hardware, etc. I was never the inventor just the go-between or "translator" (between engineers speaking English and patent agents speaking a different sort of English).

how did it take to take your first patent

I can't remember exactly. Maybe 5 years. Something like that.

I was never the inventor ...

apology,don't show us these two last comment any contradiction (??)

I am already not saying that I invented something still now, mines are

1) some newest projects ,yes there is high probability to invent something ,but my project will require many numbers of observation & experiments (and unfortunately its width has high content and context) :(

however ,5 year is a very long time (inconvenient)

2) some popular & intellectual article plans (the subject is ready , but there exist some meaningless matters ,I dont want to express anymore them.

I am sensitive in ethical subjects ..

Edited by blue89

apology,don't show us these two last comment any contradiction (??)

I was dealing with the company's patents, not mine.

I am already not saying that I invented something still now, mines are

Then I am not sure why you are interested in patents.

Then I am not sure why you are interested in patents.

because I would explore something great!..

but as you see ,my researches require observations & experiments ..

maybe ,it would be good to apply universities for this, because it seems as area to do this is more suitable to choose laboratories instead patent institutes.