Free Upgrade to 64-bit WinXP

Pangloss

I know it's mostly Linux users around here (cheers!), but I wanted to pass this along because it's not being widely advertised. Along with the commercial introduction of 64-bit Windows XP today, Microsoft has announced a free upgrade for owners of the 32-bit version.

Note that this only applies to people who bought a computer with a 64-bit chip with the 32-bit version of Windows pre-installed. So it's not really going to affect very many people -- basically Athlon 64 buyers who bought fully pre-built computers, ala Alienware, etc., but it also affects Opteron workstation buyers in companies, etc.

Here's a link to the site where you apply:

https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx

Nice. Not something that affects me personally (Two Gentoo linux based Pcs (Desktop and Small Server) and a Windows XP Pentium based laptop) but it's nice to see Microsoft doing something like this, especially considering the fact that work, time and money has obviously gone into the production of a 64 Bit compatible operating system. I'm sure it will certainly appease alot of people.

I'm not sure on the actual pros and cons of their implementation of things (ie how they handle 32 bit compatibility (ive heard the interface (read UI/HCI), might be somewhat like the interface for compatibility with older windows version), how much it takes advantage of the various new registers etc open to them, how well their compilers allow the use of these new features), if anyone could provide some more information on the topic, it'd be interesting as I did use 64 bit Gentoo for a while but due to problems with certain older programs (DBDesigner mainly, as well as a few problems with things like Free Pascal Compiler etc) and compatibility, as well as being stuck in the past in portage alot of the time due to the fact that it takes longer to port alot of the code to 64 bit, I ended up going back to 32 bit (not that Gentoo doesnt offer a compelling 64 bit system, its just that my needs at the minute don't match up with it).