This man claimed to be 250 years old

seriously disabled

Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

Don't be so close-minded.

I think that it could be true that this man is 250 years old.

The problem is that scientists are very closed-minded people who don't like to admit that their most cherished theories could be wrong.

Scientists don't want to think outside the box because it's not very convenient for them to do so.

There's thinking outside the box and there's being willing to accept things for bad reasons.

Scientists (and most rational, reasonable, intelligent humans in general) tend to require extraordinary evidence prior to accepting extraordinary claims as true.

If I told you I had a living fire breathing purple dragon the size of a 747 in my garage, you'd require sufficient evidence to take me seriously. You likely wouldn't care if I called you close minded, and you'd be right not to.

Just because you want something to be true doesn't mean it is.

Edited by iNow

Scientists don't want to think outside the box because it's not very convenient for them to do so.

Did you think that through?

The people who gave you weird ideas like Schrodinger's cat and quantum mechanics are clearly able to think outside the box, are scientists.

It's the non-scientist (and the cats) who like to hide in the boxes.

Scientists are very good at thinking outside the box and asking "what would happen if...". They are also very good at coming up with answers to those sorts of questions.

So, what would happen if there was someone who was 250 years old?

Well an obvious answer would be that we shooed expect to find people who were 200 and 150- but we don't.

So it's reasonable to say that 250 year old people almost certainly don't exist.

We also know that people tell lies (and also that elderly people sometimes get confused).

So we can look at the most reasonable explanation; not on the basis of a hunch- but on the basis of evidence.

Don't be so close-minded.

I think that it could be true that this man is 250 years old.

What evidence do you have that it is possible for anyone to live to this age?

The problem is that scientists are very closed-minded people who don't like to admit that their most cherished theories could be wrong.

The "problem" is that you seem to be willing to believe implausible things with zero evidence.

The "problem" is that you seem to be willing to believe implausible things with zero evidence.

I'm afraid it's worse than that. He's willing to IMAGINE evidence that scientists "are very close-minded people who don't like to admit that their cherished theories could be wrong" in order to believe a human could implausibly live to 250 years with zero evidence. Cognitive bias 1, Reason 0.

The people who gave you weird ideas like Schrodinger's cat and quantum mechanics are clearly able to think outside the box, are scientists.

I thought Schrodinger's cat was an example of thinking inside the box.

• 5 weeks later...

According to certain longevity myths and in certain religions some people have lived up to 10,000 years of age.

But this pretty much contradicts what is being taught in gerontology (the study of aging), biology, genetics and biochemistry about why we age.

I think his body chemistry must be completely different from regular people who live up to maximum of 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity_myths

Edited by seriously disabled

According to certain longevity myths and in certain religions some people have lived up to 10,000 years of age.

But this pretty much contradicts what is being taught in gerontology (the study of aging), biology, genetics and biochemistry about why we age.

I think his body chemistry must be completely different from regular people who live up to maximum of 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity_myths

Or it's exactly the same as everyone else- and he's lying or mistaken.

So why do you think the incredibly unlikely thing is true, rather than the obvious thing?

What evidence do you have?

Or it's exactly the same as everyone else- and he's lying or mistaken.

So why do you think the incredibly unlikely thing is true, rather than the obvious thing?

What evidence do you have?

No I believe he's NOT lying. Stop being so conceited.

I believe that he could really be 250 years old, regardless what some scientist may say.

No I believe he's NOT lying. Stop being so conceited.

I believe that he could really be 250 years old, regardless what some scientist may say.

No scientist saying he is not 250 years old, everybody is saying this is most unusual and could we have some evidence please?

• 1 month later...

I think that I could live for billions of years unless I get seriously injured in which case I will die bleeding and be in unimaginable pain.

I don't think that I can die peacefully during sleep (like without getting fatally injured) like everyone else and that's because I think that I am very different from anyone else.

If I want to die during sleep peacefully without very terrible pain then it will only be in a billion of years from now and not in the maximal age of 125 like it is for other people.

I think that I am very much an anomaly compared to other people who can die peacefully during sleep at normal ages.

I think that I could live for billions of years unless I get seriously injured in which case I will die bleeding and be in unimaginable pain.

I don't think that I can die peacefully during sleep (like without getting fatally injured) like everyone else and that's because I think that I am very different from anyone else.

If I want to die during sleep peacefully without very terrible pain then it will only be in a billion of years from now and not in the maximal age of 125 like it is for other people.

I think that I am very much an anomaly compared to other people who can die peacefully during sleep at normal ages.

I think you are in for a big surprise.

Yes. That fatal accident will be when your veins explode leaking blood throughout your entire body because your cells stopped multiplying. Or perhaps as you stop breathing because your lungs are no longer strong enough. Or perhaps when you stand in front of a train because you believe you won't die from that because your the worlds first anomaly. Or when your mind explodes when you realize something you never knew before. Or perhaps, when your around the comfortable old age of 120 million years old and your like, screw it. I'm gonna teleport to the nearest supernova, watch it explode, and die happy because the rest of the human race went extinct and your lonely. Good god, this is fun. Lets see, how else might you die...... Wait. Never mind. Your name says it all.

I think you are in for a big surprise.

Really O.O