The stuff we are made of.....

Has anyone here ever truly thought about how we exist, how we are self aware.When i think about this deeply, i realize something thats very strange, atoms.

we are all made up of atoms, tiny ball like atoms.hypothetically speaking, if you were to separate and isolate a single atom, would you have the reason to believe that this atom is conscience and is aware of its self? Probaly not. how ever, if enough of these atoms come together, in just the right way, they create a being that is intelligent and self aware, humans.when i think of it like this, it all seems to insane to be reality. But yet, here we are.

so essentially, we are all just trillions upon trillions of these tiny little things we call a atom, that is what i am, that is what you are, that is what everything else is as well.

i dont understand how this is possible.

i cant be the only here that thinks there has to be more to all then this, am i?

we have to be missing something, or maybe im just the one missing something l m a o.

i cant be the only here that thinks there has to be more to all then this, am i?

we have to be missing something, or maybe im just the one missing something l m a o.

We are very complex systems built from simpler smaller peices, and we exhibit 'emergent phenomena' - that is behaviour that is due to all the interactions of there smaller peices and cannot be seen in any individual small peice.

Amazing is all I can say.

Edited by ajb

Has anyone here ever truly thought about how we exist, how we are self aware.When i think about this deeply, i realize something thats very strange, atoms.

we are all made up of atoms, tiny ball like atoms.hypothetically speaking, if you were to separate and isolate a single atom, would you have the reason to believe that this atom is conscience and is aware of its self? Probaly not. how ever, if enough of these atoms come together, in just the right way, they create a being that is intelligent and self aware, humans.when i think of it like this, it all seems to insane to be reality. But yet, here we are.

so essentially, we are all just trillions upon trillions of these tiny little things we call a atom, that is what i am, that is what you are, that is what everything else is as well.

Have you not considered that your current dissatisfaction of what we are is actually caused by your current lack of knowledge on the subject; the more you know, the more you will see. ;)

We are very complex systems built from simpler smaller peices, and we exhibit 'emergent phenomena' - that is behaviour that is due to all the interactions of there smaller peices and cannot be seen in any individual small peice.

Amazing is all I can say.

yes i understand what you mean and believe you are correct, i understand that awarness emerges from the complex pattern of the atoms. but at the same time, no matter how you look at it,

we are still atoms at our very core.

Have you not considered that your current dissatisfaction of what we are is actually caused by your current lack of knowledge on the subject; the more you know, the more you will see. ;)

lol...really......please go else where with your lack of brain cells o.0

Edited by xxsolarxx

yes i understand what you mean and believe you are correct, i understand that awarness emerges from the complex pattern of the atoms. but at the same time, no matter how you look at it,

we are still atoms at our very core.

lol...really......please go else where with your lack of brain cells o.0

You clearly don't know what you don't know or else you wouldn't be asking the question.

You clearly don't know what you don't know or else you wouldn't be asking the question.

haha, and what question am i asking?

im pretty sure that the meaning behind my post was pointing out how strange our universe is, not asking a direct question in any way, except when i asked if any of you found it as weird as i do...but thats not the main point of my post....at all....the fact that you cant even comprehend my meaning is kinda ironic dont ya think>?

Yes, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the logic of ability. I've spent the past six months researching how reality exists, and finally have a sequence:

Duplication being reason is nothing. To make duplication being reason as present, the duplication of this state has to be no action, because duplication is reason being reflection.

In other words, the true challenge of intelligence is to have a goal and intent but no duplication. My own perspective on reality is that the perfection means the whole history of the Universe needing to experience the reverse of itself (the making of Terminator 2, the history of China, the 1998 NBA Championship final, the premiership of Tony Blair, 12th June 1745 - each needs to happen in reverse).

Edited by marieltrokan

Yeah, it's awesome isn't it?

No one knows the whole story, but we do know enough to suggest this is how things are. As for the rest we have top people working on it. Top people.

God no, you're not the only one. Just about every religion posits there must be something more. Why? Because there simply must be. Not great reasoning, but it convinces many people. Apparently being a part of a universe that has become self-aware such that it can ponder the fact of its own existence is not amazing enough. Maybe a shift of perspective is needed: you are not in the universe - you are it: as much as any one drop is the ocean. What more do you want - to be more important than 'just' a drop?

I say "meh". (Put very simply:) Silicon is basically sand, yet we can arrange it in such a way as to make computers work - e.g. in the CPU (and support chips) running the computers this post is being typed and viewed on.

That abiogenesis and evolution have led to our brains having awareness doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Simple rules and simple components, in sufficient quantity, can add up to extremely complex emergent properties.

Edited by pzkpfw

Yeah, it's awesome isn't it?

No one knows the whole story, but we do know enough to suggest this is how things are. As for the rest we have top people working on it. Top people.

God no, you're not the only one. Just about every religion posits there must be something more. Why? Because there simply must be. Not great reasoning, but it convinces many people. Apparently being a part of a universe that has become self-aware such that it can ponder the fact of its own existence is not amazing enough. Maybe a shift of perspective is needed: you are not in the universe - you are it: as much as any one drop is the ocean. What more do you want - to be more important than 'just' a drop?

yes! everything is connected! i think every thing that exist is here because we made it here, i think this because i have died once and was brought back, while i was dead, my awarness was shifted away from the physical, its like i suddenly rememberd everything, and i just knew, i could merge back into my original self, somehow i just knew that everything that has ever exist simply comes from consciencness, there was this sense that im part of everything and that everything was just a part of me. my experience from death has changed my perspective on a lot of things, i now practice astral projection and meditation daily.i even manage to astral project a few times a week now, each time i do, i learn more, my journeys become more vivid and i begin to remember more of my journey each time.truly amazing.

I say "meh"...

Damn you're hard to to impress.

yes! everything is connected! i think every thing that exist is here because we made it here, i think this because i have died once and was brought back, while i was dead, my awarness was shifted away from the physical, its like i suddenly rememberd everything, and i just knew, i could merge back into my original self, somehow i just knew that everything that has ever exist simply comes from consciencness, there was this sense that im part of everything and that everything was just a part of me. my experience from death has changed my perspective on a lot of things, i now practice astral projection and meditation daily.i even manage to astral project a few times a week now, each time i do, i learn more, my journeys become more vivid and i begin to remember more of my journey each time.truly amazing.

Is that what i said?

i now practice astral projection and meditation daily.i even manage to astral project a few times a week now, each time i do, i learn more, my journeys become more vivid and i begin to remember more of my journey each time.truly amazing.

Why not get someone to put a piece of paper, with a random words on it, in a location you could only see through astral projection. Then see if you can correctly "guess" the words.

This will help you to distinguish between reality and your imagination. (Something you seem to struggle with.)

Without a consciousness that is aware of the universe,there would be no point the universe being there.

Could it exist without consciousness?

The universe seems to have existed for several billion years without anything being aware of it.

I assume it is quite happy to exist without external validation.

The universe seems to have existed for several billion years without anything being aware of it.

I assume it is quite happy to exist without external validation.

I don't know if consciousness is an external phenomenon.

Should it not be included as part and parcel of the universe and therefore part and parcel of laws of physics?

sorry think I accidentally pressed the reputation button instead of the quote button.

I don't know if consciousness is an external phenomenon.

Should it not be included as part and parcel of the universe and therefore part and parcel of laws of physics?

There is no evidence that it is an external process. And the laws of physics work fine without it.

Physics reduces things by taking them apart to find out how they work,so physics reduces down to the quantum world.

If you make a conscious decision eg:- to get out of bed in the morning or lay in for another five minutes,the quantum world has to go along with your decision.

i thought about this too but it did not seem strange to me, I could not even think of any other way we can be made. if we were not made from smaller parts then there would be no plasticity and growth in tissues and other materials. I do not think a atom has a consiouness even if its part of a person, skin cells die all the time dosent mean we are less counciousness, threr are billoins of atoms falling off of us each day. there are weird things about our bodies that kind of make me feel uncomftrable knowing im this gross especially being a woman and women supposedly supposed to be cleaner tand more polite but atoms are only conscionce when the brain is funtioning properly I think they loose consuinsness when you die and its not exactly the atoms that are conusions its a network of nurons. it can be atoms but it has to be nurons.

• 2 weeks later...

xxsolarxx, that is a very astute question. Atoms interact with other things and yet atoms are not aware of themselves. But we, who are made only of atoms, are somehow able to be aware of ourselves and the universe. So how is that possible?

Even if we take something as sophisticated as say the Google self drive car, although it responds to what is going on around itself, it has no consciousness, no awareness of itself.

A couple of things that seem to be relevant to awareness, is the ability to put together questions, and the ability to distinguish between what is true and what is false. So an interesting thought, if we were to devise a computer that on its own could put together questions, and could distinguish between what is true and what is false, would it eventually become self aware too?

But we have not been designed (evolution is blind), so how have we managed to end up (as other animals have too) of having consciousness?

Suppose we were to consider the possibility that we do not have free will? In which case, can we have consciousness too? (After all individual atoms do not have free will, and we are a collection of atoms.) Would it be possible for us to distinguish between what is true and what is false if we are 'hard wired'? Without free will, what if our 'wiring' has logic errors in it? We would be doomed to be unaware of that logic error.

But evolution produces life that is able to distinguish between what is true and what is false, whether we are 'hard wired' or not. Any life, that by random chance of evolution, ends up with its 'hard wiring' such that it can distinguish between truth and non truth correctly, will tend to survive over life that does not.

I don't know if there's more, but I certainly hope so. I don't like the idea of just being information in my brain.

we are all made up of atoms, tiny ball like atoms.

I think of an atom as being far more complex than simply a microscopic ball.

It has energy, positive and negative charges, and that electron is apparently 'moving' around a nucleus at an incredibly fast rate - so fast that its more like a 'shell'. Atoms can do more than merely 'exist' as a tiny dot.

What actually is an electron? just a charged speck? what actually is a positive or negative charge? a force of some kind?

I'm saying we're not just inanimate atoms, but we're also energy and forces.

its called emergence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Edited by granpa