Are the thoughts of any life form the meaning of life?

marieltrokan

“Consequence” only enters the conversation if one fails to find ones purpose in life, the consequence of that is often depression because it's the first step on life’s yellow brick road to contentment?

Edited by dimreepr

Why does there have to be one meaning of life ?Why can there not be a multitude?

Why can these meanings not evolve with time?

The more the merrier, if by meaning you mean reason.

Edited by dimreepr

dimreepr said "Or did you mean; “Consequence” only enters the conversation if one fails to find ones purpose in life, the consequence of that is often depression because the first step on life’s yellow brick road to contentment is a reason to live?"

Not what I meant but ,I agree we need a purpose in life -in the same way that a cyclist will fall on the pavement if he doesn't keep peddling.

If we feel our lives have no purpose then the consequences can be similar putting a wild animal in captivity.

A "purpose in life" could almost be considered a human right if such an entitlement was practical.

Edited by geordief

dimreepr said "Or did you mean; “Consequence” only enters the conversation if one fails to find ones purpose in life, the consequence of that is often depression because the first step on life’s yellow brick road to contentment is a reason to live?"

Not what I meant but ,I agree we need a purpose in life -in the same way that a cyclist will fall on the pavement if he doesn't keep peddling.

If we feel our lives have no purpose then the consequences can be similar putting a wild animal in captivity.

A "purpose in life" could almost be considered a human right if such an entitlement was practical.

You can’t be given a purpose you have to find it yourself, because if it’s not your choice it becomes a burden and you’ll never even see life’s yellow brick road.

I still don't know how to quote myself. Do you think that any thought is universal?

Wanting to live is an almost universal thought.

What about wanting to be known as the Universe - would this thought pertain to the current contestants of Channel 5's Big Brother, or anyone who lived in Seattle in 1986?

We're talking about causation now?

You can’t be given a purpose you have to find it yourself, because if it’s not your choice it becomes a burden and you’ll never even see life’s yellow brick road.

So if you do not have a purpose in life do you think that it is impossible for someone to help you (re) achieve this?

Because if this is possible then it is also possible for this to be done in an institutionalized way.

For example ,if drug taking has this effect on some people then they can presumably be helped to regain a purpose in life

We're talking about causation now?

Your purpose is now as an interpreter of obscure posts? :P

Edited by geordief

What about wanting to be known as the Universe - would this thought pertain to the current contestants of Channel 5's Big Brother, or anyone who lived in Seattle in 1986?

Have any of those people said they want to be known as "The Universe"?

So if you do not have a purpose in life do you think that it is impossible for someone to help you (re) achieve this?

Because if this is possible then it is also possible for this to be done in an institutionalized way.

For example ,if drug taking has this effect on some people then they can presumably be helped to regain a purpose in life

You can be taught how to be content to wait for it and where to look but only you can find it.

Edited by dimreepr

Does it matter?

Well,I think it does. If you are looking for something that finds you then you will never find it (except by accident) and in fact you could be driving it away?

And ,if you are waiting for something to fall into the palm of your hands that actually needs to be reeled in then again it will be no cigar.

I hope you will tell me if that is just verbiage :)

Could it be possible to "get it on the National Health" then?

If you can make enough people understand it's value, yes.

However to many people think money is a reason rather than money has a reason; teaching people to understand the difference is step one.

If you can make enough people understand it's value, yes.

However to many people think money is a reason rather than money has a reason; teaching people to understand the difference is step one.

Money can also be a plaything and people who gamble money can come a bad cropper :mad:

Well,I think it does. If you are looking for something that finds you then you will never find it (except by accident) and in fact you could be driving it away?

And ,if you are waiting for something to fall into the palm of your hands that actually needs to be reeled in then again it will be no cigar.

I hope you will tell me if that is just verbiage :)

If finding it is the goal, why turn your back on a happy accident?

Money can also be a plaything and people who gamble money can come a bad cropper :mad:

I'm a lucky gambler, I always loose. ;)

If finding it is the goal, why turn your back on a happy accident?

You may not recognize it if you are looking for something "else". There is the saying(I think) "Life is what happens to you when you are not looking"

You're looking for a purpose in life what "else"?

The "else" is the same thing but achieved in different ways. If it comes of its own accord then that is "else " as compared with what you hope to get by your own work .

And vice versa.

Perhaps the aim can be achieved by own path alone , perhaps by both (I don't know) but the path that is not taken has a "destination " that is "else" (=other) as compared to that of the other path.

It would be easier to make up our minds as to which method is more likely to work (and forget the other one perhaps)

Speaking for myself ,I have always had a strong purpose and so lack the insight as to how it might be necessary to find one (except in a theoretical way as I know people who have told me this)

On the other hand I think it is fairly common when someone learns they have a terminal illness to be overcome by a sense of meaningless and so that might happen to me then if I do not get lucky with a quick demise (where is the icon for "chin up"?)

Edited by geordief

The "else" is the same thing but achieved in different ways. If it comes of its own accord then that is "else " as compared with what you hope to get by your own work .

And vice versa.

Perhaps the aim can be achieved by own path alone , perhaps by both (I don't know) but the path that is not taken has a "destination " that is "else" (=other) as compared to that of the other path.

It would be easier to make up our minds as to which method is more likely to work (and forget the other one perhaps)

Speaking for myself ,I have always had a strong purpose and so lack the insight as to how it might be necessary to find one (except in a theoretical way as I know people who have told me this)

On the other hand I think it is fairly common when someone learns they have a terminal illness to be overcome by a sense of meaningless and so that might happen to me then if I do not get lucky with a quick demise (where is the icon for "chin up"?)

But WHY does it matter how it’s achieved if you achieve it?

Remember purpose is singular, if you want more then keep looking or add an s.

But WHY does it matter how it’s achieved if you achieve it?

Remember purpose is singular, if you want more then keep looking or add an s.

If you are looking purposely for something you will have an idea what it looks like and ,at some point you may say to yourself that you have found it.

But you may be mistaken and have found something else.

If something comes to you of its own accord there will be no mistake ,no need to compare anything with any prior expectation.

It will just be a matter of appraising what you seem to have got and maybe giving it a name.