Does art get recreated by reality?

marieltrokan

The fiery pattern might be found at a student art exhibit and call it art, regardless of whether he used a computer to create it (which is not an unusual practice these days).

I will take that as a compliment :)

Here, we have the use of a lot empty space that is seemingly boring and has little to offer, but it results in the emphasis of the sign and the geometrically similar view of a private moment. Is it art only because the artists has consciously utilized and combined these elements? Would it still be if that was just a randomly well-framed snapshot?

Often art has to be filled by the viewer and sometimes the artist guides them to it.

As I've said before, part of the job of the artist-photographer is to strip away the extraneous elements of what lies before him to evoke the meaning he wishes to impart to the viewer; these are are good examples of judicious selection of visual elements.towards that end. I think these are very good pieces because they don't require verbal explanation what they are about. The elemental minimalism easily guides the viewer to their artistic intent.

Yes, I would call it 'art' because the output was deliberately executed to invoke certain feelings/thoughts in their audience.

Here, one could casually interpret is a lady waiting for someone, although the framing is curious (and has a bit of an optical illusion quality to it). However, the artist (Fang Ho) named it "Approaching Shadow". With the information the geometry assumes a direction and, together with the pose it gets a potentially darker meaning. Does it change the impact on the viewer?

Great picture that contains everything that I would ascribe to a good artist.

Edited by StringJunky

even after finishing art college I still dont know the meaning of art, there they taught us the meaning is what you want it to be. But it has to do with an emotion you feel or messege you get from it. that kind of limits what I want it to be, I cant then use it to make coffee or as a plate. the meaning of art for me is the same as it was in the past, just decorative, if i like looking at it then its art. im not looking for a messege or a story behind it. even illustrations can be art if they are aesthetically interesting and or pleasing to me. i do not like that anyhting now can be considered art. i used my college experience as a chance to develop fine mottor skills and be able to draw a likeness from and subject. im planning to go into illustration as a career. i wanted skills rather then a diploma and my college gave me a diploma with little skill.

I would suggest that the word "art" refers to ones intent, rather than to the object itself. Though whether one has succeeded to accomplish what one intended, e.g. write a poem that has artistic merit, is perhaps a subjective matter, and which critics/judges one relies upon for making such a call, is also a subjective matter.

As to whether reality can be artistic, something that comes into existence without the intention of being artistic, e.g., the Grand Canyon, a beautiful photograph taken by a two year old accidentally while playing with a camera, the opening or the Declaration of Independence, or a note left on a fridge, gets to the heart of the question.

My case in point is the following lines that I have found, to my surprise and a little dismay, in many a general book of collected poems:

I have eatenthe plumsthat were inthe iceboxand whichyou were probablysavingfor breakfastForgive methey were deliciousso sweetand so cold

by William Carlos Williams

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/just-say

Perhaps others won't agree, but though a little clever and a little original, one might easily have found these words on the fridge in just about any kitchen in the world.

So is it art? Is it reality? Is it reality not realizing that it is art? Is it an artistic psychological analysis of real people in real situations? Or is the line between art and non art so blurry that it is pointless to use the word? So let's take the two-year-old again, but this time let's say that he took a rather average photo of his goldfish with his digital camera, and then rushes to me to say, "Here is some art for your birthday"....who am I to disagree.

Edited by disarray