Does reading aloud when studying help out a lot?

Mr Rayon

What are the latest scientific evidence suggesting?

Is it better to read quietly in your head or read everything out loud?

If the latter, does this help increase retention a lot or only a little bit and by how much?

Study suggest turning off mobile phone etc. devices to not be distracted every couple second when new SMS arrives..

The typical teenager, or under 30, would likely say "Over my dead body will I turn it off". Life stops when their phone is off! They don't see it as a distraction, they call it 'multi-tasking'; sounds better. :)

Simultaneous multi-sensory input engages more of your brain so should encourage retention, I would have thought; you are creating visual memories and auditory memories of the exercise. Reading aloud also slows you down which should aid comprehension and retention as well.

Edited by StringJunky

What are the latest scientific evidence suggesting?

Is it better to read quietly in your head or read everything out loud?

If the latter, does this help increase retention a lot or only a little bit and by how much?

I am not aware of any research (not my area and can't be bothered to Google it) but I wouldn't be surprised if it helped. Reading out loud forces you to read what is there, rather than skimming over the text and seeing what you think is there (or just missing chunks).

It is recommended practice for writers to read their writing out loud when reviewing it for exactly that reason. (I have often spotted several errors in something that I though was "finished".)

Also, as StringJunky says, anything that gets you to approach the subject in a different way, using different senses/parts of the brain should help.

Edited by Strange