Vedic Maths

RICHARDBATTY

I know we have already had a thread here on short cuts but, I found them so usefull and interesting I believed we should compile a method only thread. This thread is only to be used as an area to post vedic style short cuts and not for discussion of them. I would like this to be a resource for all to study and benefit from but that won't work if we fill it with chat. I would ask that any none method posts be removed. Please check before posting that the method is not already covered. Thanks for your help peeps. :)

eg 1000-236. Take units from ten and the rest each from nine. Remove the one.

eg

9 9 10

2 3 6-

7 6 4=

If there are too many 0's add a 0 to the smaller number at the front to make it easier. eg 1000-36 becomes 1000-036

eg

9 9 10

0 3 6-

9 6 4=

This works on any size number as long as is only 1 with 0's :D

I was looking at the Vedic Maths tutorials last night, and the one i particulary liked was for doing two, (or even three digit), multiplication very quickly:

The sutra used here is Vertically and Crosswise:

To multiply two numbers think of them as set out as below, 21 x 26 =

2       1
 |   x   |
 2       6
 ---------
 4 (14)  6
 ---------

Multiply your first column together to get the first part of the answer, i.e 2 x 2 = 4.

Then, multiply crosswise, i.e 2 x 6 and 1 x 2, and add these numbers together to get the middle term, i.e 12 + 2 = 14.

Then multiply the last column together to get the last part of the answer, i.e 1 x 6 = 6.

When you have a number of more than one digit, you carry over as you would in "normal" maths, so here, the 1 from the 14 is added to the 4 at the beginning to give 5

And so the answer in this case is 546.

• 1 month later...