Genetic Engineering

Rahid Rahi

The thing with the bananas is that there are lots of varieties. Say around 500. One of them could be more resistant to whatever disease is causing havoc. The difficulty is finding it and getting it where it is needed, and having farmers be able to grow the different varieties on their land. And for consumers to accept the new varieties.

Not entirely true, in recent times, we are seeing the effects of selective breeding, and some are very unhappy (environmentalists, notable).

Well, when I say "complaining" I'm not actually including "whining about things one arbitrarily chooses not to like because one is a bored hippy who needs something to do" in there.

Because of selective breeding, or so I've heard, we will loose all our natural banana crops. Sucks if your a banana republic.

Yes, that comes up all the time. It usually gets successfully refuted by proper scientists.

Yes' date=' that comes up all the time. It usually gets successfully refuted by proper scientists.[/quote']

Hey, scientists have been wrong before...what's the major argument?

Guest Dragonfalls

Would it possible to genetically engineer a living being (Eg a human) to have a brain that would automatically connect up to our brain? (When placed inside our head/touching our brain) or would that not be possible?

(Im writing a novel, thanks for your input)

• 3 weeks later...

... It would be insanely difficult I'd imagine. Since I imagine connecting two brains together will require genetically identical neurons to synapse with each other (or does anyone have any articles that have recorded genetically different neurons with working synapses?). And such a procedure is nowhere near feasible even if neuronic compatibility was accomplished.