Mr Rayon

Do you want to be immortal?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to be immortal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know yet.

Have you been to outer space?

Do you want to meet your children's children and share your wisdom/knowledge?

That's what I mean:once you've done that everything just repeats with each generation. Same old story, different actors.

That's what I mean:once you've done that everything just repeats with each generation. Same old story, different actors.

Human civilisational progress? They say progress will occur more quickly in this century than in all other centuries.

Also, I doubt you have been to outer space.

Human civilisational progress? They say progress will occur more quickly in this century than in all other centuries.

That'll be like just sitting and watching the hour hand on a clock move.What about real everyday life; the same.

You seem to quote going to outer space quite often. Why would anyone even have to go to outer space in his (eternal) life, seems most seemingly boring to me. Okay one could travel on forever to see if any lif exists where ever, but I'd think one would just commit suicide because out of boredom in his journey. So, you prefer just sitting and watching the hour on a hand clock move over death? When you've got nothing left to do? Where death is the only thing unknown to you? Great. Boring as hell. Eventually, one can only yearn for death.

We've all got, to a more or less degree, a sense for exploration, like you also displayed, almost pleading that going to outer space is man's ultimate discovery/destination. Yet, you are wrong. Life's a much unexplored event where - inevitably - death is the ultimate discovery. If you ask me, it's over after death. Nothing left. Doesn't mean I'm not curious about finding out what that's like - even though I won't experience it consciously.

Edited by Function

That assumes that it is possible to remember everything that you experience? I would say I forget far more than I remember.

No; immortality seems a shortsighted, immensely selfish indulgence. We know Earth is a finite sphere with limited resource. I imagine the demands a growing immortal populace would place on those resources. Even when we consider access to endless exoplanetary supplies, I think life has less appeal without the possibility of death. Immortality is existence potentially with and without endless consequence. So why bother? It's the possibility of death, I think, that gives life value.

Suppose I go to sleep one night and die; how does that differ from immortality?

a lot of people would say you are unlikely to wake up from your "sleep" after dying with the former situation but would be "awake" forever when immortal.

if you were immortal maybe you will find out the cure for cancer or finally find out whether there are aliens and how they are like?

maybe we can do a better job of breeding our human population to the extent of being able to colonize far off planets!

this will ensure survival of our species until the end of the universe!!

if you were immortal maybe you will find out the cure for cancer or finally find out whether there are aliens and how they are like?

As is being done right now? I mean, scientists' work doesn't stop after they happen to pass away, it's being continued by next generations. Eventually, one may 'find' a cure, but he couldn't have done it without the previous research of all previous generations of scientists. I simply cannot get the point of one man discovering a cure against cancer, as selfish and self-centered would be directing all the credits to 1 person.

And aliens? Yeah. Have fun in outer space. For years. Filled with boredom. And silence.

Edited by Function

i.e. not to the person it matters to.

I'm afraid I can't get my head around the logic that equates being dead with being alive.

But ‘I am immortal’ from a solipsist POV; I haven’t died yet despite numerous attempts, thrice by accident, where I could’ve died and once by design where I should’ve died but instead woke up in hospital.

The only evidence I can fully trust supports my statement, so if I die in my sleep I’d never be proven wrong and since my consciousness is me, I would in effect be immortal right up to the point that I’m not.

this will ensure survival of our species until the end of the universe!!

Why do you care?

You wouldn't be immortal though ... not really. Many animals don't die normally however they can always be killed. Something will kill you eventually.

Why not, my atoms are?

Edited by dimreepr

They are not alive. This is getting more bizarre.

OK forget that; address this...

"But ‘I am immortal’ from a solipsistic POV; I haven’t died yet despite numerous attempts, thrice by accident, where I could’ve died and once by design where I should’ve died but instead woke up in hospital.

The only evidence I can fully trust supports my statement, so if I die in my sleep I’d never be proven wrong and since my consciousness is me, I would in effect be immortal right up to the point that I’m not. "