Career switch help

Spartan490

Hey all,

First off, I apologize if this isn't the correct spot to ask about career advice.

I'm looking to transition mid career into the cybersecurity/network security field of computer science. I have a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field, no IT experience or education, and have been employed in the public service sector for a number of years. Always had an interest in IT, however my first career choice had me go in another direction.

So I was wondering what would be the best path to take in starting this transition. What have some of you done? My thought to get started is to get a computer science certificate from a community college or state university in order to get intro courses and required math courses done. Then, attempt to get a master's degree. I was also wondering if having a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field and a computer science cert. would help me in getting employed (experience) before I go for a master's degree?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

I don't know if a degree in an unrelated field would help any. Past work history perhaps. Depends on how you sell it.

Obtaining professional certifications(Cisco, Microsoft, Linux) would probably be more useful. Many schools will offer them at discounted prices for students.

There are lots of good distance learning courses these days. Even some acceptable online courses as an introduction (at least to get some evidence for what you know).

Getting a job is all about evidence. It's trying to find the most efficient way of getting that.

Also remember you're unlikely to start at anything other than entry level.