Do you know anyone with crazy beliefs?

Lyudmilascience

My mom has some crazy beliefs. I just don't understand how a person well educated in science and engineering would believe these things. my dad is also an engineer and he has very scientific beliefs, grounded in reality. my mom thinks that cheating is ok people are not supposed to be monogamous, she beliefs in magic and is friends with people who she calls wizards. She thinks they are real magicians. I'm serious.she believe in karma, which not that bad, I do not believe in karma but its better then magicians. There are some things she does that worry me about her beliefs, like she dose not go to doctors because she thinks they are all bad, she had a tooth fall out because she didn't go to the dentist and she told me she was healing it with meditation.I don't believe meditation can do anything, I don't believe in karma, and I don't believe in magic. I just don't know how to reason with her when she brings these things up. if you are around these kind of people how do you reason with them? I usually just listen say ok and try to change the subject but I usually can't, she loves talking about it. I'm not trying to vent, I just want them to be in rational when I ask them for life advice.Its like the guy who is always joking even when your trying to be serious with him. my parents have a friend like that and we are not really close friends now but still see him often.

My mom has some crazy beliefs. I just don't understand how a person well educated in science and engineering would believe these things. my dad is also an engineer and he has very scientific beliefs, grounded in reality. my mom thinks that cheating is ok people are not supposed to be monogamous, she beliefs in magic and is friends with people who she calls wizards. She thinks they are real magicians. I'm serious.she believe in karma, which not that bad, I do not believe in karma but its better then magicians. There are some things she does that worry me about her beliefs, like she dose not go to doctors because she thinks they are all bad, she had a tooth fall out because she didn't go to the dentist and she told me she was healing it with meditation.I don't believe meditation can do anything, I don't believe in karma, and I don't believe in magic. I just don't know how to reason with her when she brings these things up. if you are around these kind of people how do you reason with them? I usually just listen say ok and try to change the subject but I usually can't, she loves talking about it. I'm not trying to vent, I just want them to be in rational when I ask them for life advice.Its like the guy who is always joking even when your trying to be serious with him. my parents have a friend like that and we are not really close friends now but still see him often.

As my grandad used to say: An ounce of commonsense is worth a pound of intelligence. There's 16 ounces in a pound.

Do you live with your parents?

My Great uncle Harry used to believe that Jesus Christ was the only man who was exactly 6 feet tall.

There are a number of issues with that belief.

(How did anyone who is over 6" get there without being 6" in passing on the way?)

My father used to laugh about Harry's foolishness.

On the other hand my father gets up early on Sunday to go to church...

I have a Wiccan brother into crystal healing and magik and all that jazz. If you are willing to look past all the fluff you can usually find something you can relate to on some level. For instance a common belief among Wiccans is to regard Earth as a living entity imbued with spirit. We can put aside the spirit part and just discuss the idea of the planet as a living entity and that our actions have consequences to it.

I am a great believer in that we are "co-creators of our universe", It is just the definitions that we use to explain this that the problems arise, Magic/science, Our thoughts are controlled by a few, who shape this world to their liking,

Magic to me, is just an understanding of how this universe works on the quantum levels, And learning to tap into these energies.

To me there is always a balance between good/bad positive /negative energies, the clash of these energies create the world we live in.

I try my best to always send out good thoughts, sometimes not always easy, but then again I rarely see anything as a physical object, to me everything is energy, the physical world is the illusion we have all created, We are not just clumps of walking elements, We are multi-universal entities, living out this shared reality, that we all had a part in creating.

So 5 seconds is as far as got in that video.

The Buddha didn't say: “The mind is everything. What you think, you become,”

Apparently the closest thing to that in Buddhist scripture (Majjhima Nikaya 19) is:“Whatever a monk keeps pursuing with his thinking and pondering, that becomes the inclination of his awareness.”

If you dig hard enough, I suspect you would be hard pressed to find many people you know who don't believe something you think is crazy.

We all assume our own beliefs are reasonable, and therefore assume that if we meet a reasonable-seeming person, that their beliefs must mostly align with our own, at least for important things.

This is almost never the case in reality.

Edited by Delta1212