I need to help my Autistic son

rocksolid

My son is an awful eater. I need to get him to eat something somewhat healthy for school lunch. I want to pack him a grilled cheese sandwich or chicken nuggets in a container without them getting all moist and gross. I was thinking maybe a container that will let me pump the air out of it once it's sealed could work or I was thinking at wrapping some Molecular Sieve to the lid on the inside of the container to absorb the moisture. Do es anybody think this will work and if not does anybody have an idea?

I am sorry for the difficulties you face, I know how overwhelming they are for you and your family. I have Aspergers and I didn't have a clue as to the impact my early behaviour had on my family until I was grown and was raising two Asperger boys of my own. My wife was able to stay at home and take the greatest share of the work of not only raising those two but also two more siblings that for all of our gratitude were free of this condition.

Our oldest son, who is now 29 and thriving, was absolutely and unanimously disliked by every teacher in his grade school and true to his condition, he had not a clue of any of it. He thought every one of them loved him!

On the other hand, my now 27 year old son who was so sweet yet stubborn beyond any known metric developed eating peculiarities when quite young, these are still a difficulty to this day. It has been very hard on my wife to be still caring for him on a daily basis for so long of a time. His condition seems at times to be getting more severe and we are quite certain we will care for him until we're gone. And of course worry what will become of him then. This is a very isolating condition and demands more than many are willing to give as you of course already know.

I wonder if keeping the food as close to the original temperature would work for the grilled cheese sandwich, they have some amazing stay hot food containers now. It seems that the condensation forms during cooling. Wrapping the sandwich in wax paper and then in several paper towels before going into the thermal pouch might control any moisture that would result. Also, maybe try aluminum foil to some capacity in different combination with the other two suggestions. I'm sure we can figure this out.

I know you're exasperated by this and all the other countless details you face but please try experimenting a little and see what you can develop. Come back and give us an update, and we may be able to work around any new problems. The folks here are really not as difficult to deal with as you might at first thought, you and I have just walked a different path than most of them have.

I hope we can stay in touch, feel free to PM me if you have any ideas or thoughts.

Sensei, I don't think it's very fair to comment that her child doesn't like her food rather than having a food phobia. One of my best friends from high school has a child with very similar phobias and I've become fairly informed through her about the generalities of children with autism. It really has nothing to do with just not liking her food, he just simply won't eat anything. He's almost 4, goes to 2 or 3 different types of therapy for his autism (including food therapy, which the OP mentioned), and literally the only solid food he'll eat that doesn't result in a complete meltdown is M&M's. He still lives off his bottle. I've known others who at 8 would only eat fries.

Hypervalent, parents learn their children what is eatable and not eatable, at age child is pretty young, and can't argue about it. Later is harder. They give him/her various meals to take and taste.

Eskimo give their children f.e. seal to taste and eat, learn them it's food source. The most of western people wouldn't, most likely, take it. Asian's people learn their children to eat insects.

With autistic child is not so easy. Parent has issues with communication (depending on level of autism), not to mention persuading child to try different food sources. To try something new.

I am just encouraging OP to try something new.

If they won't try it, they won't know it.

One of my best friends from high school has a child with very similar phobias

I have seen plentiful of children without autism which had f.e. "tomatophobia", and literally hate tomato soup.

One child, which was on the winter holidays, started vomit, when cuisine in hotel's restaurant gave them.. potato cakes (I know, it's silly, but it's the real story from 25-30 years ago).

Now that "child" would be able eat potato cakes, with just scowl (it's not me BTW).

Edited by Sensei

The reason I got upset was because I asked a question about how to keep food from getting soggy in a container and many of the responses were things like " Grill cheese and chicken nugget are not healthy " It pisses me off because this went on for many comments and none of the comments pertained tot he original question. I did invite everybody here but to answer a question, and instead I was getting advice which was not asked for. I suggested using Molecular Sieve to absorb the moisture or maybe pump out the air but nobody address that.

zapatos you need to think before you type. You wrote " If you don't like the advice, better to just say 'thanks anyway' and move on. No need to be rude to those who cannot give you the exact advice you want on the first try " I am not looking for advice. I am looking for an answer to a question so if you don't have the answer that is fine but don't post advice on how to get my kid to eat better when you have no idea what I am dealing with and have never walked in my shoes. Then you wrote " I find it unacceptable to ask a stranger for advice, then criticize them because they do not have the background to give advice that is useful to you. " again I am not asking for advice. Thank you for everybody that has some empathy. Look I just had a simple question and was looking for an answer, the question was not address and that is all I was looking for, and not for nothing but I am a dude, but makes no difference :)

Reading online, near-toasting the bread is recommended.

Desiccants could probably serve. There are reusable commercial options:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrosorbent-OSG-40-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Chloride/dp/B0037Z8K3E/ref=pd_sbs_328_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41q34MiDCML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0FYNFGHXXKRYKNYWSM9C

and cheaper cat litter, typically wrapped up in a coffee filter.

Probably need to experiment a bit and see what works.

The reason I got upset was because I asked a question about how to keep food from getting soggy in a container and many of the responses were things like " Grill cheese and chicken nugget are not healthy " It pisses me off because this went on for many comments and none of the comments pertained tot he original question. I did invite everybody here but to answer a question, and instead I was getting advice which was not asked for. I suggested using Molecular Sieve to absorb the moisture or maybe pump out the air but nobody address that.

Actually you said (emphasis mine):

My son is an awful eater. I need to get him to eat something somewhat healthy for school lunch. I want to pack him a grilled cheese sandwich or chicken nuggets in a container without them getting all moist and gross. I was thinking maybe a container that will let me pump the air out of it once it's sealed could work or I was thinking at wrapping some Molecular Sieve to the lid on the inside of the container to absorb the moisture. Do es anybody think this will work and if not does anybody have an idea?

That is why the comments about "healthy" started; YOUR words.

If you are going to say "I need to get him to eat something somewhat healthy", and then follow that with food that people consider unhealthy..., well ..... people will probably comment on that.

zapatos you need to think before you type. You wrote " If you don't like the advice, better to just say 'thanks anyway' and move on. No need to be rude to those who cannot give you the exact advice you want on the first try " I am not looking for advice. I am looking for an answer to a question so if you don't have the answer that is fine but don't post advice on how to get my kid to eat better when you have no idea what I am dealing with and have never walked in my shoes. Then you wrote " I find it unacceptable to ask a stranger for advice, then criticize them because they do not have the background to give advice that is useful to you. " again I am not asking for advice.

(emphasis mine)

Umm I think you are asking for advice. Maybe not advice on "healthy food".

BUT you did use the words "healthy food".

Thank you for everybody that has some empathy.

I think most people here have empathy. Whether or not you can detect it is another story.

Look I just had a simple question and was looking for an answer, the question was not address and that is all I was looking for, and not for nothing but I am a dude, but makes no difference :)

Actually several people offered advice, like putting a napkin in with the sandwich or toasting the bread slightly.

Look, I don't mean to sound cruel but I think this "argument" that has arisen is because English is not your native tongue.

There are subtleties in the language that you are picking up as hostility.
I am not upset with you, and I don't think any of the posters are upset with you.
I think people have genuinely tried to offer you good advice.
I can only imagine how difficult it must be trying to raise an autistic child.
Take Care

again I am not asking for advice.

Odd...

Then what exactly are you here for?

I suggested using Molecular Sieve to absorb the moisture or maybe pump out the air but nobody address that.

Others have suggested desiccants as well.

You're on an internet forum where people don't know you personally and are trying their best to help you with what little information they're provided, and this information is provided by you. Please keep that in mind, and also that no one here would (I'm fairly certain) insinuate that you are a bad parent. This can only be said so many times in so many ways before it becomes redundant.

Edited by andrewcellini

Ok, English is my native tongue, I live in New York.....no Trump jokes please, lol. I did say this I need to get him to eat something somewhat healthy for school lunch. I want to pack him a grilled cheese sandwich or chicken nuggets and I guess it's my fault. If I wanted advice about getting my son to eat healthy foods I would have written after that sentence something like can somebody please offer some advice as to a healthy type of lunch that I can offer my son. This is a science forum in the engineering sections. Why would I come here looking for advice on what type of healthy foods I can feed my child. Wouldn't a nutrition forum or Autism forum make more sense? Since this is a science forum in the engineering section I was looking for advice on how to keep his food from getting soggy. Not to start another fight but really kids eat grilled cheese and chicken nuggets for lunch all the time. I ate Bologna and cheese, turkey and cheese and PB& J all the time for lunch.

Ok, English is my native tongue, I live in New York.....no Trump jokes please, lol. I did say this I need to get him to eat something somewhat healthy for school lunch. I want to pack him a grilled cheese sandwich or chicken nuggets and I guess it's my fault. If I wanted advice about getting my son to eat healthy foods I would have written after that sentence something like can somebody please offer some advice as to a healthy type of lunch that I can offer my son. This is a science forum in the engineering sections. Why would I come here looking for advice on what type of healthy foods I can feed my child. Wouldn't a nutrition forum or Autism forum make more sense? Since this is a science forum in the engineering section I was looking for advice on how to keep his food from getting soggy. Not to start another fight but really kids eat grilled cheese and chicken nuggets for lunch all the time. I ate Bologna and cheese, turkey and cheese and PB& J all the time for lunch.

You need a dry moisture-absorbing atmosphere in the container because the wetter parts of the food will move to the drier parts until there is equilibrium. Also, don't pre-chill the food because when suddenly exposed to a warmer environment the colder food will attract more mioisture via condensation. Maybe, wrapping everything closely, and individually, with paper towel to absorb the moisture on the outside of the food item, before putting them in the plastic container might help.

Edited by StringJunky

Hypervalent, parents learn their children what is eatable and not eatable, at age child is pretty young, and can't argue about it. Later is harder. They give him/her various meals to take and taste.

Eskimo give their children f.e. seal to taste and eat, learn them it's food source. The most of western people wouldn't, most likely, take it. Asian's people learn their children to eat insects.

With autistic child is not so easy. Parent has issues with communication (depending on level of autism), not to mention persuading child to try different food sources. To try something new.

I am just encouraging OP to try something new.

If they won't try it, they won't know it.

I have seen plentiful of children without autism which had f.e. "tomatophobia", and literally hate tomato soup.

One child, which was on the winter holidays, started vomit, when cuisine in hotel's restaurant gave them.. potato cakes (I know, it's silly, but it's the real story from 25-30 years ago).

Now that "child" would be able eat potato cakes, with just scowl (it's not me BTW).

Are you aware that one of the fundamental aspect of autism is a deep hatred of change?

If so, you must realise that your suggestions "Try something different" are offensive.

If not, why are you commenting repeatedly on something about which you clearly know so little?

On an unrelated note you might want to learn the difference between "teach" and "learn"- the irony of that failure- given your nickname- is particularly ironic.

Edited by John Cuthber

Question: If you pump the air out of the container (assuming perfect sealing) will the vacuum not encourage moisture to move through the food quicker until it's equally moist tbroughout?

That's what I would think, like sucking on an orange.

I think keeping the temperature as high as possible to that of just after cooking would eliminate the condensation problem. These bags come in different sizes so one could be put inside of another to extend the thermal content.

A single bag is rated for three hours, doubling up would be more than enough.

The next issue would be to try different cooking methods and butter/oils/margarine/? to grill the food with. One or another would perform the best at retaining the proper texture over the extended time period. Each would need to be tested by the little guy to his satisfaction.

post-88603-0-73314800-1465011944.jpg

MODEL NO. SIZE W x H x D WEIGHT CAPACITY QTY./ CASE PRICE PER CASE

135+S-19783 15" x 12" x 6" 20 lbs .25 $49

These can also be bought in smaller quantities, I saw some on Amazon for under 8 dollars for a set of three, each a different size.

Nobody is trying to tell you how to parent, they're offering you advice on how to prepare healthier and more appealing food varieties.

!

Moderator Note

The topic under discussion is about wrapping up food. Please stick to that topic, and leave other advice or discussion out of it.

Note that while I quoted one post I have removed the attribution; I am not singling any one person out. The quote is representative of too much of the thread.

I guess in a perfect world a hot or warm grilled cheese would be better, but I can worry about temp after I fix the soggy thing. I ordered these from amazon to play around with.

http://www.amazon.com/KCH-06091-Round-Shaped-Vacuum-Sealing-Food-Storage-Containers/dp/B001A5UAK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465044063&sr=8-1&keywords=Zevro+VS2-R-703+Vac+%27n+Save

Thanks again for everybody's thoughts.

I guess in a perfect world a hot or warm grilled cheese would be better, but I can worry about temp after I fix the soggy thing. I ordered these from amazon to play around with.

Condensation is not the only mechanism that can produce soggy conditions. If you lower the atmospheric pressure of a container your will slowly draw the oils out of the cheese and into the bread. Cheese is mostly oil and water and they will easily transport in a vacuum, your best option is to maintain a steady temperature and adjust ingredients and cooking methods to optimize long term stability over time.

Edited by arc