Need help finding a word.

MoonEagle

The word I am looking for describes something like a void of light or a black hole.

The only word I can come up with is Entropy, which doesn't seem to be it.

Does anyone know of a similar sounding word I might be thinking of?

The only word I can come up with is Entropy, which doesn't seem to be it.

Entropy is not the right word for sure.

Does anyone know of a similar sounding word I might be thinking of?

I do not know if there is a work for 'absence of light'. Maybe it is not a very useful concept in physics.

dark, gloom, obscurity, shade, adumbration, cover, dimness, dusk, punumbra, protection, shelter, umbra, umbrage, obscuration, atramentous, caliginous, crepuscular, aphotic, cimmerian, nebulous, obfuscous, tenebrous, stygian, shady, somber, ...

None of those sound like "entropy" though.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/darkness

Edited by Strange

In the Book of the New Sun, the protagonist Severian possesses a cloak which is the color of fuligin, or blacker than black. The material is so dark you cannot see the folds of the material.

Edited by kisai

Dark

There could be an absence of photons in the visible range, and so 'dark', but there could still be photons in other wavelengths.

Also, dark could simply mean we are not detecting the photons, for example a laser beam is 'dark', unless it is scattering off particles in the air or aimed right at you.

Anyway, some more context is needed in the OP.

In the Book of the New Sun, the protagonist Severian possesses a cloak which is the color of fuligin, or blacker than black. The material is so dark you cannot see the folds of the material.

Now available in a spray can, apparently.

https://www.surreynanosystems.com/media/news/*%20new%20applications%20include%20consumer%20products%20such%20as%20cameras,%20and%20luxury%20goods

Edited by Strange

My other forum is a cycling forum - and it is only a matter of time before some wingnut there finds that paint and does his bike in it; cos nothing says "sensible risk minimization" like painting your bike with a super-light-absorbing black paint.