Reducing PH of overflow tank

Dean137

HI all, long time reader first time poster here

I have a question and looking for some help. Its been along time since I used any chemistry I learned while doing my degree but for the life of me I cant figure out this.

I have a 300L overflow tank with a PH of 13 it needs to be reduced to below 9 before it can be disposed of, I have 1M HCl available how much HCl do I need to add to achieve below PH9.

Thank you for any help

Edited by Dean137

Very roughly, at pH 13 assuming it is all NaOH you must have a solution that's about 0.1 M and to neutralise it you would need about a tenth of it's volume of the HCl (which is roughly ten times more concentrated). That means about 30 litres.

A better approach might sometimes be to ask how much NaOH you added in the first place.

Each gram of NaOH will need 25 ml of 1M HCl to neutralise it.

In any event, beware that the mixture will get a bit warm, and more importantly, that it will probabaly fizz and foam.

(because the NaOH will have picked up CO2 from the air to make Na2CO3 and when you add acid that will decompose and give the CO2 back again.)

Try it with 300 ml and 30 ml of acid + see how far that gets you.

Also, remember that it is nothing like linear.

The pH vs added acid will look something like the Titration curves for strong acid v strong base here

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/phcurves.html

It drops like a rock, just about where you want to control it.