Are complex carbohydrates fattening?

Mr Rayon

I am no expert but I think I heard recently that carbohydrates tend to be stored in the body as fat whilst the fat that you eat is burned straight away and also makes you feel full.

When fat is eaten in conjunction with carbohydrates it seems we cannot stop eating it (our appetite stays strong)

The latest advice seems to be that animal fat has a very clean bill of heath -and eating fat does not make you fat.

To throw the cat in among the pigeons "they " are now saying that being a little obese may be healthy as those people tend to live longer..

Sorry I have no citations. and my understanding is in no way authoritative.

It is about supply and bioavailability. For example, cellulose is what you could call a complex carbohydrate, which actually consists of glucose units. However, while you can easily absorb glucose, you cannot utilize cellulose. There are also other aspects as their influence on the gut biota (and thus, the digestive process) for example.

Obesity paradox is a term for a medical hypothesis which holds that obesity (and high cholesterol, when the more global term reverse epidemiology is used) may,counterintuitively, be protective and associated with greater survival in certain groups of people, such as very elderly individuals or those with certain chronic diseases. It further postulates that normal to low body mass index or normal values of cholesterol may be detrimental and associated with higher mortality in asymptomatic people.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_paradox

Any ideas the logic behind this might be?

Any ideas the logic behind this might be?

I think they are still in the process of explaining why this is but several surveys have apparently shown this to be surprisingly true.

Presumably it may not apply equally across the board to the different classes of people based on age ,medical condition and so on.

I am just an interested spectator and have no original input.