What if a stranger sneezes on you in public?

Mr Rayon

Hi,

If some stranger sneezes you in public (e.g. in a café), what is the appropriate response to this? Assume also that the person was angry at something that happened to him/her earlier that day and wanted to take out their anger out on someone when the opportunity came (but of course they pretend as if it was all unintentional).

If this happened to you how would you react to the person who sneezed on you and what would you say to any bystanders/onlookers?

How would your response differ depending on whether the offender was male or female?

Thanks,

Mr Rayon

If they were male, I'd kill them where they stand. If female, no problem.

What's in the male sneeze that isn't in the female sneeze, and why would it warrant murder? I'm assuming it's something lethally toxic, and that you're going with the self-defense plea.

Also, unless someone gives you obvious clues (which the OP rules out with his description of the event), how would you know (or even suspect) that they're using an actual sneeze maliciously? The scenario sounds highly unlikely. You're frustrated by your boss at work, so you wait till the bus ride home to sneeze on a stranger? It sounds ludicrous to think there wouldn't be any consequences.

If they're pretending that it was an accident, how am I distinguishing this from an actual accident?

Life's too short. One doesn't know the capabilities of the offender; in this instance it's better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

This is a serious question. I am not sure what the appropriate response would be if I were in the situation. I feel as though killing the person or punching the person is not justified for the offence but something lighter should be done but not sure what that could be? Anyone have any ideas?

Either way, better to just take the easier road; think life.

You sound like a push over but something tells me this is how most people would react or make of the situation.

This is a serious question. I am not sure what the appropriate response would be if I were in the situation. I feel as though killing the person or punching the person is not justified for the offence but something lighter should be done but not sure what that could be? Anyone have any ideas?

"Thanks for the shower, I won't be needing one today"

Edited by StringJunky

Its a sneeze, fer cryin' out loud, get over it.

I really don't think you can sneeze at will, so I don't think you can 'maliciously' sneeze on someone.

Maybe your after-shave stinks and caused the sneezing.

You can feel when people are being genuine or fake.

How do you know what I can feel?

Regardless, this is only true sometimes. Some people are very good at being fake, and some people are not good at coming across as genuine. And since this is a complete stranger that I will be judging probably exclusively on their delivery of the word "Sorry" how in the world am I supposed to know that they're "pretending" it was an accident?

You can feel when people are being genuine or fake.

Then get a job as a professional "lie detector" and you will easily be able to hire a whole stack of body-guards to be sneezed on instead of you.

Or were you talking nonsense?

I really don't think you can sneeze at will, so I don't think you can 'maliciously' sneeze on someone.

The OP is implying that there are people he's encountered who he suspects of feeling a real sneeze coming on, and in the brief time as it builds, they make the malicious choice to aim the sneeze at a random stranger (perhaps him?). It's hard to imagine it being a successful pattern of behavior, so it's equally hard to imagine it's intentional or premeditated.

It's not as hard to imagine it's an isolated incident with an unspoken motive.

Hi,

If some stranger sneezes you in public (e.g. in a café), what is the appropriate response to this? Assume also that the person was angry at something that happened to him/her earlier that day and wanted to take out their anger out on someone when the opportunity came (but of course they pretend as if it was all unintentional).

How would you know they were angry at something that happened earlier? They're a stranger.

i would just ignore it walk away, I have a strong immune system. it dosent even matter to me weather they are angry or not thats what I would do in all situations if it only happens a few times, if it keeps going I would tell them to cover themselves and walk away. I think its a little ridiculous to think there should be consequences especially ones like murder

especially this, it kind of scares me if your not joking.

How would you know they were angry at something that happened earlier? They're a stranger.

and i agree with swasont, you woulndt know, people just don't walk around looking angry but i'm assuming your talking about someone melodramatic who is walking around like this for this senerio.

I'm from the South. You hand them your handkerchief, say "Bless You", and go on about your day.

If they do it again, you politely ask them to stop.

If they do it a third time, you have a choice - move so they can't sneeze on you, or break their nose so they stop worrying about the sneezing.