Should embryonic stem cells be allowed to mature longer than 14 days in a laboratory environment?

In the recent news, once again, the choice to conduct embryos for stem cell research has been highly debated due to scientist increasing the push to increase length of time an embryo can be grown for.

This was all initiated due to a study whereby they managed to grow an embryo as long as they could before it became unlawful. Here is a link to the research paper http://www.nature.com/articles/ncb3347.

So, I just wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on this subject, and if they believe embryo should be used for stem cell research and if they do how long should the cells be allowed to research.

I have wrote an article on this subject if you need to do some catching up

http://atrickleofsci...in-1981-of.html

My personal opinion is that for the future fight against disease the cells should be allowed to mature much longer.

Being aware of other stem cell research like induced pluripotent stem cells do have many advantages, however, they do require many proteins like c-myc, which I am aware stem cells can be induce without c-myc, but as an example using these types protein has shown that some stem cells do encounter a cancerous characteristic.

So, I believe there still is a great need for research in regards of embryonic stem cells.

Edited by A trickle of science

For me, the absolute limit of time would be just before the foetus becomes sentient i.e. reactive to its environment at its most basic level.

Pain.

Nociceptive reactions such as withdrawal reflexes can be recorded from the 19th wk (35). By the 20th wk, fetuses were found to increase the levels of cortisol, beta-endorphin, and noradrenaline in umbilical blood when a needle was inserted into the abdomen (38). Facial expressions similar to adults experiencing pain can be seen in preterm infants after 28 wk (18). Painful stimulations by either venipuncture or heel lances of preterm infants of 25-45 wk produced an increase in hemodynamic response in the somatosensory cortex revealed by real-time near infrared spectroscopy (39,40) either bilaterally and/or over the contralateral areas.

http://www.nature.com/pr/journal/v65/n3/full/pr200950a.html

What about after a person stops being sentient, according to your definition ?

If a person goes into a coma, or even has brain activity but only reacts to basic stimuli, should we start cutting them up and harvesting their organs ?

What would be the difference that justifies one but not the other ?

What about after a person stops being sentient, according to your definition ?

If a person goes into a coma, or even has brain activity but only reacts to basic stimuli, should we start cutting them up and harvesting their organs ?

What would be the difference that justifies one but not the other ?

Apples and oranges. One had sentience and it may well return, the foetus is yet to have it. I did say before sentience emerged. I was setting, imo, the absolute maximum limit, that might be ethically tenable, not whether that should be the actual limit; based on what science knows, so far..

Edited by StringJunky

( I understand but I'm trying to stir up discussion )

A person with a coma, severe head injuries, or even someone born with severe mental abnormalities may have the same low level sentience, and may eventually recover/achieve a higher sentience level.

But so will a foetus.

( I understand but I'm trying to stir up discussion )

A person with a coma, severe head injuries, or even someone born with severe mental abnormalities may have the same low level sentience, and may eventually recover/achieve a higher sentience level.

But so will a foetus.

A comatose already has the potential for returning to full sentience; he/she did exist. The essential difference is that,in the UK anyway, a foetus does not have the state of personhood, in the eyes of its laws, until it is 6 months old..

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.