Can someone please explain to me why an infinite regress of causes is impossible?

seriously disabled

Can someone please explain to me why an infinite regress of causes is impossible?

Is it because according to quantum mechanics things at the subatomic world do not have causes?

So is determinism (determinism is the idea that everything must have a cause) actually false according to quantum mechanics?

Edited by seriously disabled

(determinism is the idea that everything must have a cause)

Are you sure you mean that and not something quite different?

Things are, after all, nouns and do not require causes.

I'm not convinced that quantum mechanics requires causes either.

It often offers predictions in the form of probabilities.

But it does not preclude other forms of analysis that offer different ways of presenting results.

Since the Universe seems to be created in the "Big Bang," it seems to be finite, but expanding towards infinity. Thus, an infinite regress of anything is impossible. We don't know the fate of the Universe, it may expand indefinitely towards infinity in both size and time, but no one knows. It is expanding now, and it is becoming less dense and colder. Thus, whatever thing having a cause and effect will loose its energy to entropy and be isolated in space; thus, it will be unable to have an effect on anything. There are other possible scenarios, but none AFAIK allow infinite regression, for example some things fall into black holes that eventually evaporate.

Concur with studiot about quanta.

dear @serious disabled ,I have created so articles (just like in these subjects) . but regrettebly I can not share them now ,as I said such studies like in these subjects are articles ,it means they are completed. because of sharing there ,I would them to be published in some SSCI or SCI indexed (intellectual) journals. [look please to this link I have some strange matters to make them publish :) link :http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/94899-interdisciplinary-research-i-need-ssci-indexed-articles/ ]

now I think I can only say that (in my opinion) we are not able to explain such subjects with only studying at one science department. to see clearly or to be able making obvious explanation we require to look/study pther parts of science.

and especially ethics is not isolated such subjects [it is related]. for example you say

why an infinite regress of causes is impossible?

this , think that someones shout or be nervous to you with no reason ..then think please one of this ones is your mother/father ..

what/how you will feel ?

I think we can define special function between your feelings and this question's subject.

think please ,your feelings go to infinite regress [regress: because you are being nervous or sad [negative]although you are right, if you were happy ,we would say/define progress [positive]]

I say we are able to say these two different statements are quitely similar. or these are not isolated ,related.

as a result ,at first, our beginning subjct generally was been assessed in physics ...1

the second one was generally being assessed in ethics (your feelings ,behaviours ..etc.) ..2

if you are persuaded at least for a bit ,it shows us that 1 and 2 are correlated. :)

Edited by blue89

That's not a definition of determinism that I've ever heard and I'm not sure that it's an especially good one. It's far too ambiguous.

I think a better description may be that in a deterministic system, perfect knowledge of the current state of the system allows for perfect predictions of the state of the system at any future time.