Bible Disproved By One Scripture

elizsia

I am going to be completely dead honest with all of you I do not believe what I believe because I have proof of these things it is because of my nature and personal experience so I will not sit here and pretend like I have absolute proof of things

And that is an absolutely justifiable reason to believe. In fact, I would say it is the only reason to belive. After all, if you had proof, then it wouldn't be belief, it would just be knowing!

Well, I'm not really asking you to prove anything to me, and I'm not going to criticize you for any of your answers, although I may provide alternate perspectives. I'm just curious about what leads you to believe what you do.

I find it to be a fairly good practice to periodically question why I believe the things I do, including some foundational belief, because it helps me define what I believe, smooth out or at least recognize inconsistencies in my own opinions and better understand people with beliefs that differ from my own. I think self-examination of one's own beliefs is important to developing as a person, even if one doesn't ultimately fundamentally change what those beliefs are.

Mostly, I'm just curious about what it is you believe and how much you know about the history of those beliefs, which is something I think anyone should be interested in regardless of what their beliefs are.

I am also curious... (not to go against the moderation in the thread, I am genuine curious why he believes certain things am not trying to catch him out or put him on the spot).. with respect to all of the discrepencies in the bible, I am interested how he deals with them. Does he make the same old excuses for the god of the bible's incompetances that I used to or does he have better arguments than the ones I used to speel off? :) Only read it with your spiritual ears open!... fine - but a literal note would have been a lot easier.

Basically I had enough of explaining god's seemingly crazy and even evil actions of the OT and the mess of contradictions throughout the book... he can speak for himself from now on.

Well, I'm not really asking you to prove anything to me, and I'm not going to criticize you for any of your answers, although I may provide alternate perspectives. I'm just curious about what leads you to believe what you do.

I find it to be a fairly good practice to periodically question why I believe the things I do, including some foundational belief, because it helps me define what I believe, smooth out or at least recognize inconsistencies in my own opinions and better understand people with beliefs that differ from my own. I think self-examination of one's own beliefs is important to developing as a person, even if one doesn't ultimately fundamentally change what those beliefs are.

Mostly, I'm just curious about what it is you believe and how much you know about the history of those beliefs, which is something I think anyone should be interested in regardless of what their beliefs are.

That is exactly why is started this topic to test my beliefs

Edited by Phi for All
removed duplicates

Alright, well, how aware are you of the history of the Bible? As in, who wrote the various parts, how the different books were selected to be a part of the Bible, when "the Bible" as a single unit came into being, who put it together and what the various alternatives and materials that got "left on the cutting room floor", so to speak, were?

You guys are so funny I can't believe you actually think that I care about your evidence in realty stuff I believe in and love God and am 100% sure if my beliefs so that tells me nothing but the fact that you atheists are just as sure as I am so let's leave it that way

Make up your mind.

You guys are so funny I can't believe you actually think that I care about your evidence in realty stuff I believe in and love God and am 100% sure if my beliefs so that tells me nothing but the fact that you atheists are just as sure as I am so let's leave it that way

If you do not care why do you continue to try and prove your assertions are true? I am not sure no god exists I simply do not think there is any evidence a god does exist and the rational response to a lack of evidence is not to believe...

You this site really tries my patience not because I can't handle people disagreeing with me but because it appears I am the only theist here I mean can we just take a hint I am not trying to prove my God exists I joined this site because I am interested in science and I was hoping to gain new ideas not just have my ideas chewed up and thrown away WITHOUT giving me a chance I mean come on

You this site really tries my patience not because I can't handle people disagreeing with me but because it appears I am the only theist here I mean can we just take a hint I am not trying to prove my God exists I joined this site because I am interested in science and I was hoping to gain new ideas not just have my ideas chewed up and thrown away WITHOUT giving me a chance I mean come on

Why do you continue to attempt to defend the indefensible? Why do you think your ideas should be given a free pass? If you are interested in science why do you continue to attempt to justify bronze age mythology as descriptive of reality? Stick to the science and simply ignore the mythology, you have your beliefs, no one is saying you cannot believe what ever you want, but in science belief is meaningless, only what can be shown to have evidence is allowed to be asserted in science...

I haven't been supported in one argument yet

I've backed up creationists in evolution arguments before because the person arguing for evolution, while correct in the abstract, was apparently right by coincidence and had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

Simply sharing an opinion with someone is no gurantee that they're going to leap to your defense, especially if you're not conducting yourself well in the discussion.

You've received a range of responses from hostile to helpful and you've been quite dismissive of all of them in favor of stating that you simply aren't interested in discussing the matter.

I'm not surprised that people aren't jumping to support you if you're not willing to engage even slightly.

Edited by Delta1212

I gave you a plus, do you really expect people to support you when they don't agree with you? Theistically you are in a minority, theists do not have to dismiss reality to be Christian, nor do they have to agree with you. You are taking a fundie stance that even your own religious leaders do not support. Quit whining, if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch..

It's not people who should support your argument, it's evidence. Adding more people to your arguments won't help.

A key principle in science is falsifiability (or, "Is it even possible to show this is false?"). If we did an experiment with fruit flies in wildly different environments for several generations and didn't see any signs of changes in allele frequency, it might show that evolution is false. Evolution is therefore falsifiable (it's not wrong, but there is a demonstrable way to show it could be).

God(s) however, have unobservability. If we can't detect something, we can't measure it, we can't know anything about it, so we can't do science with it. This also means you can't falsify them, you can't show that they don't exist.

And I think that's also why they've lasted so long, because people believe with their emotions, and think with their brains.

First of all what have I said that my religion wouldnt support and second I am not whining am stating facts and really big dogs? Little high on yourself cocky piece of crap

Your assertions so far have been very thin on facts, give me some factual evidence supporting your stance and I'll support you. Just because you are a little boy doesn't mean i have to go easy on you...

Ya but I don't call you a little boy

And honestly I thought everyone here was in their 30 to 40s

The age range is significantly wider than that. You're not the youngest person to post here and Moontanman is not the oldest.

Hey guys especially moontanman I just want to apologize for some very rude and disrespectful comments I have made lately I guess I just have been very frustrated because I can't stack to anybody here on top of recent family troubles but none of those things are an excuse to be an absolute jerk