Partial Fraction

Chikis

I need help with this:

I need some explanation when it comes to dealing with partial fractions. [math]\frac{7x+19}{(x+1)(x+5)}[/math] into simpler fractions.[math]\frac{7x+19}{(x+1)(x+5)}=\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B}{(x+5)}[/math]

Why did[math]\frac{7x+19}{(x+1)(x+5)}[/math] become equal to [math]\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B}{(x+5)}[/math]?

Edited by Chikis

It's not so much that it has become equal but rather that you are supposing it is equal. Having supposed they are equal the task is then to find some A and B which satisfy the equality. It's not necessarily the case that there are solutions for A and B that make the equations equal, in which case the supposition would be mistaken.

Edited by Prometheus

Well when you are adding two fractions with different denominators you multiply each fraction top and bottom by the denominator of the other fraction so

[latex]\frac{a}{b}+\frac{b}{c} = \frac{ac}{bc}+\frac{bb}{bc} = \frac{ac+bc}{bc}[/latex]

If you are trying to work the equation back to A+B it isn't really possible. For instance there is two possible values for 7x being

[latex]\frac{7-\frac{7}{x+5}}{x+1} [/latex] and [latex]\frac{7-\frac{7}{x+1}}{x+1}[/latex]

Edited by fiveworlds

Ok, solving

[math]\frac{7x+19}{(x+1)(x+5)}=\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B}{(x+5)}[/math]

[math]\rightarrow[/math]

[math]\frac{A(x+5)+B(x+1)}{(x+1)(x+5)}=\frac{7x+19}{1}[/math]

How does this give rise to[math]7x+19=A(x+5)+B(x+1)[/math]

Edited by Chikis

x+1 and x+ 5 are common denominators of the fraction. That allows you to easily manipulate the equation

You want to rewrite the right-hand side as [math]A(x+5)/(x+1)(x+5) + B(x+1)/(x+1)(x+5)[/math]

All you have done is multiply each term by 1

Now the denominator for the whole thing is the same, so it cancels and you are left with the equation in question

[math]\frac{A(x+5)+B(x+1)}{(x+1)(x+5)}=\frac{7x+19}{(x+5)(x+1)}[/math]

Ok! Multiplying the left and right hand side by the denominator, we have

[math]A(x+5)+B(x+1)=7x+19[/math] What happens next?

Well, A and B are constants, but x is a variable - so we can vary it as we like. Can you think of any particular value(s) of x that might be of help in solving this equation?

No, you solve for A and B, so that the original equation is true for any x (except where it diverges). You have 2 equations and 2 unknowns.

Well, A and B are constants, but x is a variable - so we can vary it as we like. Can you think of any particular value(s) of x that might be of help in solving this equation?

Based on the examples I have seen so far, to find A we take that [math]x=-1[/math]

So [math]7x-1+19=A(-1+5)+B(-1+1)[/math]

[math]\rightarrow[/math] [math]12=4A+0[/math]

[math]\rightarrow[/math][math]A=3[/math]

To find B, we take that [math]x=-5[/math]

So [math]7x-5+19=A(-5+5)+B(-5+1)[/math]

[math]\rightarrow[/math] [math]-35+19=0-4B[/math]

[math]\rightarrow[/math] [math]-16=-4B[/math]

[math]\rightarrow[/math] [math]B=+4[/math]

Thus,

[math]\frac{7x+19}{(x+1)(x+5)}=\frac{3}{(x+1}+\frac{4}{(x+5)}[/math]

Is my work correct?

Edited by Chikis

Based on the examples I have seen so far, ....

[math]\frac{7x+19}{(x+1)(x+5)}=\frac{3}{(x+1}+\frac{4}{(x+5)}[/math]

Is my work correct?

Always but always multiply back out to check whether it is correct

[math]\frac{3}{x+1}+\frac{4}{x+5}[/math]

[math]=\frac{3(x+5)+4(x+1)}{(x+1)(x+5)}[/math]

[math]=\frac{3x+15+4x+4}{(x+1)(x+5)}[/math]

[math]=\frac{7x+19}{(x+1)(x+5)}[/math] If the above is what you meant, I have done it and seen that it came out correctly. Thank you.

Edited by Chikis