Who wants to live forever?

dimreepr

@Lyudmilascience....so it seems that the topic question gravitates towards the issue of euthanasia....no easy answers there. I would suggest that there is a difference, in such a discussion, for example, between preventing a bipolar person who is on drugs and/or just experienced a breakup from harming him/herself, and preventing an 80-year-old, who is in terminally ill but of sound mind, from exercising his/her freedom of choice after due deliberation when it comes to deciding whether the quality of life is such that he/she wishes to continue.

@dim reaper

Just because I make the observation that narrowing down the topic makes it easier to avoid confusion does not mean that I had any intention of sneering.

I find that a topic with too narrow a focus tends not to generate much discussion and besides tangential posts can often create interesting ideas.

Having re-read your post I think I was a little hasty with the -1, so a +1 to apologies.

I am wondering what your suggestions are about dealing with fear about the future and how such a fear relates to the hypothetical ability of living forever. Are you suggesting, for example, that we embrace the future in a come-what-may attitude as some existentialist writers might suggest?

Basically yes (come-what-may should read come-what-must), there’s no harm planning to avoid an unpleasant future; but if one overreacts there’s a good chance one will create an even more unpleasant future. Equally there’s no harm in wanting that little self indulgence; but if one overreacts there’s a good chance one will create an unpleasant life.

i agree with this statement "people would like the option of being able to change their minds about the prospect of not dying, if and when life became unbearable, or even when the "costs" seemed to outweigh the benefits, and even if said costs were as abstract as an overwhelming sense of ennui, weltschmerz, or the purposelessness of life" but I think if you ask the question would you like to live forever you are not assuming its saying would you like to live forever if you had the option of willingly dyeing, then it wouldn't be forever then you can choose when you die. I wouldn't even want to choose when i dye because i have family members that attempted suicide and im glad they are still alive today that are now not depressed and as far as we know generally happy in life.

I have walked that path, which lead me to conclude that no-one has a purpose, in life, unless one assigns it.

Edited by dimreepr

dimreepr

yea I agree you have to assign a purpose to have a purpose but I thought about what purpose I would put on life and even if I came up with one which I did and even if I reach that purpose , I am perfectly fine living life without one just enjoying life finding the best suitable life for me at just taking pleasure in it so if you brought up that point to relate to suicide, then I think the purpose of life dose not always effect suicide.

I am perfectly fine living life without one

If that’s so then why introduce the concept of suicide?

The point is; if you have a reason to get up in the morning, you have no reason to question ‘which morning’.

If that’s so then why introduce the concept of suicide?

The point is; if you have a reason to get up in the morning, you have no reason to question ‘which morning’.

the point is because if you live forever you cannot commit suicide. you can still commit suicide weather you have a point to life or not people commit suicide when they feel like life is terrible they might have a goal in life but they feel like they will never reach it.

the point is because if you live forever you cannot commit suicide. you can still commit suicide weather you have a point to life or not people commit suicide when they feel like life is terrible they might have a goal in life but they feel like they will never reach it.

The past is today, yesterday, the present is today, today, and the future is today, tomorrow; everything changes in a day and yet nothing does.

A gift is still a gift after one inspects the teeth.

My point is: if one concentrates on now, the problems of yesterday or tomorrow fades, to vanishing, in importance and grows in acceptance and if you need a reason to concentrate, that’s fine, you just need to find one.

Edited by dimreepr