How does the group section work?

Hey guys,

I was just wonder how the group section works. I found that now I'm in the senior members and I had figured that was going to take a long time, which it didn't. But anyways I was wondering what are all the groups and are there set requirements for them? The main reason I'm asking is that I would like to know who I can trust the most. Obviously, I can trust moderators, admins, etc. Just wondering who would be the best people to trust, because I trust quite a few people, like string junkie, phi, and strange. Im not sure if this is a non-sense question or not, just wondering. Thank you!

In the past there were sections of the board you couldn't access until you had enough posts (politics and religion IIRC). But we later did away with that. I'm not sure being a senior member has any significance anymore.

As for whom to trust, that's a personal decision.

(Don't buy a "Rolex" from Phi, though)

We actually had some discussion backstage about some kind of distinction so newcomers would know who could be trusted to provide mainstream answers that won't get you kicked out of school. I think we can set up a user group to show a banner that proclaims this person a Homework Mentor (or something).

Our Resident Experts can always be trusted, especially in their areas of expertise. Beware of Mods trying to sell you "atomic clocks". Those things are bulky and look horrible on your wrist. Why sacrifice style for a few orders of magnitude more accuracy? If you're interested in elegant, classic timekeeping, I'm happy to help, for a modest phi....

We actually had some discussion backstage about some kind of distinction so newcomers would know who could be trusted to provide mainstream answers that won't get you kicked out of school. I think we can set up a user group to show a banner that proclaims this person a Homework Mentor (or something).

Our Resident Experts can always be trusted, especially in their areas of expertise. Beware of Mods trying to sell you "atomic clocks". Those things are bulky and look horrible on your wrist. Why sacrifice style for a few orders of magnitude more accuracy? If you're interested in elegant, classic timekeeping, I'm happy to help, for a modest phi....

Splendid, another rating/ranking system that will have the flock squabbling :P

I just use common sense when it comes to who to trust and we have the beauty of being able to stalk people's past posts! There are a lot of reliable people here and probably not enough banners for them. :P

I think that someone could sell me a poorly constructed, cheap knock off Rolex that weighed my wrist down and stopped working after a week even without the 'best price'. In fact, he may be more fearsome than Connery himself! :P

The idea behind the other group is to also show recognition to certain members. That reliably provide helpful and accurate answers that are not flavoured by personal ideas.

In particular those posters that go the extra mile to teach mainstream science.