eat your meal

Der_Neugierige

There is a video clip where Conan O'Brien creates a utopic sandwich, which is meant as a joke. One you tube comment was that you shouldn't play with food, because in African children die cause of starvation.

I believe this comment has no meaning, because if you waste your food or not doesn't matter children in Africa still die.

Stores and supermarkets have to dump their unsold food(a big amount by the way). In Switzerland and also in America this is the case. But not in France anymore. Last year they changed the law. All French stores have to recycle, compost or donate their unsold food. That's good in my opionion. I wished we also had the law here in Switzerland.

What parents mean is that one should be grateful to have access to food. Nowadays it is less of a topic (though there are still malnourished people in rich societies) but in the (post) war generation it was still a big issue.

There is a video clip where Conan O'Brien creates a utopic sandwich, which is meant as a joke. One you tube comment was that you shouldn't play with food, because in African children die cause of starvation.

I believe this comment has no meaning, because if you waste your food or not doesn't matter children in Africa still die.

It's meant to point out that adequate food is not to be taken for granted. Making one aware of one's privilege.

Stores and supermarkets have to dump their unsold food(a big amount by the way). In Switzerland and also in America this is the case. But not in France anymore. Last year they changed the law. All French stores have to recycle, compost or donate their unsold food. That's good in my opionion. I wished we also had the law here in Switzerland.

I believe they do this for environmental reasons, however and it has nothing to do with unequal distribution of food. A big portion of municipal and commercial waste is food. You can help reduce some of the environmental impact yourself by diverting food scraps into reusable garden products in your own home if you're concerned (apparently, I've yet to see quantifying data on this and even if it made a slight difference, it still doesn't solve the main problem which is the resources involved in producing, transporting, storing and cooking food). The solution is to eat efficiently and not buy and prepare more food than you need to; eat smaller portions, buy less food, buy sustainable produce, plan meals, consume leftovers.

So, I suppose you'd now tell your children not to waste their food because (methane) contributes to climate change and resources are finite.