What is the Wonderlic Test?

nec209

What does it say? If you the right person for the job? How does test score say if you the right person for the job?

Some jobs have the Wonderlic test and other jobs do not?

The so called Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test they call it.

What does it say? If you the right person for the job? How does test score say if you the right person for the job?

http://wonderlictestsample.com/wonderlic-test-scoring-explained/

Taking a quick glance, looks like it mainly tests rapid problem solving skill with a focus on math and language comprehension.

Some jobs have the Wonderlic test and other jobs do not?

Mostly depends on what the employer wants, though it may be more suitable for some occupations than others.

You may want to look at buying a study guide.

Rapid problem solving. The test is as much about speed as it is about finding the right answers.

Supposed to be comparable to the IQ test.

Generally not the only thing employers will look at in terms of finding the best fit for the job.

The list shows generally how others in that profession did.

If you don't mind me asking, have you taken this particular test recently or are you looking at taking it in the future?

Among other things, it's a test of whether you think that people who speak English are, in fact, American. (Because there's no way of deducing , from first principles how many cents there are in a nickel. There are other bits of American vernacular too)

It will, therefore be biassed against people who grew up elsewhere.

Using it in the UK would probably get you into trouble under the equality act.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of the test is to make money for the people who administer it.

Other language versions exist, but it has been criticized along those lines before.

Not a pass/fail test or even a test you are expected to complete, though a higher score is ideal.

Edited by Endy0816

Among other things, it's a test of whether you think that people who speak English are, in fact, American. (Because there's no way of deducing , from first principles how many cents there are in a nickel. There are other bits of American vernacular too)

It will, therefore be biassed against people who grew up elsewhere.

Using it in the UK would probably get you into trouble under the equality act.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of the test is to make money for the people who administer it.

So test be on math, sciance ,history and English. But would some one with only elementary school vs high school vs college effect the test different?

Rapid problem solving can only be done if such a person had a education. You can't do high school math if you never gone to high school.

Now if test is on what you know vs how smart you are there is a difference? If two people that have same eduaction but one does better at rapid problem solving than the other that is very different of what person got eduaction when they where young or not.

May be just way to see if you gone to college or not. Some one gone to college will do better on math, sciance ,history and English than some never gone to high school.

The problems I saw with the scrap of the test that I tried was that it would unfairly discriminate against someone unfamiliar with US coinage.

Others have, it seems, reported similar problems.

That's a badly constructed test.

I did go to university, but, while my chemistry degree course told me a lot about nickel, it didn't tell me how many cents are in one.

I also know people who went to college but would "fail" that test because they are dyslexic or dyscalculic.

You may want to look at buying a study guide.

Or not working for an organization stupid enough to rely on such tests.

Rapid problem solving can only be done if such a person had a education.

Nonsense.

You can't do high school math if you never gone to high school.

Not necessarily. You could teach yourself, for example.

Some one gone to college will do better on math, sciance ,history and English than some never gone to high school.

Not necessarily. I know people who have not gone to university but who would do far better in tests of some of those subjects than people who have.

It is mostly just an older pre-employment test designed to weed out applicants.

I'm still not sure why OP is interested in this particular test, as there are a number of similar tests out there. Some context would be helpful.

With studying and practice I think anyone can improve.

Fourteen seconds is not enough time to have you work on anything real complex, but it is more than enough time to see if you can find the answer to a question like:

3443.3434 + 34.0433434 + 34.0043343 = ?

a) 3511.4810777

b) 3511.3910777

c) 3512.2910777

d) 3511.2910777

NFL :|

Nonsense.

Not necessarily. You could teach yourself, for example.

Not necessarily. I know people who have not gone to university but who would do far better in tests of some of those subjects than people who have.

So it just way of only getting smart people for the job? And people that lack basic education do not get job.

If you do bad in math, sciance ,history and English you do not get the job?

So it just way of only getting smart people for the job? And people that lack basic education do not get job.

Smart is not the same as education.

I am sceptical that the test has much value for assessing either of those things.

If you do bad in math, sciance ,history and English you do not get the job?

If you do badly in some made up test (which may have nothing to do with your skills in those subjects) then they may decide not to give you the job.

I think the real reason for the existence of these tests is cowardice: managers are scared of choosing the wrong person and so pass the buck to a test. Then they can blame the test if things go wrong.

I think the real reason for the existence of these tests is cowardice: managers are scared of choosing the wrong person and so pass the buck to a test. Then they can blame the test if things go wrong.

What do you do instead in the case of a large number of applicants for a job without reliable evidence for past performance?

That is strange why did nurses score so low? :eek: :eek:

I don't understand why nurses score very slow. You would think most of them would be really educated and smart than most people.

They are really educated... at Nursing. That may not translate over to verbal reasoning and math problems.

Note:

Should mention that Wonderlic does not put their current test(s) out there, as their clients are the employers. Any versions online may not be recent or accurate.

Edited by Endy0816

What do you do instead in the case of a large number of applicants for a job without reliable evidence for past performance?

They are really educated... at Nursing. That may not translate over to verbal reasoning and math problems.

Note:

Should mention that Wonderlic does not put their current test(s) out there, as their clients are the employers. Any versions online may not be recent or accurate.

What do you mean by verbal reasoning. I thought most nurses have really high IQ.

That is strange why did nurses score so low? :eek: :eek:

I don't understand why nurses score very slow. You would think most of them would be really educated and smart than most people.

What would "most people" score on these tests? What is the average score for the population?

I bet that information is not available. I doubt any scientific studies have been done to validate these tests.

Why do you think nurses would be smarter than the average person? (They may be. I have no idea.)

I think this test may be useful to gather some preliminary information about job applicants. However, I don't believe it would be a good indicator of general intelligence. Like most standardised tests, the Wonderlic seems to be measuring linguistic, spatial and logical intelligence; yet there are other intelligence's that are not tested because they're most difficult to test. For example, if an employer could benefit using this test as a way to narrow down the list of applicants and select those with higher scores to go through to the next round which would be a face-to-face interview. Interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligence is equally as important for a lot of jobs, therefore this can be tested (although less objectively) in the interview process.

I personally believe it's important for employers to give preliminary exams to potential candidates that test a range of abilities. It's not difficult to exaggerate one's abilities or experience in a resume and interview, however, an exam is an extra piece of information which can be used to make an informed decision. It would work better if the test was taken in person right before the interview to ensure it's accuracy rather than online.

There are multiple ways in which people can be intelligent and it's difficult to access ones strengths using the one standarised test, however, this does not mean the test is useless as it can still be used to give employers some information. It just should not be used alone to determine one's intelligence but as part of an interview process.

You could interview and, if necessary, test them on their ability to do the job they are going to do.

But if that is too much like hard work, then by all means pay someone else to give them a generic, made-up test that may or may not be relevant or meaningful.

You could interview and, if necessary, test them on their ability to do the job they are going to do.

But if that is too much like hard work, then by all means pay someone else to give them a generic, made-up test that may or may not be relevant or meaningful.

The most you can do is put them through a series of tests and interviews. It's not uncommon to take an aptitude test designed by the company for many professions in Australia, as well as a phone interview and face-to-face interview. There is always a chance that the process is not objective enough, however, most companies will put you on a three to six month probation period also.

Edited by Sirona

What do you mean by verbal reasoning. I thought most nurses have really high IQ.

I'm going to get lynched for this but...

It depends on what you mean by "nurse".

The modern version of the profession is a paramedic of sorts.

the "old fashioned" version empties bad pans; washes patients, and folds sheets really neatly.

Only one of those stereotypes needs an IQ that's higher than average.

What would "most people" score on these tests? What is the average score for the population?

I bet that information is not available. I doubt any scientific studies have been done to validate these tests.

Why do you think nurses would be smarter than the average person? (They may be. I have no idea.)

Why? Becuse to be nurse you have to be really smart. When you walk into ER complaining of symptoms it is the triage nurse that will decide if you see doctor now or in 8 hours from now. It also nurse in the ER or other parts of hospital that will check on you time to time and say yep this person getting worse needs to see doctor now than later.

In my hospital nurse have even order blood work and ultrasound on family member in ER waiting to see ER doctor. Than waiting to see the ER doctor than the ER doctor ordering it than waiting more.

You also can't get into nursing school with out high school math, science and chemistry. That means a high school diploma or GED will not allow you to get into nursing school. If you don't take all your high school math, science and chemistry you will not get into nursing school.

And well yes there are some dumb nurses and doctors like any job you would think most them would be smarter than most people.

I'm going to get lynched for this but...

It depends on what you mean by "nurse".

The modern version of the profession is a paramedic of sorts.

the "old fashioned" version empties bad pans; washes patients, and folds sheets really neatly.

Only one of those stereotypes needs an IQ that's higher than average.

These are not nurses these are personal care worker nurse that feed you, wash you, take you to the bathroom and clean every thing up.

Edited by nec209

• 2 years later...
On 4/14/2016 at 1:39 AM, nec209 said:

That is strange why did nurses score so low? :eek::eek:

If this is true, maybe it is because they are trained to take a careful, thoughtful approach to the job.

I suspect I would do very badly on a test like this because my entire career has been focussed on solving problems where millions of dollars are at stake. Therefore you do not try and reach a conclusion quickly. I would probably hit the time limit while still thinking about the first question and triple-checking the possible answers to see which could be the best fit.

I think that intellgience is a grade of decision making, understanding, and a lot of things associated with control of mind.

People are regarded as intellectuals because they produce something of worth with their minds, like the ability to explain life or a rocket; intelligent people either help us to, or are themselves, more good than others.

Intelligence is how good you are with your mind (considering the universe and body) ultimately.