High IQ Society

Raider5678

Hi guys!

I was wondering, are high IQ society's more of a bragging rights thing rather then someplace you can actually learn stuff? I have a IQ of 136 but I question the correctness of it because it simply means I'm logical from what I know. So high IQ societies are probably not going to teach anything at all really with the exception of some rare post and stuff, or am I wrong?

Hi guys!

I was wondering, are high IQ society's more of a bragging rights thing rather then someplace you can actually learn stuff? I have a IQ of 136 but I question the correctness of it because it simply means I'm logical from what I know. So high IQ societies are probably not going to teach anything at all really with the exception of some rare post and stuff, or am I wrong?

I don't think it means you're "logical from what [you] know". What most people think of as "logical" these days is simply what makes sense to them. It has little to do with logic.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Your high IQ hasn't given you any magical clarity. I don't know what "rare post and stuff" is, or why you think a high IQ society (whatever that means) isn't going to teach anything at all really except that. Are you asking about societies that have high education levels?

When I was in my early teens I took a Mensa test. From what I remember, it was really only testing me on pattern recognition, not general knowledge or trivia. I was quite good at pattern recognition when I was younger.

Gee whiz it's Lewis Carrol, since when did reading Alice qualify for IQ points? :') The pictures were nice.

Maybe it tests whether one had gone up to Christ Church or something.

Edited by Xalatan

I don't think it means you're "logical from what [you] know". What most people think of as "logical" these days is simply what makes sense to them. It has little to do with logic.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Your high IQ hasn't given you any magical clarity. I don't know what "rare post and stuff" is, or why you think a high IQ society (whatever that means) isn't going to teach anything at all really except that. Are you asking about societies that have high education levels?

Basically the entire test consisted of pattern recognition, and deductive reasoning. To me logic IS deductive reasoning, not just something that HAS to be simply because it makes the most sense. What I meant by rare post and stuff is that once in awhile something that may teach will pop up, but its really not that common. Otherwise, it's not really a great place to learn. And with the exception of the rare post the High IQ Society probably won't teach me anything that will help me learn more. And if you look up High IQ Society, you will find a group of people with "high IQs" What I'm wondering is if its actually going to teach me anything or is it simply something you can brag about? Have a great weekend!

I tend to think that any group that predicates membership on having a high IQ is going to attract members who are most interested in showing off the fact that they have a high IQ.

If you want to get involved in a community that is going to help you learn things, look for a community who accepts members based on whether they want to learn things.

I took a couple of the sample tests linked from the High IQ website. I got 150 for one and 100 for the other (with some rather condescending comments that, maybe if I worked hard I might be able to make something of my life ...)

The one I scored badly on had questions about the meanings of words (and, therefore, nothing to do with intelligence as I understand it) one of which was just plain wrong (I guessed and got it right anyway). And golf.

The other one was clearly highly accurate at assessing how brilliant people are.

I believe that IQ tests tend to lead people into a state of paranoid schizophrenia where they can create delusions in their own heads. People who score badly form this delusion that they will never be able to do anything in life whereas people who score well tend to believe they need to work less hard. If it was just IQ that made people intelligent surely electricity would have been invented sooner.

What is measured in a IQ test is definitely not one's prescience. Prescience is defined as the ability to know what will or might happen in the future i.e foresight. Prescience is one aspect of what could be termed good judgment. A lot of people with high IQs don't necessarily display good judgment in their decision making.

In my opinion IQ tests are not very good at testing peoples intelligence, partially because it is possible to "study" for them. Even the ones mostly regarding pattern recognition are seriously flawed in this, as a lot of the questions they ask can be answered very simply by formulae taken from discrete mathematics. There is no deductive reasoning required simply plug numbers into the correct formula.

What is measured in a IQ test is definitely not one's prescience. Prescience is defined as the ability to know what will or might happen in the future i.e foresight. Prescience is one aspect of what could be termed good judgment. A lot of people with high IQs don't necessarily display good judgment in their decision making.

That, is the truest thing that has ever been typed in this topic. I tend to make terrible decisions XD

.Basically the entire test consisted of pattern recognition, and deductive reasoning. To me logic IS deductive reasoning, not just something that HAS to be simply because it makes the most sense. What I meant by rare post and stuff is that once in awhile something that may teach will pop up, but its really not that common. Otherwise, it's not really a great place to learn. And with the exception of the rare post the High IQ Society probably won't teach me anything that will help me learn more. And if you look up High IQ Society, you will find a group of people with "high IQs" What I'm wondering is if its actually going to teach me anything or is it simply something you can brag about? Have a great weekend!

It's a poseurs club for people that are good at doing puzzles. IQ tests might be useful for people with cognitive problems to determine the level of potential in performing certain mental tasks.

Edited by StringJunky

I have heard of Mensa and always thought it was club for like-minded idiots.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I was a Mensa member for a year. All I got for my membership fee was a magazine every 3 months. It really didn't seem worth it.

Yeah, one thing I've learned: Being smart doesn't insulate you from being stupid, it just makes your stupidities more elaborate.

Funny.:) My grandad used to say: "An ounce of common sense is worth a pound of intelligence". His son got a Masters in engineering, and he always said he had no commonsense.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I was a Mensa member for a year. All I got for my membership fee was a magazine every 3 months. It really didn't seem worth it.

Like the film awards, it's just self-congratulatory narcissism; corporate masturbation.

Last iq test I had to take wisc-v had the following question

'who wrote alice in wonderland'

What does knowing who wrote alice in wonderland have to do with brains??

Just a thought; would you have lost marks for saying it was Charles Dodgson?

The point to remember about an IQ is that it is a measure of how well you do in IQ tests.

that's all- nothing more; nothing less.

And here is a real gem from Donald Trump:

"Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest -and you all know it! Please don't feel so stupid or insecure,it's not your fault"

Check out @realDonaldTrump's Tweet: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/332308211321425920?s=09

Of course, in his case, I.Q. stands for "Immodesty Quotient".