The development of pneumatic bones

I have a question that, for some reason, I simply can't find the answer to anywhere. Despite a lot of searching.

For a while I've been researching the phenomenon of pneumatic or hollow bones in birds, and that's all very fascinating. I've also found out that pneumatization can occur in bones not normally pneumatized during a "pathological development". I'm assuming that means as a genetic inconsistency due to some kind of disease.

However, what I'm interested in is a more conclusive explanation as to how pneumatic bones did, or at least could have developed. And perhaps how they theoretically could develop in a species that normally does not have them.

Thank you for your time :)

At a first guess, I'd imagine that a mutation for hollow bones enabled the individual bird to be more fuel efficient with regards to its calorie intake, as less weight means less energy expended to fly.

Perhaps those surplus calories enabled the bird to have more offspring, or survive in conditions of less available food, etc.

That's just a thought off the top of my head, though.

Edited by Daecon