What are worm holes?

Raider5678

I heard about wormholes, I get they are shortcuts through spacetime, they are generally too unstable to use, and that they may be able to travel through time. What I don't understand is why they randomly punch holes in space time and how they do it. Is it simply a large amount of energy that creates them or some kind of gravitational anomaly? Another question is what happens if you're inside the wormhole when it collapse? Since matter can't be destroyed do you enter some kind of dimension we never thought of or do you just instantly get shot out the way you came? And how would someone make it stable or hasn't that been figured out yet? Thanks in advance

Firstly, worrmholes are purely hypothetical; they are a possible solution to the equations of general relativity but that does not mean they exists.

They don't "randomly" create holes in space time, they can only exist under very special circumstance (such as at the centre of a rotating black hole).

If the wormhole collapsed while you were travelling through it, I guess the result would be the same as falling into a balck hole - in other words: no one knows!

To make it stable you need huge amounts of negative energy. As there is no evidence that even small amounts of negative energy exist, there are probably no stable wormholes.

This may all change if/when we have a theory of quantum gravity. That might make wormholes more plausible or show that they are impossible.

You may also want to google J.A. Wheeler's concept of space-time at Planck scales.

The 'quantum foam' is assumed to be composed of extremely tiny wormholes popping in and out of existence.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey that is a good question, ill give you the jist and reasoning behind wormholes, since i am noob too, i don't mind people pointing out my mistakes.
Say you take a living creature that lives in the 2-dimensional world and you place him on any 2-d layer on a sphere. Now, as a side note, know that a sphere is 3-d and it is made of an infinite amount of layers of 2-d surfaces. Say you put the 2-d creature on the the outermost layer of the sphere. Also know that creature is living in that 2 dimensional outer surface of the sphere, not over it since the 2nd dimension does not include height.

After you have placed the creature there, you tell him to go to the exact opposite end of this huge entire sphere. For him, he will have to go all the way around until he gets to that other side, however, we as 3rd dimension observers know that you can simply cut through the sphere and reach to the other side. The 2-d observing creature does not know this since he is ignorant of the 3rd dimension,

It is the same phenomena with wormholes. We only observe the third dimension, but just like there is a shortcut for the 2-d creature's plane world in the third dimension, there is also way for us to travel to the other side of universe through the fourth dimension, which is time. Since we exist on a coordinate system including the fourth dimension, but we only observe things of the 3rd dimension, we cannot see the particles that would make up a wormhole.

it might be possible to use quantum mechanic to create a wormhole if we can just understand why and how entangled electron get entangled and their instantaneous communication over vast distances.

what do you think strange

and yeah a wormhole bends and bring two points of space together so basically your blackhole part dont make scence. lol

Firstly, worrmholes are purely hypothetical; they are a possible solution to the equations of general relativity but that does not mean they exists.

They don't "randomly" create holes in space time, they can only exist under very special circumstance (such as at the centre of a rotating black hole).

If the wormhole collapsed while you were travelling through it, I guess the result would be the same as falling into a balck hole - in other words: no one knows!

To make it stable you need huge amounts of negative energy. As there is no evidence that even small amounts of negative energy exist, there are probably no stable wormholes.

This may all change if/when we have a theory of quantum gravity. That might make wormholes more plausible or show that they are impossible.

Edited by Hyper

• 1 month later...

Indeed. Purely hypothetical. Mainly used for purposes of trying to give some possibnility to equally hypothetical scenaris like Time Travel, and quick shortcuts through the vast Cosmos.

I would add that, though they are entertaining to think about--much like Conspiracy theories--it it just as likely we will one day prove Worm Holes do not exist as we will prove that they do. In fact, it I had to bet on it, my money would be on the "no such thing" side of the table.

I mean, sure, there are likely some weird aberrations out there in the Space Time Continuum, maybe like strips of extra dense Dark Energy where matter and even space and time are repulsed more harshly than amidst the regular DarkEnergy fields. Or--closer to the wormhole thing--strips of LESS intense Dark Energy or Dark Matter where resistance is lessened, thus maybe allowing for speedier navigation through them. But a classic wormhole per se, as a path to Time Travel? Very unlikely.

Indeed. Purely hypothetical. Mainly used for purposes of trying to give some possibnility to equally hypothetical scenaris like Time Travel, and quick shortcuts through the vast Cosmos.

I would add that, though they are entertaining to think about--much like Conspiracy theories--it it just as likely we will one day prove Worm Holes do not exist as we will prove that they do. In fact, it I had to bet on it, my money would be on the "no such thing" side of the table.

I mean, sure, there are likely some weird aberrations out there in the Space Time Continuum, maybe like strips of extra dense Dark Energy where matter and even space and time are repulsed more harshly than amidst the regular DarkEnergy fields. Or--closer to the wormhole thing--strips of LESS intense Dark Energy or Dark Matter where resistance is lessened, thus maybe allowing for speedier navigation through them. But a classic wormhole per se, as a path to Time Travel? Very unlikely.

It was my belief that they decided worm holes may be real because they would be possible with the current theory of general relativity.

An argument from personal incredulity is not very compelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Edited by Strange

An argument from personal incredulity is not very compelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

You need to get out more. My argument only contains my own personal incredulity as a small part of the overall argument I make.

Which is..wormholes exist only on paper diagrams and computer models that are all products of the minds of theoretical physicists and Cosmologists. An argument could be made that thus far the evidence is nil, and is no more compelling than many other examples of scientific, check that...psuedo scientific, menta! Gymnastics.

I was gonna say mental masturbation, but decided to err on the side of p.c.

Thanks.

An argument could be made that thus far the evidence is nil

You are right in that as of now there is no empirical evidence for the existence of wormholes and similar topological constructs; nonetheless, the fact remains that these are mathematically valid solutions to the gravitational field equations. Since those very same equations are otherwise in extremely good accord with experiment and observation, I think a case can also be made for not readily dismissing these phenomena purely on ideological grounds. There is certainly no scientific reason to a priori rule them out. In fact, as recent work on the ER=EPR conjecture has shown, such concepts may well have a role to play in the fundamental makeup of spacetime.

Which is..wormholes exist only on paper diagrams and computer models that are all products of the minds of theoretical physicists and Cosmologists. An argument could be made that thus far the evidence is nil, and is no more compelling than many other examples of scientific, check that...psuedo scientific, menta! Gymnastics.

I was gonna say mental masturbation, but decided to err on the side of p.c.

Thanks.

Sometimes, ideas come up to solve a problem before they are actually confirmed. Mental masturbation can be very useful and insightful when done right. It's how many models are made. .

!

Moderator Note

Back on topic please - wormholes.

VelocityBoy - less of the comments impugning the character of other members please.

Do not respond to this moderation within the thread