The Official JOKES SECTION :)

YT2095

Discussion of pi on another thread reminded me of this joke; Farmer Jedediah didn't want to send his son to college because of the expense and the fact he would lose the son's help on the farm while in school but his wife convinced him it would be worthwhile. After the first semester, the son is home and everyone is sitting around the supper table when Jedediah says, "So son, what kinda classes are ya takin' at that thar college?" The boy replies, "I'm taking French, Latin and math." The father says, "Ok, say something in French." The son says "C'est la vie". The older man just goes hmmph and tells the kid to say something in Latin so the Younger man says, "caveat emptor". Not knowing a word of either language, all Jedediah can do is shake his head and ask the boy to , "Say something mathematical." The son, chest swelling with pride at having answered his father's questions, blurts out, "Pi r squared." The farmer, raising his voice, says, "That's it! You are no longer going to college. Not only are you learning all kinds of useless stuff, you are learning wrong stuff. Everyone knows pie ain't squared, it's round. Cakes is squared."

• 2 weeks later...

May need a British --> American translator.  I gather the peace sign, when held up backwards in UK, is a rude gesture.  Not sure about the image source.   Anyway, agree the new payment requirement is crap.  

3 hours ago, TheVat said:

May need a British --> American translator.  I gather the peace sign, when held up backwards in UK, is a rude gesture.  Not sure about the image source.   Anyway, agree the new payment requirement is crap.  

The actor is British comedian Frankie Howerd in his leading role of Lurcio, the down-trodden slave in the early 1970s BBC TV comedy series 'Up Pompeii' - (He just seemed to bear a passing resemblance to a certain well known US tycoon.)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/up_pompeii/cast_crew/

The comedy series which is set in Pompeii just before its destruction by the eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79, was loosely  based on the Latin plays of Plautus. It follows the scheming adventures of Lurcio as he manipulates his master Ludicrus Sextus, his wife Ammonia, and their aptly named son and daughter - Nausius and Erotica respectively. :-)

On 4/24/2023 at 5:57 PM, TheVat said:

Frankie Howerd's best known catch-phrase was  "Titter Ye Not !"  - So the caption should probably have read "Twitter Ye Not !" 😉 

Har!  Wonder if those old Up Pompeii shows have survived.  Sounds like a series possibly influenced by Stephen Sondheim's sixties comedy, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. (which was also inspired by the farces of Plautus)