The Official JOKES SECTION :)

YT2095

15 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Would whoever marked that down like to explain why?
In particular, do they realise that people are apes?

See post prior to yours.  Hope it's helpful in your future interactions here, and especially with Americans.  The DV is not from me.  Again, must be something less understandable to folks in UK.  

Edited by TheVat

17 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Would whoever marked that down like to explain why?

I did not give you the downvote, but in response to your question...

The comedian Roseanne Barr resurrected one of the oldest and most profoundly racist slanders in American history when she referred to Valerie Jarrett, an African-American woman who served as an adviser to President Barack Obama, as the offspring of an ape.

This depiction — promoted by slave traders, historians and practitioners of “scientific” racism — was used to justify slavery, lynching and the creation of the Jim Crow state. It made the leap to the silver screen in deeply noxious films like “The Birth of a Nation” and haunted American popular culture well into the 20th century.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/opinion/roseanne-racism-blacks-apes.html

In particular, do they realise that people are apes?

WRT referring to blacks as apes, that realization is irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, TheVat said:

And here we were just discussing, over in political humor, what lines can be crossed in joking.  I'm pretty sure you didn't intend the mindbendingly racist aspect of referring to black people as apes.  In the United States, this particular slur has a long and terrible history, and a person of color visiting this thread (or anyone, really) might well decide this forum is not worth their time.  I won't DV you, but respectfully request you be aware of why this post is offensive.

Sorry; I thought this was a science site.
We spend enough time explaining to the God-Squad that people are apes that I thought it was acceptable.

OK, I stand by my observation, but have clarified it.

9 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

You were correct in thinking this was a science site. You were incorrect in assuming that absolves you from considering the impact your words may have on others. I'm pretty sure even scientists are social creatures with feelings.

Edited by zapatos

11 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

We spend enough time explaining to the God-Squad that people are apes that I thought it was acceptable.

OK, I stand by my observation, but have clarified it.

You should apologize.  Instead of a condescending nonapology which ducks the issue and focuses on an issue that no one has with your post.  Yes, we are hominins, related closely to the great apes, yata yata yata.  Your post, however, is a gross racist slur, in many areas of the world.  However unintended.  

In my country, the Blacks = apes comparison has been the basis for  massive brutality, suffering and death.  And the "science" of the comparison has not been of much comfort to those on the receiving end, I can assure you.  

Just a thought.
If I really wanted to make black people look stupid, I'd post that video clip without mentioning that it's fake.
I'd let people think that it illustrates a real incident where a group of people did something monumentally stupid.
(Rather than it being an advert for a film.)

83,048,009 views 6 Jul 2011

In theaters now! Purchase tickets online @ http://www.fandango.com/riseoftheplan... ---------------- http://www.facebook.com/apeswillrise - For the latest 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' news & updates ------ http://itun.es/igb4Ky - --- Soldiers give monkey a loaded gun

From
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU

In broad terms, do you think that video clip is more likely to be quoted out of context by racists or non racists?
Which group do you want to be seen as part of?
In broad terms, does the video that purportedly shows a group of black guys being really really stupid (without making it clear that they are paid actors) play in favour of, or against, racism?

So, OK I apologise.
I was too subtle in pointing out that (without context) the video is "too wrong to be funny". That video is deeply offensive. I really think that the best thing to do is either clarify that the video is deliberately fake or take it down.

(Not everyone will realise that a chimp wouldn't be able to handle the recoil of a real gun; nor would they calmly ignore the noise it made)

I also apologise for not realising the full extent to which people would be offended by the way I did that.
OK I really am sorry about that.
I'm also sorry for any offence I caused.

Here is one I just copied and pasted from iNow's other site

charro, with his big hat, his boots and his gun hanging on his waist  went to a bar and approaching approaching the counter asked for a double shot of tequila. While the bartender was filling the glass, a beautiful woman took a seat on his right.

The charro took another shot and started to flirt with the woman. She didn't show any interest on him. So, he presented himself as Juan.

-Hey, bonita, mi nombre es Juan, do you see? I have my hat, my boots, my gun, I'm a mero mero charro. And you, what is your name?

The woman had a beer and answered him with total indifferece.

-My name is Albert.

-Albert?! -replied the charro, but... I think that is a male name.

-I will explain to you -said the woman- I'm a lesbian.

-A lesbian?! -asked again the charro - and, what is to be a lesbian?

-I will tell you this way: I love women, I always look for having a date with a woman, I dream with women. My deeper wishes are to have a different woman having sex with me every night. - She ended her beer, left a tip over the counter and left the place.

The charro had some more double shots of tequilas. A group of young men who just came into the bar at that moment and saw him and approached him.

- Hey! Look at here! A charro! Look at his hat... his boots... his gun... -said one of the young men. With great curiosity they asked:

- Sir, excuse us please, but... are you a charro?... a real charro?

-I'm not sure anymore- replied the other very pensive- I think... I think I'm a lesbian.

Edited by geordief

@John Cuthber

..you truly deserve to be called an "ape" and not "homo sapiens".. this video wasn't about "apes and black people".. it was about "giving guns to the wrong hands that can turn against you".. If you were a "homo sapiens", and not a "ape", you would have figured it out, but your hatred blinds you and prevents you from seeing the real content.. V.P. is giving weapons to the wrong hands, i.e. criminals from prisons and ordinary Russians who don't share his madness, and might turn against V.P. and his mafia..

The ancient Romans did this twenty centuries ago, and it began and ended their downfall..

Wow! I never imagined it would turn into some kind of racist thread branch.. You need to flush that shit out of your head..

Edited by Sensei

41 minutes ago, Sensei said:

@John Cuthber

..you truly deserve to be called an "ape" and not "homo sapiens".. this video wasn't about "apes and black people".. it was about "giving guns to the wrong hands that can turn against you".. If you were a "homo sapiens", and not a "ape", you would have figured it out, but your hatred blinds you and prevents you from seeing the real content.. V.P. is giving weapons to the wrong hands, i.e. criminals from prisons and ordinary Russians who don't share his madness, and might turn against V.P. and his mafia..

The ancient Romans did this twenty centuries ago, and it began and ended their downfall..

Wow! I never imagined it would turn into some kind of racist thread branch.. You need to flush that shit out of your head..

JC has not shown one hint of racism. He's explained what he meant. If people want to hold him to another interpretation that's their issue.

Edited by StringJunky

10 hours ago, Sensei said:

this video wasn't about "apes and black people".. it was about "giving guns to the wrong hands that can turn against you".

Actually it was about "come and see our new movie.
Thank you for illustrating my point about how it will be misinterpreted without that context.

you truly deserve to be called an "ape" and not "homo sapiens"

Name calling ... srsly?
I expected better

but your hatred blinds you

Hatred of what exactly?
Have you leapt to the stupid conclusion that I'm racist?

14 hours ago, iNow said:

FWIW, I knew that you meant humans are apes, not black people are apes. 

On another note, can we please stop the meta discussions in joke threads? It really ruins the flow. 

It might be an idea to take the bad, unfunny video and the comments it provoked into another thread.
(And if someone was to delete that thread, it wouldn't be the end of the world)

15 hours ago, Sensei said:

@John Cuthber

Well technically he is an ape and so are you and me and all other humans. 

I appreciated @John Cuthber 's gracious response and expression of regret for the unintended implications.  I myself have often made the joke that we humans are "apes with cellphones."  

The video itself, without interpretive remarks, is not racist.  Just absurd.  I laughed when I first saw it a couple years ago.  (and clearly fake, for the reasons already mentioned....plus who would keep holding the camera in that situation?)

I thought this line, in a Washington Post article on polar vortexes and weather, was amusing...

"A sudden stratospheric warming ensues when air temperatures in the stratosphere rapidly increase. "

And illustrates one of the problems with science journalism when the writer is trying too hard to explain everything clearly.  Still, a bit surprised an editor didn't catch the redundancy.  Or maybe tautology is the word.

2 minutes ago, TheVat said:

a bit surprised an editor didn't catch the redundancy

He was OOO. Had an appt at the Department of Redundancy Department.

Or it was AI generated text… especially common in financial news pieces 

• 2 weeks later...

A joke in a dream. 

I was watching (as per in the dream) a young precocious  Shirley Temple lookalike being interviewed as to where her parents (or similar) were living.

She answered  "in a cabin"(indicating ,I gathered her humble origins/connections) ,followed immediately by "in space" (indicating the opposite -like it was something really fancy and exclusive)

That is some kind of a common joke trope I think but it is the first time I have been so "joked"  in my dreams

(I think the "audience" was "goshed" by her repartee)

Edited by geordief