How did we miss a planet?

So Planet X is real apparently. Or at least in the same sense as the finding of the chupacabra. Why are we so bad at locating this thing? Why is this happening now instead of a hundred years ago when the math was still there? And will we ever hear the end of it from conspiracy theorists?

Why are you so bad at preparing an OP for meaningful discussion? It would help to have links for reference. It would sure stop a lot of wasted time asking wtf are you on about.

The chupacabra reference sure didn't help clarify anything either. Neither did the comment about the math "being there" a hundred years ago, but not now.

How about taking another shot at it?

About the only Part that made sense was planet x. Which comes up every time we discover a new planet/planetoid in our solar system.

Though afaik the latest news isn't conclusive.

http://m.caltech.edu/news/caltech-researchers-find-evidence-real-ninth-planet-49523

But Planet X was a popular Doomsday planet. (Nibiru)

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/planet-x-nibiru-headed-earth-doomsayers-article-1.2504846&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwia68GSsNPLAhWCKGMKHU9vCdIQFggZMAI&usg=AFQjCNEV9KHH-xLOBn6E1zh0E0HLmCxs_A

No the conspiracy theories will never stop.

As far as finding planets, it's not as easy as one thinks. Particularly at the distance this one is at.

The amount of light from our sun being reflected would be so miniscule the planet would practically be invisible

(Note we have not directly observed this planet yet)

Cosmic objects can be found by:

- if they are emitting their own light at visible range, like star.

- if they are emitting their own light at invisible range, because of temperature.

- if they have tremendous gravitational force to surrounding it objects, like black hole (but it must be surrounded by some object in the first place!)

- if they bend (or absorb) light emitted by object behind it.

- if they reflect light emitted by other object (planet is visible because light from the Sun is reflected by it).

Actually it's the same as with any ordinary Earth object/particle..

Why are you so bad at preparing an OP for meaningful discussion? It would help to have links for reference. It would sure stop a lot of wasted time asking wtf are you on about.

The chupacabra reference sure didn't help clarify anything either. Neither did the comment about the math "being there" a hundred years ago, but not now.

How about taking another shot at it?

In other words, Mordred is psychic?

Cosmic objects can be found by:

- if they are emitting their own light at visible range, like star.

- if they are emitting their own light at invisible range, because of temperature.

- if they have tremendous gravitational force to surrounding it objects, like black hole (but it must be surrounded by some object in the first place!)

- if they bend (or absorb) light emitted by object behind it.

- if they reflect light emitted by other object (planet is visible because light from the Sun is reflected by it).

Actually it's the same as with any ordinary Earth object/particle..

So basically it's so far out hardly any sun light is illuminating it? And it has to be observed to be located in space? i.e. math can't tell us where it is along it's path? Thats the answer I was looking for, thank you.

What are you referring to?

I assumed every one here would know what I was speaking of as it was brought up recently all over magazines and news feeds.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/20/us/possible-ninth-planet/

http://www.livescience.com/53432-planet-x-may-be-real-evidence-mounting-for-9th-planet-video.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hidden-planet-x-could-orbit-in-outer-solar-system/

and so on and so fourth.

Edited by GrandMasterK

So basically it's so far out hardly any sun light is illuminating it?

Light from the Sun follows inverse square law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Every double increase of distance, means power, energy, quantity of photons drop to 25%.

It's in primary units divided by meter square.

So size of object reflecting photons has also influence whether it will be visible.

100 meters diameter rock has approximately PI*50^2 area in direction of Sun.

Reflected photons also follow inverse square law in this case,

So actually we have two distances: one from Sun to object, then from object to current location of Earth (changing day by day).

And it has to be observed to be located in space? i.e. math can't tell us where it is along it's path? Thats the answer I was looking for, thank you.

You can look at other, visible objects, around the one you're searching for, for anomalies in their trajectories.

If path is slightly different than expected, there has to be gravitational source somewhere changing their path.

Light from the Sun follows inverse square law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Every double increase of distance, means power, energy, quantity of photons drop to 25%.

It's in primary units divided by meter square.

So size of object reflecting photons has also influence whether it will be visible.

100 meters diameter rock has approximately PI*50^2 area in direction of Sun.

Reflected photons also follow inverse square law in this case,

So actually we have two distances: one from Sun to object, then from object to current location of Earth (changing day by day).

You can look at other, visible objects, around the one you're searching for, for anomalies in their trajectories.

If path is slightly different than expected, there has to be gravitational source somewhere changing their path.

A photon is a photon and does not suffer an inverse square decline - it is the aggregation of many photons ie light that varies by 1/r^2

If I'm not mistaken. The reason it has eluded our observation (if it exists of course) is because it is in an an extremely eccentric orbit. The only evidence of its existence is the fact we've detected asteroids in orbits such that an large object in the specific theorized orbit of Planet X could explain why those asteroids are there. That is the layman's explanation I've heard.

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. -- Douglas Adams

It's a bit tongue in cheek, but it really is apt. Trying to find a given object at the distances astronomers think this Planet X lies requires diligence and not a little bit of luck. Even if you have the math to infer the existence of such an object, finding it still isn't an easy thing to do.

It's a bit tongue in cheek, but it really is apt.

Indeed, if I always look the wrong way at the wrong time, I could always be looking at nothing; even in a very limited space.

But how did we miss a God?

Edited by dimreepr

Phi for all offered a suggestion to better encourage a good discussion.

You weren't getting much of a discussion from your OP till I added the missing details.

Which done well, you could have done in the first place as it took me less than five minutes to connect the dots.

(Not everyone is aware of the latest news on a potential new planet, I just happened to be familiar with that bit of news)

Ideally you want to supply enough information that even the most uninformed reader can participate.

In other words, nobody is entitled to a mistake? The point could of been communicated far more respectively, especially from a moderator. I wasn't even given a chance to correct myself without getting rained on by snobbery. The point was made quite clearly from Endy's comment and phi's trite commentary was pointless. All you needed to do was wait a little while and I would of clarified. So in actuality he accomplished nothing but satisfying his own warped sense of entitlement. I'm not trying to start a thing here, but I don't believe in keeping silent when the people who are supposed to manage civility need to be managed and neither should anyone. You have no excuse, sir. Self-awareness is a curse but a little can do wonders. Endy's post was more than sufficient, thank you. Also thank you Mordred for handling it the proper way. A keen example on how to build a strong community.

In other words, nobody is entitled to a mistake? The point could of been communicated far more respectively, especially from a moderator. I wasn't even given a chance to correct myself without getting rained on by snobbery. The point was made quite clearly from Endy's comment and phi's trite commentary was pointless. All you needed to do was wait a little while and I would of clarified. So in actuality he accomplished nothing but satisfying his own warped sense of entitlement. I'm not trying to start a thing here, but I don't believe in keeping silent when the people who are supposed to manage civility need to be managed and neither should anyone. You have no excuse, sir. Self-awareness is a curse but a little can do wonders. Endy's post was more than sufficient, thank you. Also thank you Mordred for handling it the proper way. A keen example on how to build a strong community.

Holy crap, why don't you just grow up, and accept that you made a mistake, and OWN IT? You're the one who can't resist commenting like a juvenile on legitimate criticism. What, does nobody question your behavior where you live?

• 1 month later...

Sure, the evidence is pretty compelling that this Planet Nine (this is the current appellation..NOT Planet X!) actually exists, but the thing is the distance, man.

Twenty times as far from the Sun as Neptune?

Almost 20,000 years to make one complete orbit around the sun?

Pluto only took a comparatively speedy 250 years to make one full lap!

Hardly part of what most would consider our Solar System.

But I guess that, Cosmologically speaking, if ANY body is locked into an orbit around the star that we call our Sun, it IS a part of our solar (solar = "sun") system.

So.....technically, Go for it, Planet Nine! Welcome Aboard! Looks like we found a replacement for the down-graded Pluto!

But, we gotta get a better name for it.

Planet Nine sounds like the name of a B Grade Sci Fi flick!

LOL

Thanks.

Edited by Velocity_Boy