Freedom of no religion

fiveworlds

Depends what you mean by bothered and how sensitive you are. I live in London and don't get bothered by religious people: but people will try to give me leaflets and have a chat if i'm willing.

I suspect a country where no one approaches you at all about religion would be a totalitarian regime of some kind.

I live in London and don't get bothered by religious people: but people will try to give me leaflets and have a chat if i'm willing.

So you do get bothered by them then. I get various groups knocking on my door trying to convert me.

I suspect a country where no one approaches you at all about religion

I want one where religion is illegal and people are exiled for practicing it.

So you do get bothered by them then. I get various groups knocking on my door trying to convert me.

I want one where religion is illegal and people are exiled for practicing it.

I also get various groups knocking on my door asking me to vote a certain way. It just doesn't bother me, but that's a personal thing.

Sounds like a communist country is the closest you will get to annihilating religious people. China? Still no where near free from religion.

Pick a small country, and there should be fewer religious people. Vatican City is the smallest country...

OK, how about Monaco? I doubt the millionaires who make up the country's population allow much door-to-door Bible-thumping.

Sounds like they need a better marketing/promotions team.

I wouldn't want to live some place where people's personal freedoms are restricted. Isn't 'no religion' the same as 'religious'? Both are a means of control. Micromanaging every aspects of people's lives and restricting their choices creates fear.

Generally metropolitan cities are less religious due to their diversity, higher standards of education, communication, etc. I've never really had any issues in major Australian cities.

No religion means no spouting gibberish you have absolutely no proof of.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was, isn't a society who forces people to be religious the same as one that doesn't allow religion?

In the US, religious cranks are trying to evict science from the education in favor of teaching christian views. They are causing harm to society, not only in schools, but other things too.

Edited by EdEarl

Not annihilating just that they have to leave. There are plenty of religious countries that kick out other religions.

I don't think I'd like to live in a country that is like those who currently throw people out for their beliefs. I don't see any difference between throwing out Christians because you want a muslim country or because you want an atheist country. I can't say I'm too fond of people who are so intolerant.

I don't think I'd like to live in a country that is like those who currently throw people out for their beliefs. I don't see any difference between throwing out Christians because you want a muslim country or because you want an atheist country. I can't say I'm too fond of people who are so intolerant.

I respect everyone's freedom of religion, as long as they respect my freedom from religion. If someone tries to run my life based on their religious beliefs, then there is a problem I will not endure.

I respect everyone's freedom of religion, as long as they respect my freedom from religion. If someone tries to run my life based on their religious beliefs, then there is a problem I will not endure.

Just curious, but as you are in Texas I believe a lot of people are trying to impact your life right now based on their religious beliefs. Is that something that impacts you? Are you fighting back in any way?

Just curious, but as you are in Texas I believe a lot of people are trying to impact your life right now based on their religious beliefs. Is that something that impacts you? Are you fighting back in any way?

I fight back when possible, but most of the battles are in the courts and I'm not involved. It does affect me because my wife is a k-5 teacher, I have children and grandchildren. It's not only Texas; though, Texas is among the worst.

Edited by EdEarl

Your mention of finding a place that makes religion illegal and living in a land where people don't do dumb unreasonable things would prevent you from living there since such suggestions are themselves dumb and unreasonable.

That aside, if I interpret the true intent of your OP accurately, then any of the Scandinavian countries like Finland or Norway or Sweden would probably be closest to that ideal.

The highest reported incidence of atheism in Europe seems to be France
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

(I was a bit surprised by that)

The lowest reported incidence of "I believe there is a God" is the Czech republic.

So, if you are looking fr somewhere that might ban the God-botherers I'd suggest France.

But, in the mean time, the place where the smallest fraction of the population think there's a God about whom you should think, it's the Czech republic.

In general the USA looks to be a bad place for being an atheist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_the_United_States#Tables

But,overall, if you really want "freedom" it seems you have to go to China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_China

My personal preference is to stay in the UK and try to convert those who knock on my door and ask me if I have thought about God.

My dad's policy is a bit different. He invites them in, offers them tea, coffee or fruit juice (not all of them drink stimulants like caffeine).

Then he listens patiently and, at the end they usually comment that it's unusual for someone to be so considerate.

He then explains that, since he's old and alone, he doesn't have much else to do and

he knows that while they are talking to him, they are not bothering anyone with more important things to do.

Well, France is one of the few countries that has established state secularity (laïcité). While other countries do have sort of separation (often to protect religious freedom) in France there seems to be the notion that religion should be kept out of the public sphere (which could limit certain religious aspects). But no infringements are allowed on the private level. Due to France's history in this regard, I guess it is not terribly surprising that atheism is high and that many see morals as a concept that is distinct from religion.

In many European countries religion still has significant, if sometimes subtle, influence.