requirements for teaching/research assistant?

blue89

hello dear scientists :)

I am new member in this website.and apologise if there already exist answers before questioning.

as you see I want to be research/teaching asistant ,international especialy I wish it to be in usa ,canada ,or australya how possible is.

and before of my questions I want to give my features.

** firstly I am 26 years old ,and now MSc (thesis based) student (new) (interest : functional analysis).(it is not new this state,but because of lots of difficulties to be academician in this part of science in turkey, Ihave had a break for a while)

** in personality , I can say that I am very very social, I love almost all humans,and can communicate with. but I do not know whether it is required any documantation to prove it, or not. (?)

** now I have one project. the project is interdisciplinary of mathematics-physics-medicine, I have sent this to harvard university to offer. but in strong probability of the reason ; it has not been responded yet because of including very much faults by spelling & writing and also grammar. (I have written it very quickly because of some problems :( )

**I want to continue my studies as interdisciplinary , and also now, I have some articles whiches will be prepared to publish (I wish) in science journal, in goal of indexed sci or ssci.(information: the articles are related in math-sociology , the preparation is in process)

** I graduated in math department from istanbul university in 2013.

** I think I am creative. and want to improve my skills in music (instrument:keyboard) and music (composing) (I created some musics,but do not know how qualified is ,I love them :) )

QUESTİONS

1) actually what is the probability to work as teaching/research assitant in theese countries.(please assume ,at least one of my articles been published.or implemention of the project)

2)I am interested in functional analysis , and naturaly I think I have strong knowledge in base anlysis , is it possible to work as the position defined below ,DIRECTLY ,At the same time of acceptance to continue progress studies.(MSc (progress) ,and PhD) (CAUTİON: yes the project is interdisciplinary, but clearly it is not about statistics (I do not think being about applied math ,too), it is created only principals/theories with analysis,by my own)

3) what are your offers to success my ideas,could you express your ideas. (note: I have not enrolled to TOEFL and GRE,GMAT examinations yet)

and in general what are the requirements ,qualifications.

there it may be some incorectness by writing ,I will be thankfull for your politeness.

best regards.

Edited by blue89

Usually a PhD is required. Though I have seen some teaching assistant positions that do not require a PhD. You might also find some junior pre-doctoral research positions available, but I do not think these are very common.

Anyway, even with great qualifications the market for jobs is tough.

Usually a PhD is required. Though I have seen some teaching assistant positions that do not require a PhD. You might also find some junior pre-doctoral research positions available, but I do not think these are very common.

Anyway, even with great qualifications the market for jobs is tough.

hi dear ajb ;

may I ask this state : "which statement did you mean of : having PhD degree , or being a student in PhD programme..."

and could you express your own idea too, do you think that in all around world mathematicians have difficult options to have job,especially ,to clarify could we say that mathematicians have tighter job options than other science departments ,for instance is it true in comparison of math&computer engieering

thıs question is being asked to all mathematicians

I have one interdisciplinary project and some articles. I did not try to publish them. but my friend (have post doctora degree) said to me :

"you have to show recommend strong recommendation ,to do theese , or you have to have PhD degree ...(he said this is imperious!)"

I have been hurt in my heart because of this sentences... I am sad. :( , I have thought it will be enough to be intelligent and study hard. I also can make my studies by my own ,I don't need someone to tell me ..I love to learn by my own ,and I think I can do it.

this friend was almost my penfriend.

what is the reality ??

nowadays, there is some applications and because of informations given above , I would ask new questions too,

1)do you think I should continue in math department ?

2)I can choose computer engineering (this option is available)

*** what should I do , which of theese logical ? ,as you see my project has not been refused ,but has not been accepted ,too.

in conclusion I have one more question

3) in programme I couldn't see MSc programme for math. but there is available PhD programme.

now I am MSc student . will it be possible to choose PhD programme ...?

Edited by blue89

may I ask this state : "which statement did you mean of : having PhD degree , or being a student in PhD programme..."

I do see some PhD funding options that insist that you also work as a teaching assistant. Other positions I sometimes see are teaching fellows, which usually require a PhD.

and could you express your own idea too, do you think that in all around world mathematicians have difficult options to have job,especially ,to clarify could we say that mathematicians have tighter job options than other science departments ,for instance is it true in comparison of math&computer engieering

I do not know, but for sure in general there are few postdoc positions and even fewer permanent positions in universities and research institutes. Teaching at colleges and schools, maybe with some further teaching qualifications seems a less pressured job market.

what is the reality ??

I am not sure what you are asking. If it is 'can I publish without a PhD?', then the answer is yes. No journals that I know of ask for qualifications or that you be associated with a university or similar. However, as an 'outsider' your work maybe judged stricter than an established researcher. Moreover, you have to make sure you have done the work up to a reasonable standard, and this is what is usually lacking if you do not have a PhD. But still, don't let that put you off if you are sure you have something.

,as you see my project has not been refused ,but has not been accepted ,too.

Usually with a PhD project there will be a lot of scope to reshape it early on. A potential supervisor should have some starting ideas for you. All you really have to do is show interested in some area.

3) in programme I couldn't see MSc programme for math. but there is available PhD programme.

Other universities will offer such a course.

now I am MSc student . will it be possible to choose PhD programme ...?

If you are asking if your MSc has to be in the same subject as your chosen PhD research, then the answer is no.

You need a PhD to teach at an Australian University and academia is very competitive. You could teach secondary with a MSc but you will need to do a one year PGDE (Secondary). You would also be able to teach at TAFE (college) without a PhD. You'd need to do the IELTS test too and be able to demonstrate proficiency in English.

You need a PhD to teach at an Australian University

This isn't actually correct. The OP refers to teaching assistantships (TA's). I TA'ed throughout both my masters and PhD in Australia. Also, you do not need a PhD to be an adjunct professor or an associate lecturer in Australia. You do generally need a PhD to be a faculty member, but you can teach without being faculty or holding a PhD.

blue89 - if you're currently an MSc student, is there a reason you can't TA at your current institution? A TA/RA position is not really a career path - they're more something you do whilst doing your research degree to get cash/experience - you'd generally be a TA at the same time as being a an MSc/PhD student.

I do see some PhD funding options that insist that you also work as a teaching assistant. Other positions I sometimes see are teaching fellows, which usually require a PhD.

I do not know, but for sure in general there are few postdoc positions and even fewer permanent positions in universities and research institutes. Teaching at colleges and schools, maybe with some further teaching qualifications seems a less pressured job market.

dear scientists ; I am going to enterpret & answer the questions how possible is , this two passages are important ,and would be search of answer of "what is the reality?" question but more for "real quality " to be defined.

actually I do not know the real (everywhere) but I saw that there are lots of differences in same programme of universities also in the same city ,too.

for instance (in MSc programme) one of my friends said to me "what is your idea ,in this exam will we cheat..?"

yes ,sha asked this question! ..I was shocked ...because in BSc I have never done this and now.

and in my opinion this can not give us any quality.

I am not sure what you are asking. If it is 'can I publish without a PhD?', then the answer is yes. No journals that I know of ask for qualifications or that you be associated with a university or similar. However, as an 'outsider' your work maybe judged stricter than an established researcher. Moreover, you have to make sure you have done the work up to a reasonable standard, and this is what is usually lacking if you do not have a PhD. But still, don't let that put you off if you are sure you have something.

usually with a PhD project there will be a lot of scope to reshape it early on. A potential supervisor should have some starting ideas for you. All you really have to do is show interested in some area.

yes I had heard the first one you said. and I agree the second interpretation , but for second one I would give emphasis

I think , to explore something and studying hard ,theese are different. the first one include requirement of being relief ,but you may not be relief in the second statement (I mean for the second statement,there is probability to be indisposed at least for sometime) . but there is no doubt both of two statements are certainly valuable.

Other universities will offer such a course.

If you are asking if your MSc has to be in the same subject as your chosen PhD research, then the answer is no.

yes , I have asked ,this question and it is been trust. they said : "it is possible , you can apply with your BSc degree."

this was not possible for their native students, but there was not so requirements , when I asked/reminded to editor , he said "maybe it is applicable so for foreign students."

This isn't actually correct. The OP refers to teaching assistantships (TA's). I TA'ed throughout both my masters and PhD in Australia. Also, you do not need a PhD to be an adjunct professor or an associate lecturer in Australia. You do generally need a PhD to be a faculty member, but you can teach without being faculty or holding a PhD.

blue89 - if you're currently an MSc student, is there a reason you can't TA at your current institution? A TA/RA position is not really a career path - they're more something you do whilst doing your research degree to get cash/experience - you'd generally be a TA at the same time as being a an MSc/PhD student.

I think this part will iclude my special feature,and I give importance & value to this. I contacted to canberra university ,yes they said there is competitive for academy. but not so stressfull. arete may be more or less right.

but already I need theese to study hard and use my creative direction

1) silence remaining condition (home/rome(but lonely)/..tolive 2)convenient temperatured remaining to study 3)healthy/good/fresh and enough feed ..

sometimes ,I be worry , because I am not proprietor of theese ,now too. (before was , when I was in BSc level) ..

on the other hand ,I think theese are should not be so expensive. the job position arete said ,may be enough for theese.

and the answer of question arete asked: "in turkey there are a lot of strange situatioıns I thin, thats why ,a lot of difficulties available for some scientists like mathematicians (I have no job,there is so tight options), but more ,my mind is being muddled because of ,there are some departments , I can not see poverty for thgem ,but again the government take big amount worker from theese department.

to sum up , I think the mathematics is respective, but to show this clearly , I think we should explore something useful (in life) with requirement principles or theories of math.

help me please ;

I am new as you see (for publishing articles & projects) , but beforfe times I have studied hard. and I bet I am creative.

I have some articles, interdisciplinary , I would see them in science journals indexed SCI or SSCI ,

COULD YOU ADVİSE/SUGGEST TO ME ,SOME POPULAR SCIENCE JOURNALS IN CONVENIENCE REQUIREMENTS ABOVE.

(addition: my articles are related in math-sociology. (interdisciplinary))

thanks

sincerely.

Edited by blue89

You seem to be widening your questions away from your opening question.

If you want to fund your PhD by teaching, then that maybe possible. Some Universities offer such scholarships. The best thing to do is simply contact the universities that interest you and ask. They may also be able to offer suggestions for other funding options. But again, the bottom line is that you should speak to the postgraduate admissions people at the respective departments you have your eye on.