Psychological Test on Politicians?

silverghoul1

Should all politicians and presadintal runners (before you ask, no, this isn't aimed at Trump) take some form of a psychology* test, to even be considered for taking a job in the government. We have doctors who work in advance fields of health and science, and some of them have to take a test, right? Why not the people who run the country?

Edited by silverghoul1

Candidates tend to take a physical and release the results anyway, to show they are in good health. What would a physiology test show?

Well, if people are going to cry about politicians acting like fools, we could atleast check if they are right in the head. For example, what if a politician gets in an accident, and receive a head injury.

Well, if people are going to cry about politicians acting like fools, we could atleast check if they are right in the head. For example, what if a politician gets in an accident, and receive a head injury.

Why would a physiological exam show if they are "right in the head"? Do you mean psychological exam?

Candidates tend to take a physical and release the results anyway, to show they are in good health. What would a physiology test show?

Some of them behave like they don't have a heart, others just don't have the stomach for job, too many have serious voids where the brain should be, backbone is often found to be lacking, and almost all must have (metaphorical in some cases) cojones like watermelons to think they can get away with doing such a poor job.

I have seen upper houses in which a fair number would fail the mirror/breath test, I am pretty sure that half the UK cabinet are poikilothermic, in most politicians their endocrine systems seem to have been rejigged to work off levels of press coverage rather than hormones, and in general terms to keep themselve going instead of ATP they work on FPTP

Some of them behave like they don't have a heart, others just don't have the stomach for job, too many have serious voids where the brain should be, backbone is often found to be lacking, and almost all must have (metaphorical in some cases) cojones like watermelons to think they can get away with doing such a poor job.

I have seen upper houses in which a fair number would fail the mirror/breath test, I am pretty sure that half the UK cabinet are poikilothermic, in most politicians their endocrine systems seem to have been rejigged to work off levels of press coverage rather than hormones, and in general terms to keep themselve going instead of ATP they work on FPTP

In the UK they could check for a stiff upper lip.

———

The problem in the US is that there is no requirement. The requirements for presidential eligibility are related to citizenship and age. Everything else is at the discretion of the candidate and the voters. If a candidate thinks it necessary (much like many candidates feel a need to demonstrate they are religious) s/he could undergo such an exam. But I suspect that by itself would be a point of attack by a rival. Such is the nature of politics and mental-health stigma in the US.

• 1 month later...

Should all politicians and presadintal runners (before you ask, no, this isn't aimed at Trump) take some form of a psychology* test, to even be considered for taking a job in the government. We have doctors who work in advance fields of health and science, and some of them have to take a test, right? Why not the people who run the country?

From what I understand the republican party and conservative Americans people are experiencing culture shock of liberal sociaty in the US!!! So this pushes them more to right every year. So every election conservative agenda becomes more cult than political ideology.

This is why every election conservative become more silly like and more extreame views.

This why the conservative party will never and I say never now just run for election and say vote for me you get a small government and lower tax money!! The republican party must dumbed down election every time and pass silly laws that would never got pass in the 90's.

Like LGBT must use own bathroom, allowing businesses to NOT surve LGBT, 3-stike laws yes even on misdemeanor offense, more street camaras, more prisons,allowing out of control police, border problem and more war happy so on.

This why Trump is more silly like and strange than Bush.

Bush was a hard conservative but he would never say or do stupid things. Next election there be other person like Trump with even more extreame views and silly like.

Now to the point why US election come across like nothing more than silly, angry and drunk politicians yelling at bar!!

Look at election in the UK and Canada than the US it is very different.

The US is dumbing down election so much it to point of silly.

I have spent years assessing fitness to stand trial, criminal responsibility related to mental health, and certifiability. All of the candidates appear to pass the most basic tests for "sane." Of course I haven't formally assessed them, but there are no indications they wouldn't pass these legal standards, if they were all Canadian, like Cruz.Personality disorders, now that's a different kettle of fish.

When I was processed for a government Top Secret Security Clearance, I had to take a polygraph (lie detector) exam. Since the President is going to have access to all Top Secret government info, perhaps he or she (the prospective office holders) should also undergo a similar polygraph exam.

When I was processed for a government Top Secret Security Clearance, I had to take a polygraph (lie detector) exam. Since the President is going to have access to all Top Secret government info, perhaps he or she (the prospective office holders) should also undergo a similar polygraph exam.

Would that mean anything, legally speaking? He or she would still be the person elected to the position.

At most, you could maybe require candidates for office to undergo a polygraph and then publish the results for the public prior to voting, but that doesn't seem likely to occur either.

A similar idea came up two months ago. I disagreed with it then, too: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/93302-should-we-hide-the-identities-of-presidential-runners/page-2#entry903617

Summary: Polygraphs are mostly crap as indicators and are too easily cheated.

Bush was a hard conservative but he would never say or do stupid things

That has to be a joke, right? You're just mocking American conservatives, by rubbing their noses in the Bush Presidency?

At most, you could maybe require candidates for office to undergo a polygraph and then publish the results for the public prior to voting, -
Intelligent and dangerous sociopaths routinely beat those tests. You'd be screening out the better, not the worse, candidates for office. Edited by overtone

Compared to today's GOP, W was a saintly genius.

Or you could leave the bar at "village idiot", which makes Cruz and the other guy top out somewhere between "half-wit mosquito" and "dead pill bug".

I think a more reliable test would be an FBI profile. Don't let the candidates take a test they can figure out how to beat, which surely includes lie detectors. Instead, have a profiler watch a few hours of video footage from the campaign trail, then tell us what they can about the candidate. I'll bet the FBI has a lot to say about both the Republican front-runners.

As long as they can do it without breaking into anyone's iPhone.

Compared to today's GOP, W was a saintly genius

Optical illusion caused by distance. Reagan looks even smarter - he's farther away.

The current Republican Party is not an aberration, not a departure from some former self of competence and dignified responsibility. There isn't a Republican legitimately on the scene any more incapable and ignorant and petty on the take than Sarah Palin or Spiro Agnew, any more clueless than W or Reagan, any more evil than Cheney or Nixon, any more hapless than Romney or Bush Sr. This is the Republican Party we in the loyal opposition have been watching do its thing for forty years and more.

Trump's just being unusually blunt and vulgar about it. Plus, he is saying true things about important Republicans and the cooperative press - a quick way to make long enmities.

Cruz and Trump are actually, probably, the two smartest Republican Presidential candidates we've seen in quite a while.

Edited by overtone