Iraq war

Mr Rayon

hey guys,

I was just wondering what was it that caused the Iraq war to occur?

How did politicians from various countries manage to manipulate the masses in such a coordinated way as to be successful in fulfilling their objectives of starting a war??

Also, who have been the major beneficiaries of the war??

Did the Iraqi people do enough to prevent other countries from attacking their country?

If you were a politician and Iraqi and wanted to prevent such a conflict what would you do?

Do ordinary people have any power at all? What was it which lead to so many people being killed and so many people doing nothing?

Typically, is it easy to start wars like this? I'm scared there will be more wars in future and want to prevent future wars from happening in future but do I have any power to influence the masses?

Is there anything we can learn from the Iraq war to prevent future events from happening?

What happened to make so many countries believe Iraq had WMDs?

Oh me oh my. You ask a question that has many answers for every war, and it depends on which history you believe. Although, it also comes down to the DNA in man. Cows don't war, but man does.

Some people read the bible and become monks, priests, or preachers; others read it and become atheists. Similarly, people who read history see different messages. It is difficult not to read without prejudice, but if you can, you will see many things not previously considered.

Edited by EdEarl

Oh me oh my. You ask a question that has many answers for every war, and it depends on which history you believe.

What are the alternatives/options of possible answers to believe for the Iraq war?

To the OP, resources like these may assist you in forming less broad questions: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/view/

Thanks for the link. I will refer the video properly when I have more time to do so effectively.

Most wars are simply based in gaining access to land and cheaper resources. Profit for arms manufacturers also weigh in.

I know that but how was the intention to carry out a war in Iraq so well coordinated by the higher ups within and between nations so as not to cause any suspicion of any wrong doing by the average peoples?

A lot of people have died and lots of money spent financing these wars and I think we all deserve proper answers (at least for those who don't know much about it).

Edited by Mr Rayon

The information is out there, but it's mixed in with some conspiracy bullshit and patriotism. Many of the western governments swung to the right ideologically through the 90's and into the 2000's. When Bush decided he needed to follow god's plan, it opened up a huge can of worms.

What are the alternatives/options of possible answers to believe?

No one here has the time to relate the history of various wars and the motivations of the many key personalities who made decisions to go to war. Moreover, this forum is not the proper venue for such a massive work.

Some reasons are fear, fun, hate, love, and power. IMO those are unsatisfying answers. I suspect you should read a good book about distressing times, such as a Tale of Tow Cities, or perhaps you would prefer to watch a documentary, such as Ken Burns The Civil War. There are books and videos about Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Hitler, and others.

I'd say that until you have read enough to be confused about people's motivations for going to war, you won't have an answer to your question.

Edited by EdEarl

This book gives a pretty good history of the Middle East, country by country specifically focusing on the Arab Spring. It goes into the history of the actors throughout the region. The explanation of America's role is a bit simplistic, but I found it invaluable in learning about that region of the world.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Middle-East-Spring/dp/1408870177

This book gives a pretty good history of the Middle East, country by country specifically focusing on the Arab Spring. It goes into the history of the actors throughout the region. The explanation of America's role is a bit simplistic, but I found it invaluable in learning about that region of the world.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Middle-East-Spring/dp/1408870177

The Haj by Leon Uris is a good historical story about the wars against Israel starting circa 1940.

• 2 weeks later...

No one here has the time to relate the history of various wars and the motivations of the many key personalities who made decisions to go to war. Moreover, this forum is not the proper venue for such a massive work.

Some reasons are fear, fun, hate, love, and power. IMO those are unsatisfying answers. I suspect you should read a good book about distressing times, such as a Tale of Tow Cities, or perhaps you would prefer to watch a documentary, such as Ken Burns The Civil War. There are books and videos about Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Hitler, and others.

I'd say that until you have read enough to be confused about people's motivations for going to war, you won't have an answer to your question.

Now that you’ve done this twice; I have to wonder if you use that phrase to mask a bias.

What bias do you suspect?

The OP first question was, "I was just wondering what was it that caused the Iraq war to occur?" I believe one can trace motivations as historical, religious, social and personal. While national leaders actually send armies to war, in democracies they need popular support; thus, thousands to billions of people conspire to make war. There is no simple answer to such a question. A forum such as this cannot possibly address the issues fully.

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

I was just wondering what was it that caused the Iraq war to occur?

How did politicians from various countries manage to manipulate the masses in such a coordinated way as to be successful in fulfilling their objectives of starting a war??

Also, who have been the major beneficiaries of the war??

Did the Iraqi people do enough to prevent other countries from attacking their country?

If you were a politician and Iraqi and wanted to prevent such a conflict what would you do?

Do ordinary people have any power at all? What was it which lead to so many people being killed and so many people doing nothing?

Typically, is it easy to start wars like this? I'm scared there will be more wars in future and want to prevent future wars from happening in future but do I have any power to influence the masses?

Is there anything we can learn from the Iraq war to prevent future events from happening?

What happened to make so many countries believe Iraq had WMDs?

Well if you wish to prevent a war it's probably not a good idea to have your President threatening a major allie of the United States as was the case with Saddam Hussein threatening to release anthrax onto the underground and streets of London. You have to figure that probably had some baring on Tony Blair's willingness to go to war.