Light may be particle in nature...

dhamim ansari

We all know that SOUND is a wave but sound waves cannot transmit through glass

But then can... the speed of sound in standard glass is about 4540 m/s

if LIGHT is a wave then how can they transmit through glass

There is no fundamental problem here, so I am not quite sure what you are asking. You could look up geometric optics, or physical optics if you want.

so can we say that light is a particle.

Yes we can.

The quanta of light is a photon.

please explain...

Sound can go through glass (I can hear the traffic outside). But tennis balls can't. Therefore sound (and light) must be a wave. :)

Edited by Strange

Therefore sound must be a wave. :)

Until you look at molecular vibrations and encounter phonons!

Basically, all waves have particle-like properties and all particles have wave-like properties. The distinction is a very classical notion and not one that fits all phenomena we see in nature.

But tennis balls can't.

My nephew can confirm that golf balls, on the other hand, can go through the windows of his granddad's greenhouse.

My nephew can confirm that golf balls, on the other hand, can go through the windows of his granddad's greenhouse.

When I was young, we were taking turns bouncing one of those powerballs off a wall on the other side of the street and then catching it. One of us accidentally (I think) bounced it off a huge window: it bounced back, someone caught it. And then the window collapsed (and we ran like crazy!)

please explain...

Light have both particle and wave nature and that's what I learned in 9th grade.

There was a huge debate in the time of Newton and there were different scientist suggesting different things and they finally concluded that light have both particle and wave nature

Is light the only thing we know of that isn't made up of atoms ? If so can somebody explain why?, can a photon be split ?

Photons are an elementary particle, created inside an atom from energized electrons orbiting the nucleus.

Is light the only thing we know of that isn't made up of atoms ? If so can somebody explain why?, can a photon be split ?

Well, subatomic particles are (perhaps obviously) not made of atoms. And there are some of those that are not components of atoms, either. E.g. neutrinos or muons.

• 2 weeks later...