Two tank system

Domagoj

If we have 2 Tanks. Tank 1 is on the hill, and Tank 2 is on the bottom of the hill. They are connected, is it possible that whole water doesnt go to the Tank 2. And can someone explain to me hydraulic grade line, head loss, and energy line.

Bottom of tank 1 is above the top of tank 2.

Outlet is going from the bottom of tank 1, diagonaly to the bottom of tank 2.

The thing I want to find out....is there a way for those two Tanks to be connected so they are both full... Is that even possible and I would like if someone can explain what exactly head loss mean and is it connected with my problem.

Bottom of tank 1 is above the top of tank 2.

Outlet is going from the bottom of tank 1, diagonaly to the bottom of tank 2.

The thing I want to find out....is there a way for those two Tanks to be connected so they are both full... Is that even possible and I would like if someone can explain what exactly head loss mean and is it connected with my problem.

That's absolutely possible, as long as tank 2 doesn't leak, and the tank and pipes can handle the pressure. Essentially, you can think of it as one single tank, that happens to have a complicated shape.

I m not an expert in these things so correct me if I m wrong..Head is the height of the water in a Tank... Does head loss mean that that height is lowered so that Tank in the bottom of the hill can have water in it, without the water being spilled out of the bottom tank.

lets say the tanks are open and water can go out

Look at this drawing (dont mind the text in the picture)...Is it possible that water stays that way and doesnt go out through the lower tank

post-116206-0-77356700-1456619944_thumb.jpg

Note the word "discharge" in the 2nd bullet point. Water is flowing, at 0.5 m^3/s.

Energy is lost as the water flows through pipes, and through that constriction, but nothing in that picture is going to keep the water in the top tank. *

Edit: * That is, unless the height elevations of the water does become equal. In the diagram, it's not certain that the bottom of A will always be above the top of B.

And, they are asking for the elevation of B, at the time when the flow is as noted. They are not implying the heights are static.

Edited by pzkpfw

• 2 weeks later...