Split-The Angry Intellect-Plea to go easier on new members

I remember very clearly feeling under attack early in my life here. It was not by the mods but by a handful of long time members, and it was almost entirely in the religion section. Many still behave that way toward newcomers. Well, not newcomers so much as people who are inexperienced in debate and formal logic.

I'm probably a tad guilty of that, myself. Am glad you're still here. I've rethought and altered a number of my positions as a direct result of posts you've made. I've also softened many of my rougher edges through the years (though clearly not all).

[mp][/mp]

You've given points to a post that doesn't even seem to make sense!

What does the last sentence even mean "Though, I'm admittedly neutral on The."?

PS: I see it has 3 points and I still can't understand what is being said.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

It was a serious point followed by a mediocre joke. Please try not to read too much into it and just move on.

In a way, a visit to a science forum is not unlike a first time dip in an unfamiliar public swimming pool. The visitor is likely to be, in either venue, self-conscious, unless of course they are attractive in a swimsuit or scientifically competent in either of the appropriate regards.

When I started here I was a nervous wreck every time I was posting, it took me well over a year to calm down. I'm sure it caused me to overreact in my responses to the inquiries of others. I believe this is the crux of the matter here.

A swimming facility with an inadequate filtering system would likely not attract the novice, amateur or professional clientele that overwhelmingly behave properly and have the appropriate hygiene practices that takes the considerations of the other users as a priority.

Do the moderators, from many threads experience, perceive a likely pattern of behavior in many new members and act in a predictable manner in response? Probably so. Are they usually right? Most likely.

One can imagine a swimming hole somewhere else, where all the drunken locals show up for their bath/swim/ let’s just relieve ourselves while we’re at it, no need for rules.

What we are considering here after all is how clean and inviting this site appears to a first time visitor/prospective member, not to mention the continued satisfaction of the regular members.

I really do not see any problems with the moderation on this site. They keep the site working smoothly for the overall benefit of all members and visitors. Thanks for all the hard work, you are appreciated!

Do we need or really want a separate kiddie pool with a low or no hygiene requirement?

Does it seem likely these individuals would not become lax in discerning their location and their appropriate responsibilities in regards to it?

Would other new members not realize that they have clicked onto an unregulated thread from the new content list and assume the whole site is a free for all? I see a cross contamination issue in this idea.

edit: spelling error.

Edited by arc

Do the moderators, from many threads experience, perceive a likely pattern of behavior in many new members and act in a predictable manner in response? Probably so. Are they usually right? Most likely.

Not that I am a moderator, but I can often predict what is going to happen with certain threads.

Usually the poster ignores the input, questions and criticisms of members. They quite often like to stress they have no formal education and clearly they lack some basic scientific vocabulary. They then say, 'it is only a theory' and reject the need for mathematics if they are trying to discuss physics. Then they get angry that no one is agreeing with them and they start to resort to insults and questioning credentials of the other members. Then the rant about the science community is like the church and that they are like Galileo comes. At this point all hope of a further scientific discussion is lost.

Of course, not all threads by new members go this way, but it does seem to be a patten that does repeat itself.

I will also say that having an idea is not against the rules, nor is being wrong with that idea. The usual reason a thread goes of the rails and moderators have to get involved is the attitude of members who fail to engage with other members and like to soap-box telling people who are actually involved in science that they are wrong.

Edited by ajb

Ok I'm going to do the moderators job here, we should probably end this particular thread or else get back onto the original topic that was not actually started by me but by someone else.

I was just bringing something to attention, which in my views is perfectly valid, I also offered a recommendation which would help mitigate some of the issues here by allowing another area of the forums to be more newcomer friendly and allow them to post their own questions without being ridiculed or threatened for their lack of scientific understandings.

What I said makes sense and what I recommended in response to all these posts was actually a good solution.

Some of the users & mods will always disagree with me because they can't help themselves, they have ego problems which is ironic since that's supposed to be the case with me while using this online persona. ;)

This thread has gone way off course and really needs to end, the points I was making obviously fell on deaf ears, so let's just forget I said anything and please get back on topic or end this thread.

P.S. iNow, I got the joke & I must admit I laughed my arse off when I read it. :)

I also offered a recommendation which would help mitigate some of the issues here by allowing another area of the forums to be more newcomer friendly...

By offering an 'anything goes section'?

...and allow them to post their own questions without being ridiculed or threatened for their lack of scientific understandings.

Are people being ridiculed and threatened?

If so then please report the posts for moderation. That can of behaviour is not what we want on this forum.

I'm not trying to become another target for the mods to attack here, but could you "moderators" & some long-term members take it a bit easier on some of the not so scientifically minded individuals that probably just come to these forums to post questions about something... Considering they probably got confused with the term "speculation" and thought it meant you can come into this section to post things that don't have any theories or studies backing them up.

I believe they are more so just wanting to post their own "theory" or curious thoughts to the more educated & informed people residing in the forums for their feedback on the particular question...

Instead of receiving a subtle (passive-aggressive?) response which they all seem to get whenever they speak without citing or referencing anything...............................

What I'm getting at is this: Stop being self-righteous pricks towards newcomers who just want someone smarter than they are on the particular issue to give them some feedback.

I'm sure many others reading this feel the same way. Some of you do come across as excessively harsh. Feel free to click the negative button or delete my post, you usually do.

Posts or more rightly threads of the wild guess status could be started in the trash can couldn't they? I have found you can have a good old discussion from the trash can if you feel that way.

The forum is protected for I have a feeling (based on past experience) that items in the trash can't be viewed by unregistered readers and they aren't searchable via Google.

Sirona

People can be rude, especially online; get over it.

Have you considered that there are other forms of rudeness besides direct insults, some of which are particularly counterproductive?

Do you not consider it rude to post a question you clearly desire the answer to;

for someone else to put possibly considerable time and effort into constructing a cogent reply,

for the originator never to return.

I post here to help others but I sometimes wonder if it is worth ever helping anyone again.

Edited by studiot

Have you considered that there are other forms of rudeness besides direct insults, some of which are particularly counterproductive?

Do you not consider it rude to post a question you clearly desire the answer to;

for someone else to put possibly considerable time and effort into costructing a cogent reply,

for the originator never to return.

I post here to help others but I sometimes wonder if it is worth ever helping anyone again.

I agree. There are several versions to that trick. Like you can be asked to go over your theory again, or read a very complicated paper even when it will not provide an answer, and as you say just be asked some difficult question and they expect citations along with your answer.

I suppose your contribution to this thread is just a coincidence then ;)

There aren't many other science topics being discussed at present. I've stopped with the pointless analysis as I said I would.

Some of the users & mods will always disagree with me because they can't help themselves, they have ego problems which is ironic since that's supposed to be the case with me while using this online persona. ;)

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

!

Moderator Note

Hammers are good for you.

Indeed they can be - and I think on that note I will bring the hammer down on this thread.

I believe it has run its course and I am going to lock it; any measured and relevant comments have already been made and all that remains is for (more) insults to fly - and I would prefer that not to happen