I want bubbles, zillions of them...

Externet

Hi.

What compound would be the most convenient to mix with mortar to expand it to a very lightweight pumice type end product with non-toxic microbubbles?

I say micro because I believe that if the bubbles are somewhat large, would surface too easily before the cement cures.

Thanks,

Miguel :)

Hi.

What compound would be the most convenient to mix with mortar to expand it to a very lightweight pumice type end product with non-toxic microbubbles?

I say micro because I believe that if the bubbles are somewhat large' date=' would surface too easily before the cement cures.

Thanks,

Miguel :)[/quote']

I have machined a substance that was similar to styrofoam, but it was impregated with hollow glass balls.

http://www.eagerplastics.com/7962.htm

They're not terribly expensive.

Hi.

Yes, you may say a concrete block to scrub with. :)

Was more inclined to a (finely powdered) alka-seltzer type of compound to be mixed dry with Portland cement; to release microbubbles at the moment of wetting the mix.... A cheap sodium bicarbonate type of compound.

Miguel

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Try an expanding grout. I believe these contain aluminium powder, the cement alkali releases hydrogen. No smoking! Can these be mixed with ordinary (Portland) cement? I don't know. Possibly. This is a question for a building supplier. Expanding grout has been used on pre-stressed, post-tensioned concrete bridges.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting bubbles to form evenly throughout the mix, not come to the surface and not ruin the integrity of the cement is going to be pretty tough.

Why not just add perlite? That's how most lightweight concrete mixes are made anyway.

no, you`ll just end up making Calcium Citrate or Calcium Ascorbate. the CO2 will react with the Calcium hydroxide to form the Carbonate (no bubbles).

Al or Zn powder should work well though, aim for Amphoteric ;)

edit: Oh and another thing, Excess CO2 in calcium hydroxide will make the Bicarbonate and that`s Perfectly soluble, and thus useless.

I should have though of this before the yeast idea, apologies for that oversight!