Thoughts on the Microscopic Implications of the Discovery of Gravitational Waves

toastywombel

The recent news of gravitational waves is quite a big turn of events.

I'm curious about the implications on the randomness of quantum information in space time. As larger objects that operate under relativity seem to follow the calculations exactly. I am wondering if quanta operate differently as they are effected by a greater than 0 constant in background gravity. Much how the surface of a body of water produces waves if there are items moving around on its surface. One could imagine that a spec of dust on the surface of this body of water would be much harder to measure, and its positional change over time relative to an observer would appear much more "random" for the observer.

I guess the staple principle is that the differences in measuring at the plank scale general physics and quantum mechanics has to do with the fact that quantum mechanics calculates for randomness of a certain degree, and that degree of randomness is caused by the fluctuations in space time by all the gravitational events that proceed throughout the given system and in this case the universe.

Space time is more like a churning ocean, and not so much like a flat pond. Therefore very small objects on the surface of space time are more greatly effected in position constantly by a greater than zero gravity background. One could almost say gravity radiation.

Thoughts? Hopefully I articulated my point clearly.

Edited by toastywombel

Are you asking if gravitational wave astronomy gives a window on quantum gravity?

If so, I think not, at least with the kind of observations we are able to see in the foreseeable future.

However, the gravitational waves that we are likely to detect do come from some of the most extreme gravitational phenomena we know of. Looking for 'residual' effects of quantum gravity in these extreme situations maybe the only window on quantum gravity we will ever have.