Happy Valentine's day.

tar

Gee,

I have already secured three Valentines (three on the right in my profile picture) with this lovely display my daughter got from her boyfriend.

Would like to secure just one more, among the good women that grace this board with their intelligence, vision and desires for a better world.

Gee, will you be my valentine?post-15509-0-78435000-1455384048_thumb.jpg

Best Regards, TAR

Edited by tar

What's Valentine's Day but another occasion to spend unnecessary amounts of money? If you love someone, make them feel special everyday, you don't need a designated day to have an excuse for that.

There's a trade-off, whilst there is clear financial incentive it is an event. it's a break in the routine life, people get to talk about it with others. We are social animals, this is why festivals and events are so popular. Whilst making someone feel special all the time is nice it's not that easy. If you're doing it all the time then it's no longer special and there are a few people out there who would think it's too much. We have busy lives to small encouragements such as thanksgiving, Chirstmas, birthdays etc are a way of bumping us back into the giving and spoiling type. Don't get me wrong I've worked in A and E and seen the suicides at christmas (I don't celebrate christmas) and I don't celebrate my birthday either but in general if done sensibly these celebrations are beneficial to society. This is why all societies all over the world have celebrations at marked times of the year.

There's a trade-off, whilst there is clear financial incentive it is an event. it's a break in the routine life, people get to talk about it with others. We are social animals, this is why festivals and events are so popular. Whilst making someone feel special all the time is nice it's not that easy. If you're doing it all the time then it's no longer special and there are a few people out there who would think it's too much. We have busy lives to small encouragements such as thanksgiving, Chirstmas, birthdays etc are a way of bumping us back into the giving and spoiling type. Don't get me wrong I've worked in A and E and seen the suicides at christmas (I don't celebrate christmas) and I don't celebrate my birthday either but in general if done sensibly these celebrations are beneficial to society. This is why all societies all over the world have celebrations at marked times of the year.

I somewhat disagree with you. It's a sense of community, shared experiences and belonging which are beneficial to society; this does not necessarily mean that Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc are beneficial. For example public events (concerts, fundraisers, fireworks) are much more beneficial for society because they not only bring people together, create shared experiences and a sense of belonging but they also promote equality because they bring together people of all walks of life together in the one space and they're free and inclusive. I always feel stressed when it's Christmas, Birthdays, Easter and Valentine's because although I don't believe in the significance of these occasions, I need to make an effort not for my own benefit but because I come across as uncaring, cheap, disorganised, selfish unless I adhere to this expected etiquette. I do always make the effort because relationships are more important to me than proving a point, but they're celebrations that I don't look forward to. However, this weekend I went down to the beach to watch the Surf Life Saving NSW Competition where beach and surf enthusiasts from all over Sydney attended and it was a stress free day, a great way to get involved in the local community, meet other enthusiasts, share some food and beer with friends and relax.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with you guys ;) honestly, I love the idea of valentines day, but during the past centuries, it has become rather commercial… me and my boyfriend, we don’t care about valentines day any longer. This year, we didn’t even get a chance to celebrate it, because we had to celebrate my aunties birthday… and it didn’t bothered us! But once a month, he bys me flowers (without any special occasion ;)) and tells me nearly everyday that he loves me more than anything else (and of course, I tell him exactly the same) ;)